Osteochondrosis can be called a disease of modern man, five out of six people are familiar with this problem. It is caused by a disease of a sedentary lifestyle and is accompanied by painful sensations (dorsalgia). The pain can come not only from the local zone, but also spread to neighboring organs.
So, osteochondrosis can cause severe migraines, cause bouts of depression, heart disease, respiratory system and other problems. As a result of the disease, the spine loses mobility, the vertebrae are overgrown with growths, they begin to sag and pinch the nerve endings. In order not to bring the disease “to the point of no return”, you need to take care of your back and periodically do massage on different areas of the spine.
- Causes and symptoms of osteochondrosis
- Osteochondrosis of the cervical-collar zone
- Thoracic osteochondrosis
- Lumbosacral osteochondrosis
- Massage as a method of treatment and prevention of osteochondrosis
- When you can not do massage with osteochondrosis
- Therapeutic massage technique for osteochondrosis of the spine
- Massage technique for osteochondrosis of the cervical-collar zone
- Lumbar massage technique
- Massage technique for osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine
- Acupressure for cervical osteochondrosis
- Self-massage with osteochondrosis of the neck
- Duration of the procedure, how many sessions are recommended
Causes and symptoms of osteochondrosis
Dystrophic disease of the spine occurs due to insufficient blood supply to the elements of the motor segment. Involutional processes affect the entire musculoskeletal system.
What contributes to the development of osteochondrosis:
- Physical and statodynamic (prolonged stay in one position) load on the spine;
- Long stay in non-anatomical poses;
- Congenital predisposition;
- Weakness of paravertebral (paravertebral) muscles caused by poorly developed muscle corset.
Such diseases as intercostal neuralgia, lumbalgia, sacralgia and other pathologies can provoke osteochondrosis.
Thanks to all the above factors, the spine begins to age and lose its functions. This is manifested in the fact that:
- Fibro-cartilage masses lose elasticity;
- Arched joints are deformed and dry;
- The ability of all elements of the spine to absorb water decreases;
- The fibrous ring stretches, exfoliates, becomes soft and begins to protrude.
With osteochondrosis, metabolic processes slow down, this leads to chronic insufficiency of blood supply to the spinal cord.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical-collar zone
Changes in the cervical spine lead to the development of osteochondrosis. The following symptoms are characteristic of this disease:
- Sharp pains in the area of the occipital tubercle, sharp lumbago;
- Characteristic tilt of the head to the side or slightly back;
- Numbness of hands at night;
- Tension of the cervical muscles;
- Cooling in the shoulders (periarthritis).
It does not occur as often as cervical or lumbar osteochondrosis. Strongly disturbing pain does not occur, since the spinal column in the thoracic region is less mobile.
- Pain of low intensity in the chest;
- Acute pain radiating to the sternum and scapula.
The disease develops at the lumbar level and is a more common form of osteochondrosis.
- Lumbar backache;
- Stiffness and muscle tension;
- Pain in the buttock, leg.
Massage as a method of treatment and prevention of osteochondrosis
After diagnosing osteochondrosis, determining the type and severity of the course of the disease, treatment is prescribed. In severe stages, the surgical method is used, in the lungs, a conservative treatment.
To give a positive result and dynamics in the treatment can only complex therapy, including drug treatment, physiotherapy, hardware procedures, massage sessions.
What type of massage can be done in each case, is decided by an orthopedic surgeon or a neurologist.
With this disease, massage is used:
When you can not do massage with osteochondrosis
What are the prohibitions for massage procedures from cardiovascular diseases:
- Myocardium, rheumatism (active phases);
- Heart defects;
- Circulatory disorders;
- Angina pectoris;
- Blockage of blood vessels;
- Aortic enlargement;
- Increased blood pressure;
- Problems with cerebral circulation;
- Varicose veins;
- Damage to the peripheral arteries;
- Inflammation of the walls of blood vessels.
You can also not massage:
- With inflammatory processes in the spinal cord;
- With tumors;
- For disorders with the psyche;
- In the period of exacerbation of disease;
- With fungal infections of the skin and other inflammatory processes on the skin.
Therapeutic massage technique for osteochondrosis of the spine
Massage procedure can be carried out against the background of severe pain, during periods of “lull” when movements do not cause pain. At the time of exacerbations, acupressure gives a good effect.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Massage technique for osteochondrosis of the cervical-collar zone
Massage of this zone can be performed on a chair and lying on a couch.
