With gout, doctors, as an additional method of treatment, respond well to massage, always emphasizing that it must be combined with physiotherapy, drug therapy. In the treatment of exacerbation of inflammation, massaging is contraindicated, but at the time of a smooth flow, the treatment procedure helps to effectively stop pathological symptoms and eliminate swelling.
Massage for gout
- Features of the course of gout
- Causes and symptoms
- The goals of therapeutic massage and general recommendations for its implementation
- Massage Technique
- Massaging the limbs
- Foot massage
- Is it possible to do massage with gout: indications and contraindications
- Proper massage for gout
- Massage at home
- Preventive and therapeutic hand massage
- Massage for gout on the legs
- Analgesic massage
- Medical massage
- Massage for gout
- The goal of therapeutic massage for gout
- General massage recommendations
- Features of massage for gout
- Massage techniques for gout
- Upper Shoulder Massage
- Gouty arthritis of the joints of the legs
- Gout Rehabilitation
- Massage for gout relieves pain
- Non-drug treatment
- How to deal with gout
- Gout diet
- Physiotherapy Methods
- Therapeutic exercise
- Massage treatment
- Secrets of the procedure
- Massage technique for arthritis of the hands
- Features of the procedure for lesions of the legs
- Contra-indications for the procedure
- Prophylaxis of gout
- Answers to questions
- Important Gout Massage Information: Help, Not Harm
- The need for massage for gout
- General tasks and sequence of massage procedures
- The main methods of treating gout massage
- Features of the course of gout
- The goals of therapeutic massage for gout and general recommendations for its implementation
- Massage technique for gout
- Conclusion on the topic
Features of the course of gout
In the literal translation from Greek “gout” means “a foot in a trap”. If a person at least once in his life felt the influence of this disease, he will note the accuracy of such a comparison.
Gouty arthritis is a complicated form of rheumatism. It affects the joints and internal organs. The disease provokes metabolic problems, an increase in the concentration of uric acids in the body.
Gout can develop in two forms:
Primary is caused by genetic disorders, when the human body lacks the enzymes responsible for the conversion of acid salts to soluble ones. Uric acid builds up and settles on the joints, causing gout. Salt can form stones in the kidneys, and often they also lead to a diagnosis of diabetes.
The secondary form develops when a person already has a chronic or long-running disease that requires constant administration of drugs that slow down the excretion of salts. This can be, for example, endocrine abnormalities or blood diseases, which lead to the development of gout.
Causes and symptoms
Doctors identify several main reasons that contribute to increased production and slow the elimination of uric acid salts from the body. These include:
- Unbalanced diet, junk food. The menu must include lean meat and fish, vegetables, fruits, and legumes. If possible, you should completely abandon alcohol, spicy, fried and fatty, from high-calorie dishes.
- Excessive physical exertion.
- Hypothermia or overheating of the joints.
- Genetics. This is a common cause of the disease; males are prone to hereditary disease.
- Excess weight. To eliminate the cause, the doctor can prescribe a strict diet, massage techniques, dosed physical activity. Only after partial weight loss can you start the main therapy.
- Alcohol abuse. Strong drinks significantly slow down the elimination of salts through the k >Gout
The main symptom of gout is severe joint pain. As a rule, the toe, foot, knee or ankle is first affected. Gradually, pathology also involves other joints.
The skin in the area of the swollen joint becomes red, glossy, very hot when felt. Attacks of pain may not last 2 days and reach several weeks. With a long attack, tofuses with uric acid salts form.
The goals of therapeutic massage and general recommendations for its implementation
Prevention and treatment of gout does not go without massage. This procedure significantly improves the quality of life of the patient, stops the progression of the disease. In addition to the usual, acupressure or acupressure can be organized. The main goals of therapeutic massage are:
- activation of blood flow in the damaged joint and adjacent tissues;
- restoration of lymphatic current of the upper and lower extremities;
- activation of excretion of acid salts;
- relief of pain in joints and muscles;
- stress relief, stiffness in movements;
- muscle relaxation, elimination of their spasm in the arms and legs, restoration of tone;
- acceleration of resorption of tofus;
- stimulation of metabolic processes;
- preparation for exercise, which is an integral part of effective treatment;
- prevention of bouts of pain;
- general recovery.
Massage helps restore the proper functioning of the blood vessels that are located next to the lesion. The procedure successfully resists the development of pain, but not at the acute stage.
