In modern society, pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, joints, and muscle tissue are common. First of all, this is due to hypotension and insufficient physical activity. The body needs constant movement for normal functioning. Hypotension is the cause of many diseases, one of which is osteochondrosis.
Treatment of pathology is a long, multi-stage process, which involves physical activity. Are all sports equally effective and useful for diseases of the spine? Would running with osteochondrosis harm? Doctors do not recommend running during an exacerbation of pathology, as well as patients with advanced forms of osteochondrosis. But what about the rest of the situations? Let’s figure it out.
What is osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis is a disease characterized by severe pathological changes in the intervertebral discs, which is accompanied by pain and muscle cramps. If earlier the symptoms of the disease manifested themselves in old age, today the situation has changed. The reasons for the “rejuvenation” of osteochondrosis:
- Sedentary lifestyle;
- Improper nutrition;
- Bad habits.
Many patients with the appearance of back pain consciously refuse physical activity, believing that they will harm the spine. However, this is not entirely true. Indeed, certain sports can provoke complications and worsen the condition of the patient. But an absolute refusal to train is no less dangerous for the health of the patient.
The positive effect of physiotherapy for osteochondrosis is as follows:
- Blood flow is activated, the capillaries are filled with blood and oxygen, as a result of the tissue receive the necessary amount of nutrients;
- During physical exertion, the inspiration becomes deeper and fuller, carbon dioxide is more quickly eliminated from the body, the process of ventilation is normalized;
- Physical activity, provided that they are selected correctly, give pleasure and start the process of synthesis of the hormone of happiness;
- Sport has a general strengthening effect on the body, activates the work of all internal organs and metabolic processes.
With osteochondrosis, the most important thing for the patient is the choice of the actual sport. After all, physical activity should be beneficial, and not harm.
Opinions of experts on the benefits of running with osteochondrosis were divided. Some believe that running improves the patient’s condition, while others categorically against such loads. All doctors are right to a certain extent.
There are no blood vessels in the cartilage, the necessary nutrients come from the soft tissues. In addition, cartilage tissue is not restored. As a result of long-term loads, deformation of the intervertebral discs occurs, along with this, blood flow deteriorates.
Two main causes of pathological changes:
- Excessive physical exertion;
- The complete lack of sport.
The most dangerous pose for the spine is sitting. In this case, the intervertebral discs experience too much stress, congestion in the circulatory system develops. Muscles lose their tone, strength and endurance, and it is muscle tissue that supports the vertebrae and prevents trauma to the discs.
Sport is an excellent prevention of osteochondrosis, but is it possible to run with the symptoms of the disease.
When you can’t run
Running involves constant jumping and hitting a hard surface, with the main loads being on the lower limbs and spine. During jogging, intervertebral discs receive multiple microtrauma and, if you do not follow the correct running technique and follow the recommendations, the discomfort increases, pain attacks occur more often and become longer.
However, there are doctors who claim that running is useful for osteochondrosis, but only at the initial stage of the disease.
The benefits of running with the disease
In most cases, running with joint deformation is dangerous, but this type of physical activity helps to cope with some symptoms of pathology. In order for the training to benefit, it is necessary to take into account the patient’s condition and observe the running technique. Of course, before starting training, you need to visit a doctor and consult with him.
How to run with osteochondrosis:
- Jogging is allowed only in the initial stages of the disease;
- No need to set records, you need to train in pleasure, not in a hurry, jogging is enough;
- Before training, you need to thoroughly stretch yourself – to perform tilts, squats, turns of the body, warm up your feet, calf muscles well;
- With osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, neck muscles should also be warmed up;
- For jogging, choose a soft, springy surface – grass, a track with a rubber coating, but training on asphalt is prohibited.
It is important to follow the running technique – landing a foot on a hard surface should look like a smooth roll from toe to heel. If you run only on toes, the shin muscles experience a strong load, which leads to inflammation of the Achilles tendon. Running on the heels is dangerous with excessive load on the back.