Each session begins with the preparatory phase, this is a superficial stroking the first 3 to 4 minutes. In case of neck problems, movements are carried out from the shoulder blades towards the neck and further to the shoulders. The stroking sliding technique is subsequently replaced by kneading and shaking.
Basic principles of cervical collar massage:
- Each active movement should alternate with a relaxing stroking;
- Massage movements are made in the direction from the head down.
With osteochondrosis of the neck, a massage of the neck, shoulder blades and shoulder girdle is done from a lying or sitting position. The patient can sit with his elbows on the back of the chair and resting his head in his hands.
Types and sequence of massage movements during massage of the cervical spine:
- Stroking from the head along the surface of the neck down – 10 movements;
- Squeezes with fingers – 4 times (with acute attacks are not performed);
- Kneading movements with the edge of the palm;
- Squeezing movements;
- Stroking – 7 times.
Next, go to the shoulder area: stroking, survival for 2 minutes. Then the cervical spine is massaged. Each action is performed 6 times.
Lumbar massage technique
They begin to massage the lower back only after massaging the entire surface of the back, buttocks, and thighs.
The fingertips and palm produce stroking sl >
Massage technique for osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine
During osteochondrosis of the chest, massage is rarely prescribed. In the remission stage, it begins to be carried out on day 4. 2-3 first massages are carried out according to the gentle scheme, as hard stimulating actions can cause a pain syndrome. During the procedures, age is taken into account: in young people, the emphasis is on the muscles, in the elderly, the actions are aimed at the spinous processes.
With osteochondrosis of the thoracic region, the cervical-collar zone is massaged, since with the development of osteochondrosis of the chest, the occipital nerves are also affected. Often pain is given to the hands, so massage of the upper limbs is also performed.
Acupressure for cervical osteochondrosis
To mitigate the symptoms of osteochondrosis, acupressure can be used. Exposure to painful acupuncture points. Massage is performed with the thumb, index or middle fingers in a circular motion, using a technique such as exposure to the nail (prick, sticking).
Each point is massaged for about 2 minutes. The strength and intensity of the pressure are increasing and vice versa.
- Strong active influences lead to calm, such a massage is carried out up to 5 minutes;
- Medium-strength movements have a calming effect, the exposure time is about 2 minutes;
- Weak movements have a relaxing effect, 30 seconds are spent. This technique is used extremely rarely.
Self-massage with osteochondrosis of the neck
Self-massage helps to relieve fatigue, discomfort in the neck-collar area. With regular sessions, you can significantly improve well-being and relieve symptoms of inflammation. The procedure is performed, sitting or standing.
When sitting, it is necessary to lean against the back of the chair, elbows to rest on the armrests. When standing, you need to take a comfortable pose, so that the load is evenly distributed on both legs.
During self-massage, stroking, rubbing and kneading movements are performed.
- Stroking. Palms in the direction from the earlobes along the neck down to the clavicle produce slow stroking without pressure. The goal is to relieve stress. This movement is made with both hands immediately or alternately;
- Rubbing. They are produced in circular or zigzag movements from the occipital region to the scapular. You can imagine that the spine is a tree trunk, and you need to draw twigs. The most painful areas can be worked out with great pressure in circular motions;
- Kneading Muscle tissue has already warmed up, and you can knead your forearms by intense tweaks with simultaneous displacement of the skin. These movements are conveniently performed with the right hand on the left forearm and vice versa;
- Vibration or patting. Movement is made immediately with two hands with light pops on the surface of the shoulders. The purpose of the movement is to create a slight vibration of the muscles;
- Squeezes or squeezes. Reception is performed by the edge of the palm from the side of the thumb in the direction from the occipital region to the shoulder girdle.
The acupuncture technique can enhance the effect of self-massage, using special massagers (applicators, roller devices, vibration massagers).
Duration of the procedure, how many sessions are recommended
The first massage sessions with osteochondrosis are carried out in a gentle manner, the duration of 1-2 massage is up to 7 minutes, the duration of subsequent procedures increases to 15 minutes. In the stages of remission, it is recommended to carry out 8-10 sessions twice a year.
The maximum course of acupuncture massage is 12 treatments. This type of massage can be done every month.
The greatest result in the treatment of osteochondrosis of the back gives complex treatment. Along with massage, it is recommended to go to physiotherapy, in particular, electrophoresis and pulse therapy. Which procedures will be most effective depends on the stage of the disease and the symptoms present.