Procedures reduce the power of future attacks. With proper organization, heaviness in the muscles is stopped, blood circulation in them is restored.
Massage can be local or general to strengthen the whole body, restore tone and the proper functioning of the immune system.
To return the normal amplitude of the motor activity of the joints, a simple rule of therapeutic massage is required: with gout of the hands, massaging begins from the back and neck, and with damage to the joints of the legs – from the back, pelvic area.
In order for this method to be useful, when implementing it, you need to follow the simple recommendations of doctors. These include the following rules:
- Massage should be done only by a professional who understands the human anatomy and the essence of the disease, is fluent in the techniques of therapeutic massage. Self-medication brings irreparable harm.
- Exacerbation of the disease is a direct contraindication. Also, massage is prohibited for tumors, diabetes.
- Massaging should not replace the entire treatment, it is effective only in combination.
Massage prohibited during exacerbation
Continuity, systematic procedures, the correct implementation of the technique – the key to positive results and improve the patient’s condition with gout. You can ask a specialist to give a lesson on basic manipulations in order to perform them at home.
Despite the high efficiency of the procedure for the diagnosis of gout, massage is only an auxiliary method. A sustainable result can only be achieved if combined with physiotherapeutic treatment, bathing, and proper use of medications prescribed by a doctor. An important factor is a diet without the inclusion of purines.
Therapeutic massage should always be discussed with a specialist. The procedure is carried out only by a professional masseur who owns information about human physiology and about the pathological processes associated with gout.
In the methodology of therapeutic massage, it is important to observe the following points:
- When carrying out manipulations on the affected area, it is required to apply grinding techniques and sweeping stroking. To begin the impact should be easy, gradually, without sudden movements and great effort.
- In the process of acting on the joint, it is important to monitor the accessibility of the massaged area.
- Massage is permissible only in between attacks.
- In addition to various massage techniques, active and passive movements of the limb can be used when performing it.
- Massage is effectively combined with physical therapy, therapeutic diet and water procedures.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Massaging the limbs
With gout on the joints of the hands, the manipulations are carried out in the following order:
- Rubbing the collar zone.
- Massage the point that connects the shoulder blade and humerus.
- Gentle workout for the top of each arm to the elbow.
- Massaging the elbow to the articulation of the brush.
- The wrist joint needs to be given more attention, it is massaged in a circular motion.
- Rubbing the space from the wrist to the tips of the fingers.
With gout of the joints of the legs, the manipulations will be as follows:
- Rubbing areas that are parallel to the spine.
- Warm up for the lower back – powerful and at the same time smooth movements.
- Gentle massage of the hip joints.
- Biceps muscle warm-up.
- Massage the distance from the knee to the foot.
- Intense rubbing movements of the left and right distal parts of each leg.
- Gentle massage of the knee joint.
- The same effect on the ankle joint and the back of the foot.
- Gently rubbing the Achilles tendon zone.
- The final step is to warm up the front and back of the ankle.
Massage sessions should be organized regularly, taking a break of no more than one day. The duration of each session is not less than half an hour. It should be 12 to 13 sessions per month to achieve sustainable results.
Foot massage significantly reduces the intensity of pain with gout in the foot. Such a separate massage is highly effective, because on the feet are biologically active points and nerve endings. Their stimulation helps to stop the symptoms of the disease. Sometimes only acupressure is performed. The advantage of the method is the resolution of independent execution. The technique is as follows:
- Spread the foot and ankle with massage oil or cream.
- With soft and at the same time fairly quick movements rub the space from the lower leg to the tips of the fingers.
- Tingling can be done to improve blood flow.
- With your thumbs, stretch the sole.
- Separately act on the arch of the foot, without affecting the site of inflammation.
- Grab your foot and make circular movements. Audible crunching is the norm.
- Stretch your fingers with strong rubbing from top to bottom.
- Separately act on the thumb, carry out rotational movements.
Self-massage of the foot
So, the massage technique for gout, which is performed by a professional masseur with a medical background, provided that it is combined with other methods of therapy, is a highly effective treatment for the disease. It smoothes and alleviates symptoms, improving the quality of life, since gout itself is incurable.
Is it possible to do massage with gout: indications and contraindications
Massage with gout helps not only prevent the development of possible complications, but also helps to accelerate the healing process. Massage techniques are widely used in the treatment of many articular pathologies, as they help relieve pain and eliminate swelling.
Proper massage for gout
Massage for gout is recommended using oils.
