Absolutely no one is safe from accidental fall, shock or any other injury. Knee injury is one of the most common injuries that, in turn, can be treated at home. The knee joint is one of the largest in the human body. It serves as a kind of hinge that allows you to bend and unbend your leg. The joint includes the tibia, femur and patella.
It is very important to know what to do after the fall and how to provide first aid in order to relieve pain in the knee joint and eliminate other unpleasant symptoms. If measures, as such, have not been taken, this is fraught with dire consequences in the future. That is why you should not ignore even the slightest bruises, since they can serve as the beginning of the development of serious knee diseases.
Causes and types of injuries
In most cases, a knee joint injury is received at the time of falling, tripping, or, for example, walking on a slippery surface, while running. Accident can be the cause of knee damage. One way or another, the main cause of the injury is mechanical stress.
Injury can be complete or partial, with a fracture of the bone and dislocation or without them.
What changes occur with a bruised knee? A bruise is damage to the soft tissues of a specific area. When a knee joint is injured, both the skin and subcutaneous tissue, as well as muscles, cartilage, ligaments, and even blood vessels, can be injured.
With damage to the skin and fiber, the appearance of a wound surface is noted:
- muscle fibers – intense pain and spasm appear;
- ligaments – there is a violation of joint mobility;
- cartilage – damage to the bone and joint is noted;
- blood vessels – there is a violation of the knee joint.
All this provokes the appearance of pain, discomfort, difficulty moving the limb, and movement. If help was not provided on time, inflammation may develop. Bones and cartilage are often involved in the inflammatory process, and as a result, the development of arthritis.
Symptoms and diagnosis of bruised knee
Manifestations of injury can be very diverse. In most cases, the pathology is characterized by:
- Intense pain, especially when moving.
- Hemarthrosis of the knee joint – accumulation of blood in the joint. This symptom can be expressed to varying degrees, but the severity of other symptoms will depend on it.
- Swelling of the damaged area.
- Blue skin in the area of the bruise.
- Movement impairment.
The area of the damaged area, the location of the injury, the strength of the effect on the tissue – all this will affect the severity of symptoms.
A bruise is diagnosed on the basis of examination and palpation of the affected area. Next, a medical and diagnostic puncture is performed, due to which the presence or absence of a blood cavity is determined. In case of a knee injury, the following is prescribed:
First aid for knee injury
First of all, you need to know what to do and how to properly provide first aid and eliminate pain. The functioning of the knee joint will depend on how competently and timely emergency care has been rendered.
Following simple guidelines minimizes knee bruising and prevents complications.
- Limit the load on the damaged area.
- Apply cold – ice or any other cold object to the affected area. This helps prevent swelling and eliminate pain.
- If the pain is intense, does not subside, you need to take a tablet of an anesthetic drug, for example, Ibuprofen or Analgin.
- Next, you need to put a tight bandage. If there is no ordinary or medical bandage at hand, use a different material. It is important to fix the joint, but so that the muscles of the leg are not affected.
- Lay the patient, and put a pillow under the damaged knee joint. The leg should be above the torso.
Even “neglected” joint problems can be cured at home! Just remember to smear it once a day.
Trauma treatment: main directions
The main goals of treatment include eliminating pain and swelling, preventing the development of inflammation and restoring the functioning of the knee. For treatment, painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs and chondroprotectors are prescribed.
You can eliminate the pain with NSAIDs:
The restoration of the normal functioning of the knee with a bruise will be facilitated by the intake of Collagen Ultra and Farmatron.
It will also be useful in case of injury to use physiotherapeutic procedures, but only a week after receiving the injury.
An important part of the rehabilitation treatment of injury is the use of exercise therapy. But strengthening exercises can only be done with the knowledge and appointment of the attending physician.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Exercise therapy for bruised knee
You need to start the lesson with warming up and stretching. Moreover, all exercises must be done at a calm pace.
- Sit on the floor, stretch your arms to your knees, and then to your toes.
- Lie on your stomach, place a pillow under your sore leg. Perform limb springy movements.
- Sit on the edge of the chair, put the damaged limb on a healthy one, gradually pulling it back with effort.
- Lie down on the floor. Tie a load to the ankle of a damaged leg, bend a healthy leg at the knee. Slowly lift the load ten centimeters off the floor. Lock the position for five seconds, relax.
Do all exercises seven to ten times. After stretching, you can proceed to more complex exercises.
- ten minute walk;
- half squats – at least twenty times;
- strength exercises (dumbbell spin in the supine position);
- cycling – at least ten minutes.
As a supplement to the treatment, massage is prescribed, but not earlier than one and a half weeks after receiving the bruise.
Knee injury: home treatment with folk remedies
You can treat injury at home. Folk remedies are an addition to traditional treatment. Replacing one means with another or self-medicating is strictly prohibited, so you can harm yourself.
Medicinal plants made at home are potent and effective. They help eliminate pain, swelling, and inflammation. Using folk remedies, you can significantly accelerate recovery. For the treatment of knee injury, it is recommended to make compresses, prepare ointments and tinctures.
- Take one medium-sized leaf of cabbage, beat off a little so that it starts up the juice, and attach it to the diseased knee joint. Fix the compress with a bandage. After an hour, replace the sheet with fresh. It is recommended to treat a bruise in this way until the condition improves.
- Mix 20 g of dried, finely chopped wormwood with petroleum jelly in a small amount. Place the composition in a preheated oven for several hours. Ready slightly cooled ointment, treat the sore spot at least three times a day. The duration of treatment is 10 days.
- Mix equal proportions of honey with aloe pulp. Put the mass on a linen napkin and attach to the damaged joint for three hours. It is necessary to treat the knee with a compress until pain and swelling are eliminated.
- Combine the crushed burdock rhizome in equal amounts with violet grass and Veronica. Grind the components and pour 30 g of a mixture of 0.5 l of vodka. The composition should be infused overnight. Dampen a gauze napkin in the filtered tincture and apply to the bruise. Attach cellophane from above, fasten the bandage with a bandage. The course of treatment is a week and a half massage.
It is possible to treat a child’s bruise with medicinal herbs prepared at home only with the permission of the attending physician.
In order to prevent bruising, it is recommended:
- play sports, but do not strain your knees;
- wear comfortable shoes with good support for the arch of the foot;
- eat right and lead a healthy lifestyle;
- refuse to constantly wear heels.
In the event of a fall or shock, even a slight one, contact the hospital. Do not try to treat a bruise or eliminate pain yourself. Remember: treatment with medications advised by a neighbor or even a pharmacist can cause disastrous consequences. Competent and qualified assistance can be provided by a traumatologist.