The technique of rolling from socks to the heel allows you to distribute the load as evenly as possible while running over the entire area of the foot, thereby softening the force of the impact when landing.
During running, the amplitude of the ankle joint should be maximum, and the setting of the foot should be comfortable.
The back remains straight during training. You also need to choose the right sports shoes – with maximum ability to absorb shock. Sneakers should be slightly larger than the size of the foot – the width of one finger. If pain occurs during the run, you need to immediately stop, relax the leg muscles and take an anesthetic.
If you can’t imagine life without jogging, consult a doctor and develop the optimal training scheme. It is strictly forbidden to train despite the prohibition of a specialist, this will only worsen the state of health and accelerate the development of pathological processes in the joints and spine. It is best to medically stop the pain, wait for the period of remission, and after the approval of the doctor begin training.
Start jogging – this technique and speed are safe for the spine and joints, at the same time – the muscles become sturdier.
Optimal running with osteochondrosis
For all forms of osteochondrosis, it is best to run on an electric treadmill. The canvas moves automatically, so during the training you do not need to make efforts to move it. The load on the joints, intervertebral discs and vertebrae is reduced.
In osteochondrosis, it is strictly forbidden to run on a mechanical treadmill – to bring the track into motion, additional efforts will be required, which inevitably lead to strokes.
Doctors recommend not even running, but walking at an intense pace. During training, you need to control the heart rate, adjusting the pace to the rhythm of the heart. It is forbidden to create a slope of the track.
It is better for beginners to start by walking at an average pace, gradually increasing speed and increasing the duration of training. When the muscles are strong enough, you can go to run at a slow pace.
There are clinics where treadmills of a mechanical type are installed in pools, under water. In this case, the water neutralizes the load of the treadmill, but the effectiveness of the training process is maintained and the heart muscle is strengthened. If possible, find a clinic where there is such a service.
If you cannot train on a treadmill, exercise outdoors. Choose paths in a park or forest. Shoes should be comfortable, with thick soles that absorb shock and neutralize vibration.
To maximize your workout and relief, follow these simple guidelines:
- Constantly follow the running technique, first of all, this applies to beginners, then the correct setting of the legs will work out automatically;
- The inside of the feet should be parallel;
- A small angle between the socks is allowed, in this case, the load during repulsion falls on the thumb;
- Use the roll technique – from toe to heel, so that the load is evenly distributed over the entire foot;
- Choose the optimal stride length so that your workouts are not only useful, but also comfortable;
- The upper body remains stationary relative to the vertical axis, this will slow down and even stop the destructive processes in the spine;
- During training, do not lean back or forward;
- Running on hard surfaces will be harmful, because every time a contact occurs with asphalt, a blow occurs – microtrauma of the muscles and joints;
- Always start a run with a warm-up – work out and knead all the muscles and joints, during the warm-up you need to carefully listen to the sensations – at the slightest sign of discomfort, you need to stop or change the exercise;
- Each run should be started with walking, gradually increasing the pace, moving on to running;
- Watch the position of the body during training – it should remain level;
- Shoes should be running with orthopedic, thick soles;
- After running, you need to stretch, restore breathing, take a contrast shower.
The best sport for osteochondrosis
It must be understood that the choice of the optimal sport for deformation and damage to the spine is an individual process. Several important criteria must be considered:
- Patient age;
- Physical training;
- Health status;
- The presence of concomitant pathologies.
The disease with the same name “osteochondrosis” appears and develops differently in different patients – the symptoms, the intensity of the pain, and the rate of disease progression differ. You should also take into account the likelihood of complications that can manifest sex due to concomitant diseases.
For most patients, doctors recommend swimming and water aerobics. These sports have a restorative effect on the whole body. In addition, in water, the load on the spine is distributed as evenly as possible and reduced. The aquatic environment gives all movements softness and smoothness. This allows you to quickly achieve effective results and positive therapeutic effects.
Swimming is also the prevention of diseases of the spine. During training, the weight normalizes, the muscle corset becomes stronger, and the body tone increases.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency. But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of this medication.