Massage with gout helps to remove uric acid from the body. Massage procedures are recommended to be performed by a professional masseur, but in the absence of such massage is allowed to carry out massage at home, observing a number of rules:
- Massage movements should be smooth, it is necessary to start the procedure gradually.
- The procedure time for gout should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Massage is recommended to combine with physical exercise, as well as other methods of treating gout.
- First of all, those joints that are least affected by a gouty disease are treated with a massage.
- Grinding movements that combine with sweeping should prevail.
- With gouty lesions of the hands, it is necessary to massage not only the limbs, but also the back and neck.
- The course of self-massage should start from 5 minutes, then gradually the time increases to 15-20 minutes.
- Massage with gout is recommended using special oils and ointments designed to treat joint diseases.
Before doing self-massage, you need to consult a specialist. There are a huge number of massage techniques, not every one of them is suitable for the treatment of gout. Therefore, only the doctor can choose the right technique and duration of the course, individually in each case.
Massage techniques are widely used not only for the treatment of gout, but also for other pathological processes in the joints.
Massage performs the following functions:
- helps to reduce pain, in the initial stages is able to completely stop the pain;
- relieves tension in the muscles, and also improves their tone;
- improves blood circulation in the affected joint;
- promotes resorption of exudate;
- allows you to improve the motor function of the affected limbs, as well as increase the amplitude of movements;
- reduces the likelihood of an exacerbation of the disease;
- accelerates the resorption of tofus;
- accelerates the process of excretion of uric acid from the body.
In addition to the fact that massage improves the condition of the joints, it contributes to the healing of the whole organism. Therefore, it helps in the treatment of other concomitant diseases.
In the acute stage of gout, massage is contraindicated
Massage procedures have a number of absolute and relative contraindications. Absolute contraindications include:
- acute stage of gout;
- the presence of malignant neoplasms;
- vascular thrombosis;
- acute and chronic bone marrow inflammation;
- tuberculosis in active form;
- mental disorders;
- the presence of infectious and fungal skin lesions in the area where massaging is expected;
- a malignant tumor that has been removed at the site of the proposed massage.
It is forbidden to massage places where any neoplasms are localized, including benign ones.
Places where the veins bulge or swell are forbidden to be massaged.
Temporary contraindications include the following:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- the state of alcohol intoxication;
- increased body temperature;
- bleeding of any type;
- abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting;
- pustular skin diseases of any localization;
- hypertensive crisis.
Massage at home
There are several massage techniques designed for home use.
In case of damage to the arms and hands, massage should also affect the neck and back
Preventive and therapeutic hand massage
In most cases, this massage is used to prevent acute attacks of gout, but it is also able to relieve pain.
With gouty lesions of the hands, massage should affect not only the area of the limbs, but also the area of the neck and back. Massage movements begin from the neck, then move to the back and only then massage the hands themselves. The movements should be smooth and rubbing, it is forbidden to make tingling and put strong pressure on the skin.
In the absence of side effects and the patient’s normal condition, it is recommended to massage 2-3 times a week.
Massage for gout on the legs
With gouty lesions of the lower extremities, massage should cover the following areas:
During the massage, each joint should be carefully worked out. The movements should be rubbing, stroking, kneading, vibration exposure can also be used. During the procedure, the person should be in a sitting or lying position. The session begins with a general massage, which helps to relax the muscles. Then the periarticular tissues are kneaded, the affected joint is not affected.
Massage for gout of the lower extremities is used to alleviate pain, relax tissue and reduce joint tension. The first procedures help relieve joint stiffness, improve motor function. Later, the procedures are aimed at developing muscle, reducing malnutrition.
The first sessions in duration should not exceed 15 minutes, then the time increases to 30-35 minutes. The course averages 14-16 procedures.
Anesthetic massage should affect not only the affected area, but also the periarticular tissues. Movements can be rubbing and warming up, while they must be neat.
Massage should be done by a specialist
Anesthetic massage will not be able to stop a pronounced pain syndrome, but it helps to reduce it. To achieve the best effect, it is recommended to use ointments and gels that have an analgesic effect. The drug is rubbed into the affected area in a circular motion. The duration of such a massage should not exceed 15 minutes.
Medical massage can only be performed by a qualified specialist. Such a service exists on the basis of some municipal hospitals; its cost on average varies from 400 to 800 rubles per session. Private clinics also offer this service, while the cost is practically the same.
