If the patient was diagnosed with mild plantar foot fasciitis, home treatment is the best option. Heel spur therapy includes several methods:
- folk remedies for heel spurs;
- physiotherapy (gymnastic exercises, massage);
- wearing special orthopedic insoles;
- external drugs;
- heel injections;
- night orthoses;
- warming up.
To increase the effectiveness of therapy and accelerated recovery, it is worth combining several methods. Before starting home treatment, you must definitely consult a orthopedist or surgeon, as sometimes the use of certain drugs is contraindicated.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Many people prefer traditional methods of treating heel spurs, since they are cheaper and often in the early stages of the disease are not inferior in effectiveness to conservative medicine. It is important to understand that any home remedies for external therapy must be combined with physiotherapy, night orthoses, or other conservative methods that will ensure proper healing of damaged fascia.
Most often, treatment of spurs on the heel with folk remedies is carried out using:
- Potato compresses. For cooking, you need 2 raw tubers, they need to be washed and grated together with the peel. Soak the resulting juice with gauze, put potato gruel on top, apply a compress to the problematic foot, wrap it with cling film and put on warm socks. The procedure must be performed hourly 1-2 times a day.
- Honey-garlic applications with iodine. An effective folk remedy for heel spurs, at home it helps relieve pain, reduce growths and eliminate pulling discomfort when walking. Garlic enhances blood circulation at the site of application, accelerating tissue repair, iodine stimulates regeneration, and honey reduces inflammation. To prepare the product, you need to grate 3 peeled garlic heads, mix with 2 tablespoons of liquid honey and add 30 drops of iodine pharmacy solution (there are recipes that suggest adding a whole bottle, but this can lead to chemical burns). Apply the composition to a gauze dressing, make a compress under the film for 30-40 minutes.
- Medical bile. The treatment of heel spurs with folk medicine can be carried out using an inexpensive pharmacy drug – medical bile. The emulsion has long been used to eliminate a wide range of pathologies of the musculoskeletal system. With plantar fasciitis, you can make compresses for the film at night, the course is 10 procedures, after which you need to take a break.
It will not be possible to completely get rid of spurs on the heel with folk remedies of external therapy, it is necessary to use physiological procedures and other conservative methods in combination with them. Gymnastics is an essential element in the treatment of plantar fasciitis. Exercise is aimed at increasing the ability to stretch elastic tissue of the longitudinal arch of the foot, which will reduce the risk of tearing.
A set of gymnastic exercises should be selected by the attending physician, taking into account the anatomical features of the patient’s foot and the neglect of the problem. It is necessary to introduce such loads gradually and observe regularity; sharp execution of manipulations can only worsen the condition.
A few examples of exercises are described below, but gymnastics can be performed only after consulting a doctor who will make up the complex and show the technique:
- you need to take a tennis ball, slightly press down with your foot to the floor and roll it along the arch for 2-3 minutes, after which you can take a short break and continue;
- stand on a step or any elevation so that the heels hang from it, rest against the wall with your hands, slowly begin to lean towards it, until the fascia tension in the foot develops into a slight pain, when discomfort appears, you need to freeze in this position for 10-15 seconds and slowly take the starting position.
Treatment of heel spurs with folk methods can be supplemented with massage, for this procedure it is not necessary to visit a doctor, it is easy to perform at home. 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes, you need to stretch the problematic foot, for convenience, you can apply a little warming ointment or oil. All movements should be slow and accurate. Massage can improve blood circulation, remove excess salt and water, reduce discomfort and pain in plantar fasciitis.
Alternative treatment of heel spurs must be supplemented with traditional therapy methods, one of the mandatory elements are orthopedic insoles. With plantar fasciitis, the load on the foot is constantly distributed incorrectly, which is why tears in the elastic tissue occur. The attending orthopedic surgeon or surgeon should select the patient’s orthopedic insoles, which will raise the heel and cushion it with sudden movements.
Orthopedic insoles are made of synthetic materials (silicone or gel-like fillers, artificial skin substitutes) and natural (leather, cork fibers, felt). The latter are more expensive, but they provide good air exchange and better adapt to the natural bends of the foot. It is not worth buying this element of therapy on your own, since when choosing it is necessary to take into account the person’s weight, foot size and its anatomical features, as well as the stage of the disease.
You can remove spurs on the heels at home using a number of external therapies:
- Voltaren gel.
- Diclofenac Ointment.
- Ibuprofen ointment.
- Ketorol gel.
These ointments and gels have local anesthetic and anti-inflammatory effects, improve blood circulation in damaged tissues. They are used for 2-3 weeks, rubbing massage movements into the heel.
In addition to ointments and gels, doctors recommend using a medical patch (Bone Spur Plaster, Bang De Li, Parasoftin and others) – an effective and convenient home remedy for spurs on the heel, which allows you to relieve pain and inflammation. The drug, located on the inner surface, penetrates through the skin into the area of damaged tissues, while the patient does not need to wait, as in the case of ointment or gel, for the drug to dry out to continue activity.
The patch is glued for 24-72 hours, after the application a short break is made, then the procedure is repeated. The duration of the course of therapy depends on the stage of the disease and the severity of symptoms, so it is worthwhile to carry out it under the supervision of a doctor.
Treatment of heel spurs at home sometimes includes injections of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. In this way, you can temporarily block pain and reduce non-infectious inflammation. But at the same time, there are a number of complications that can be obtained by using injections:
- the development of the focus of infection at the injection site;
- necrosis of nearby tissues in violation of the procedure.
Medical injections are painkillers:
- procaine hydrochloride;
- Novocaine buffus;
- Novocaine Vial.
And glucocorticosteroid-based anti-inflammatory drugs:
The first are used during the acute phase of the disease, the area of the heel spur is chipped 1-2 times a day. Using glucocorticosteroids, a chronic or acute inflammatory process in the fascia is treated, such injections have a more pronounced and faster effect, since they contain hormones.
Restoration of the integrity of the fascia occurs with prolonged stay of the legs in a stationary position. For example, in a dream, any folk remedies for spur on the heel or medications can only stop the symptoms, but they do not affect the healing process. Night orthoses are an effective method of eliminating pathology, they provide the correct fusion of elastic tissue.
During sleep, the patient puts on an orthosis (brace) – a hard cover that fixes the foot at an angle of 90º with respect to the lower leg. Thus, the fascia grows together in an extended position, so it does not need to be torn during the day to provide motor activity.
Warming up with heel spur helps to relieve discomfort and pain, but use this method with caution, since with prolonged exposure to high temperature on the damaged fascia, inflammation can intensify.
Warming up is often carried out using applications from Dimexide or garlic gruel. For the first option, you need to dilute a tablespoon of the drug with warm water in a ratio of 1: 5, soak gauze with a solution, put it on the heel, cover with a film or wax paper, and put on a warm sock on top.
For a garlic compress, rub the peeled 2-3 heads of garlic, apply the gruel on the cheesecloth and repeat the steps described above. Keep the compounds on the skin for 20-30 minutes, and then rinse with cool water. Procedures are carried out daily for 2-3 weeks.
Treatment of heel spurs with folk remedies, pharmacy medicines, physiotherapy and other methods requires an integrated approach and prior consultation with a doctor. The purpose of therapy is not only to eliminate pain and inflammation, but also to ensure the correct restoration of the elastic tissue of the foot in order to avoid further ruptures of the fascia during movement.