A preliminary consultation with a rheumatologist is required, he will be able to give recommendations regarding the nature of the massage and its duration.
Massage for gout
Joints affected by gout are visually different from healthy ones. There is a swelling, redness. Movement is significantly limited. The severity of the system depends on the stage of inflammation and the degree of impaired functionality. Muscle tone increases. These are the first symptoms that characterize the acute period. At this stage, drug therapy is carried out. After this, in most cases, a period of remission begins, during which the patient is shown physiotherapeutic methods of treatment, massage, gymnastics.
The goal of therapeutic massage for gout
The goal is to improve blood circulation and lymph outflow in the tissues of affected joints, skin, muscles. Regular procedures increase the range of motion.
Manual stimulation allows you to:
- improve metabolism;
- reduce the number of relapses;
- reduce pain;
- accelerate the absorption of tofus;
- relax the muscles of the arms and legs, normalize their tone;
- prevent acute attacks;
- have a general strengthening effect on the body.
Massage for gout is considered a fairly effective auxiliary treatment
General massage recommendations
Massage for gout includes exposure not only to the tissues of the joints, but also to those around them. In case of damage to the joints of the hands, the back and neck are stimulated. If the legs are involved in the pathological process, then a back, pelvis, and entire limb massage is performed. And only after the general start to massage the affected area.
“Is it possible to massage with gout?” Is one of the most frequently asked questions.
There are a number of contraindications in which this procedure cannot be applied:
- benign and malignant neoplasms;
- blood diseases (hemophilia, leukemia, hemoblastosis);
- tissue necrosis;
- severe dermatoses;
- period of exacerbation of gout.
To get a therapeutic effect, you need to do massage systematically and daily for a long time.
Features of massage for gout
All general massage techniques are used. The procedure begins with rubbing and stroking.
They carefully study the muscles, the places of their attachment to the bone, tendon, ligament.
Rubbing is carried out using 4 fingers, separately with your thumb, palm, fist. This method of exposure is combined with kneading, which is performed below and above the lesion.
The duration of the procedure is 20-30 minutes, carried out every day or 2 times a day with lesions of the hands, and 2-3 times a day with lesions of the foot.
Joints should not hurt during manual exposure. In the presence of uncomfortable sensations, stop the session.
Massage technique involves the use of all techniques:
When manually affecting the affected area, the grinding technique should be used in combination with stroking movements. They should be light and gentle. During the session, it is recommended to combine massage with passive and active movements.
The procedure should only be performed by a specialist.
Massage techniques for gout
Upper Shoulder Massage
When massaging the upper shoulder girdle and back, the patient should take a horizontal position. The procedure begins with rubbing the lower segments of the neck at the level of the 7th cervical vertebra, then they switch to 1-2 thoracic vertebrae. Next, massage the shoulder joint and scapular region. The latissimus muscle is flexed and the massage therapist switches to massaging along the spine and rubbing the spinal segments.
To massage the shoulders, elbow joints, hands, the patient takes a sitting position or lies on his back.
In case of arthritis of the shoulder joints, manual stimulation of the shoulder girdle, deltoid muscle of the biceps and triceps of the shoulder is performed. After 2 sessions of this procedure, they proceed to massage the shoulder joint.
Gouty arthritis of the joints of the legs
Massage with gout of the foot is right to start from the back, namely the lumbar, pelvis and then move on to the legs. First, general stroking and squeezing, then the palms of both hands stretch the long back muscles and the widest. The stroking procedure ends.
The same complex is carried out on the pelvic area, sacrum. Be sure to massage the spinal segments. After that, they go to the hip joint, back of the thigh, calf muscles.
Massage is an important adjunct to complex treatment for gout, but does not replace it.
The knee is rubbed in all tricks on the side surfaces. At the end of the procedure, the knee joint is brought into passive movement.
Gouty arthritis of the ankle joint begins with massaging the lower leg. If the metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe is affected by the disease, then the foot is kneaded first, and only then they move to the lesion point.
Massage is not an independent treatment technique. This is an additional method. The result is a combination of massage, gymnastics, physiotherapy, and therapeutic baths. The massage procedure itself should be prescribed by the attending physician, and performed by a professional. The patient can visit the massage room at the hospital.
Therapeutic honey massage for gout involves rubbing honey into the joints. This stimulates the appearance of intraarticular lubricant, which removes salts. Before rubbing, the joint is heated with hot water or a heating pad. The massage procedure itself lasts 15 minutes, after which the desired joint is wrapped with polyethylene and left for 4 hours or overnight. A course of 10 procedures. After they take a break for about 3 weeks.
Gout refers to a number of chronic diseases and occurs due to metabolic disorders (purines). This leads to hyperuricemia, and further to the deposition of uric acid salts in tissues and organs. Mostly the kidneys and joints are affected. Therefore, the priority measures for the rehabilitation of patients is dieting.
Diet for gout during exacerbation and remission should exclude foods rich in purines.
- red meat and offal;
- smoked products;
- carbonated drinks;
- rhubarb, sorrel, spinach;
- dried fruits;
An abundant drinking regime must be observed. It is allowed to drink coffee and tea in moderation.
During remission, it is recommended to engage in physical therapy. It will improve metabolism, blood circulation. Exercises allow you to develop joints, increase range of motion, prevent the development of contractures and accelerate the removal of salts from tissues.
With gout, a combination of active and passive movements, respiratory gymnastics and general physical education, aimed at healing the whole body, is used.
In this disease, the prognosis is favorable provided that the diet is followed, general strengthening and special exercises, massage are performed.
Adverse factors for this disease are:
- early manifestation of the pathological process;
- the level of uric acid in the blood is more than 0,6 mmol / l;
- uric acid level in urine – more than 1100 mg / day;
- urate kidney stones in combination with a urinary infection;
- urate nephropathy;
- interstitial nephritis;
- hypertonic disease.
The sooner the disease is diagnosed and treated, the more favorable the prognosis for the patient.
Massage for gout relieves pain
The accumulation of uric acid crystals in the tissues of the joint leads to the development of severe arthritis, which requires long-term treatment. Massage for gout is one of the most effective methods of adjuvant therapy. Regular procedures will help reduce the severity of painful manifestations and improve the patient’s quality of life.
A competent massage requires knowledge of human anatomy and physiology
Gout is a severe chronic disease characterized by impaired protein metabolism and increased levels of uric acid in the blood. In the initial stage, the accumulation of mineral compounds in the body occurs. Subsequently, uric acid crystals are deposited in the soft tissues, which leads to the development of inflammation. Pathological formations are formed – gouty tofus and granulomas.
How to deal with gout
Modern methods of treatment help stop the development of the pathological process.
The main objectives of therapy:
- Elimination of acute inflammation and pain. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, glucocorticoids and colchicine are used.
- Relapse prevention. To obtain the best result, it is necessary to combine pharmaceuticals that lower the level of uric acid in the blood with additional treatment methods.
- Treatment of concomitant diseases.
Positive signs are normalization of the level of uric acid in the blood and a decrease in the frequency of exacerbations.
An important part of therapy is diet correction. With gout, diet No. 6 according to Pevzner is prescribed. Clinical nutrition helps to reduce the formation of uric acid salts in the body and normalize protein metabolism.
For more effective removal of uric acid compounds, it is recommended to increase the amount of fluid consumed (up to two liters per day). Useful dairy products, fresh vegetables and fruits.
- fat meat;
- legumes (peas, beans);
- fatty fish (salmon, mackerel);
- spicy seasonings and sauces;
- salted cheese;
- fish and meat broths.
When diet No. 6 shows fractional nutrition. Servings should be small (up to 300 ml). The recommended frequency of meals is 6 times a day.
The selection of treatment depends on the period of the disease. In the acute phase, procedures are prescribed that help reduce inflammation and eliminate pain. For this, high-frequency magnetotherapy, local ultraviolet irradiation, applications of dimexide, pulsed currents are used.
The goal of physiotherapy during the period of remission is to improve blood supply to the diseased limb, normalize metabolism, and prevent the breakdown of damaged cartilage tissue.
For this purpose, the following are involved:
- phonophoresis using hydrocortisone;
- decimeter wave electromagnetic waves to the adrenal gland;
- ultrasound on the affected joint.
Physiotherapy prevents the development of persistent deformation of the joints and preserves the function of the limb. The duration of the course is from 8 to 10 procedures.
Exercise is very helpful for gout. When prescribing exercise therapy, the stage of the disease (exacerbation, remission), the condition of the joints and the cardiovascular system are taken into account.
Positive effect of physiotherapy exercises:
- activation of metabolic processes;
- improvement of blood circulation;
- restoration of joint mobility;
- muscle strengthening;
- normalization of weight.
After the extinction of acute inflammatory phenomena, a massage is prescribed.
Exercise therapy includes a special complex for affected limbs (active and passive movements), general developmental and breathing exercises. In the interictal period, dumbbells, mechanotherapeutic apparatuses and simulators are used. Classes can be individual and group.
Stimulation of the affected area improves blood circulation to the tissues, which leads to the thinning of gouty cones (tofus). Positive dynamics are observed after the first session.
- stimulation of outflow of lymph;
- active excretion of uric acid salts;
- elimination of pain;
- muscle relaxation;
- normalization of metabolism;
- general recovery;
- preparation for physiotherapy exercises;
- reduction of edema and stiffness of movements.
Procedures are part of complex therapy. The first sessions are aimed at eliminating pain and restoring movement in the affected joint. In the remission stage, the specialist works on strengthening the muscles.
Massage cannot be considered as a substitute for medication.
Secrets of the procedure
The course begins with short sessions lasting 10-15 minutes. Gradually, the procedure time increases to half an hour. The optimal number of sessions to obtain a lasting effect is 15-16 per treatment course.
To remove muscle tension, the session begins with a general massage. Then they begin to act on the diseased joint.
- the use of gentle techniques;
- complete relaxation of tense muscles;
- initial study of more healthy elements of the joint, a gradual transition to the site of inflammation;
- combination of procedures with therapeutic exercises (active and passive movements in a sick limb).
Gout of hands – an indication for additional massage of the back and neck. With damage to the lower extremities, the specialist kneads the pelvic region and back.
Massage technique for arthritis of the hands
Gout affects the interdigital, wrist, and elbow joints.
- Rubbing the collar zone.
- Massage the area connecting the scapula with the humerus.
- Careful kneading of the shoulder and a smooth transition to the elbow joint.
- Massaging the forearm.
- Rubbing the wrist joint with soft circular motions.
- Go to the brush.
To improve blood circulation, a slight tingling of the developed area is performed.
Features of the procedure for lesions of the legs
Arthritis of the lower extremities is the most common manifestation of the disease. Interphalangeal joints are more often affected, less often – ankle and knee joints.
Massage sequence for gout of the toes:
- Rubbing the lumbar region.
- Transition to the hip joints.
- Kneading the thigh muscles.
- Rubbing the lower leg and distal leg.
- Gentle massage of the knee.
- Transition to the ankle and back of the foot.
- Study of the Achilles tendon area.
- Kneading ankles.
- Go to the foot.
- Rubbing the soles.
- Massage of the arch of the foot (without grabbing the affected area).
- Kneading fingers (strong rubbing is acceptable). The thumb is massaged separately.
In the foot area there are areas with a high content of nerve endings, so rubbing this area is very useful. Stimulation of biologically active points eliminates pain.
The video tells about the features of the use of massage for gouty arthritis.
In the treatment of the disease, acupressure is used – stimulation of biologically active points. The effect may be tonic, aphrodisiac or soothing. In the area of the lesion, an exciting effect is used, and in remote areas, a calming variant of stimulation is used.
Contra-indications for the procedure
In some diseases, the use of massage can lead to a deterioration of the patient’s condition and provoke the development of complications.
- exacerbation of gout;
- advanced dermatoses;
- tissue necrosis;
- oncological diseases.
Kneading of soft tissues during exacerbation of gout leads to an increase in pain and an increase in the duration of the attack.
Prophylaxis of gout
How to prevent a gout attack?
- follow a diet;
- follow the doctor’s recommendations for taking medications;
- to live an active lifestyle;
- lose weight.
It is recommended to regularly monitor the level of uric acid in the blood. This will help determine the degree of risk of exacerbation of gout and take timely action.
Answers to questions
Is it possible to do without the help of a professional, if you look at the Internet on acupressure lessons?
Self-medication is dangerous. An experienced massage therapist who perfectly mastered the technique of the procedure is needed.
Is it possible to do honey massage with gout?
Yes, this is a universal remedy.
Is it allowed to use the massager Ermakova with gout? Will the joints hurt?
The device can be used to massage the collar zone and soft tissues adjacent to the affected joint.
Massage with gout is an important part of the complex therapy of the disease, which enhances the effect of medications and stops the development of the pathological process. To achieve the best effect, a combination of massage with physiotherapeutic procedures and exercise therapy is recommended.
Important Gout Massage Information: Help, Not Harm
Back in the 19th century, scientists found a relationship between the occurrence of a disease such as gout and the amount of uric acid in the body. Uric acid is a by-product that forms during protein metabolism in the body. If the salts of this acid are not excreted, then they can accumulate in the joint tissues and act destructively on them. Gout can be affected by absolutely any joint, starting from the fingers on the hands and ending with the toes. Such a disease usually proceeds in a chronic form and mainly affects men over the age of 40. Changes that occur in the joint cause the patient severe pain, which sometimes can not even be removed with traditional painkillers. Is it possible to deal with this problem? If the changes are irreversible, then you will have to trust the surgeons and go to surgery, but if the situation is not critical or gout prophylaxis is needed, then this is an excellent assistant – massage. We will find out what effect of such procedures is and how to carry them out correctly.
The need for massage for gout
Gout is a serious disease that can affect not only the person’s motor apparatus, but also its internal organs – uric acid disrupts the metabolism and leads to the development of negative processes in the urinary and circulatory systems. Often, it all starts with the big toe, sometimes with the knee or ankle joint. Other articular elements are gradually involved in the process, which indicates the progression of the problem.
First of all, massage is necessary so that the joints are prepared for physical exercises, which are also an integral part of the treatment and prevention of gout. Physiotherapy exercises, as well as a massage session, should be carried out by a specialist and under his strict guidance, so that the patient would not aggravate the situation with careless and incorrect execution.
With gout, even self-massage is possible, but it is extremely important to consult a specialist
How massage treatments for gout help? This method is aimed at immediately satisfying several important goals:
- reduce the intensity of pain, remove the feeling of stiffness in the affected joint;
- achieve normalization of the possible range of motion that a particular joint can carry out;
- stimulation of resorption of exudate;
- relieving tension in the muscles, improving their tone;
- stimulation of blood circulation in the affected area.
In addition to all of the above, massage has a positive effect on the entire body and contributes to its healing, which can be of great importance in the dynamics of other diseases present in the patient at the moment.
General tasks and sequence of massage procedures
The main task of each massage procedure for gout is to promote the active elimination of uric acid from the body. In the process, any tricks can be used, including stroking, rubbing, vibrating and kneading.
Initially, a general massage is performed, which is designed to relax the patient, reduce muscle tension and reduce the accompanying severe pain. They begin to act on the joint only after the area around it is well developed. During the procedure, the specialist is guided by the following rules:
- the impact should be gentle and smooth;
- the articular elements that are least affected by the disease are the first to be worked out;
- Session time – no more than half an hour;
- the total duration of the massage course is up to 16 sessions, with a frequency of once a day or every other day;
- if gout affects the hands, then the effect is also on the back and neck, if the legs, then in addition to the lower extremities, the specialist works on the back and pelvic area;
- if the affected area is massaged directly, then rubbing influences should alternate, alternating with stroking of the girth type;
- when a site is massaged, a specialist should have free access to it;
- massage can be combined with active and passive movements of the patient.
After consulting a specialist, the patient can twice a day conduct small self-massage sessions (lasting about 5 minutes), consisting mainly of rubbing movements.
Important! If the disease is in a period of exacerbation, then no active manipulations, including massage, can be done! In the subacute period, the only thing that is allowed is light, stroking movements in order to slightly reduce pain.
If the lesion is localized in the lower extremities, then the procedure is carried out in the following order:
- lumbar region;
- Hip joint
- the entire back surface of the leg from the thigh to the feet is being worked out;
- the front surface of the leg (first the knee joint, then the ankle);
- heel area;
Of course, one massage is not able to cure or protect a person from gout, but with an integrated approach (in combination with taking medications, proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle and physiotherapy exercises), significant improvement and improvement in the quality of life can be achieved.
The main methods of treating gout massage
Massage for gout is considered a fairly effective auxiliary treatment. It is necessary to analyze in detail what goals can be achieved by performing the right therapeutic massage for the specified disease, the technique for its implementation and the main recommendations from specialists.
Features of the course of gout
Gout is a severe incurable endocrine disease associated with impaired protein metabolism and the deposition of uric acid salts in the joints, cartilages, ligaments and skin of a person.
Often the disease begins to develop on the joints of the upper and lower extremities, including the hands and feet. Excess uric acid promotes the development of an inflammatory process in the joints, leading to the destruction of its synovial membrane and all its tissues. For this reason, over time, deformation of the affected joint occurs, its complete immobility occurs. Progressing, the disease affects the musculoskeletal system of a person, disrupts the work of many important internal organs and systems.
Recently, the disease has become extremely widespread. This is due to the following reasons:
- impaired uric acid metabolism;
- unhealthy lifestyle (overeating, low physical activity, bad habits);
- failure in the immune system;
- various infectious diseases;
- genetic predisposition;
- hypothermia or overheating of the body, etc.
Usually, the impetus for the development of gout is a combination of several provoking factors. Often this disease is manifested by symptoms of gouty arthritis. These include:
- severe pain in the affected joint;
- severe swelling;
- muscle tension
- stiffness of movement;
- the formation of tofus, places of accumulation of uric acid salts;
Gout is characterized by the chronic nature of the course with periods of exacerbation and remission. The listed symptoms manifest themselves especially clearly in the period of exacerbation, which lasts from 2 days to several weeks.
An integrated approach is important in the treatment of pathology. With destructive lesions of the joints, surgery is indispensable. But in the early stages of the disease, a combination of medications with therapeutic exercises and massage gives an excellent result. Now it’s worth considering the role of massage in the treatment of gout.
The goals of therapeutic massage for gout and general recommendations for its implementation
In the prevention and treatment of gout, massage is a prerequisite for improving the quality of life of the patient. The goals of a correctly performed massage with the specified disease should be considered:
- increased blood supply to the affected joint and nearby tissues;
- improvement of lymph circulation in the limbs;
- promoting the active elimination of uric acid from the body;
- elimination of muscle and joint pain;
- elimination of tension and stiffness of movements;
- relaxation of the muscles of the arms and legs, improving their tone;
- acceleration of the process of resorption of tofus;
- stimulation of the metabolism of the whole organism;
- preparation for special physical exercises, which are another component of the competent treatment of the disease;
- prevention of new pain attacks;
- recovery of the whole organism.
In order for therapeutic massage with the indicated pathology to bring only benefit to the patient, it is necessary to take into account the important recommendations of doctors during its implementation. These include:
- The procedure should be performed only by a specialist who is well versed in human physiology and owns the methodology and technique of therapeutic massage.
- Self-medication can cause serious harm to the patient’s body.
- Contraindications of these manipulations are considered – a period of exacerbation of the disease, benign and malignant tumors, diabetes mellitus of any form.
- Massage is an important adjunct to complex treatment for gout, but does not replace it.
Only consistency, continuity and diligence in performing therapeutic massage are the necessary postulates that will allow to achieve tangible positive results in the treatment of a serious illness.
Massage technique for gout
The massage area for gout depends primarily on the location of the affected joint. If the inflammatory process is focused on the upper limb, then the following parts of the body should be the place of its production:
Particular attention in this procedure is paid to the study of the collar zone of the spine, gradually moving to the shoulder, forearm and the rest of the arm, including the fingers.
If the joints of the lower extremities are damaged, massaging is performed in the following order:
At the same time, each joint (hip, knee, ankle), the front and back parts of the legs, starting from the thigh to the foot, heel, ankle, and fingers, are carefully worked out.
There are quite a lot of massage techniques for this pathology, but each of them is based on such techniques:
- vibration exposure.
To relax and pre-mood begin the specified procedure for gout with a general massage. A person occupies a comfortable position – sitting or lying down. As the tissues warm up and relax, muscle tension is relieved, joint pain recedes.
Then, muscles near the affected area are included in the work, without affecting the diseased joint. Gentle stroking is performed, after which more persistent rubbing and kneading of the periarticular tissues. The procedure should not be painful.
After that, the massage therapist begins to work with the affected joint. His movements should be light, smooth, gentle, with a predominance of stroking and rubbing techniques.
The first massage sessions will help eliminate stiffness and pain of the affected joint and nearby tissues. Then, the work of a specialist will be aimed at reducing malnutrition, the development of muscle strength. The combination of massage techniques with passive and active movements will greatly increase the effectiveness of this treatment procedure.
The duration of the initial sessions is small, should be no more than 15 minutes. Gradually, the time of subsequent procedures increases and is brought up to 30 – 40 minutes. To obtain a tangible effect, at least 15 to 16 of these sessions should be performed.
Conclusion on the topic
Thus, a massage performed by a highly qualified specialist, in combination with other methods of treating gout, will significantly smooth out the patient’s symptoms of this incurable disease, which will improve his quality of life.