The knee is one of the largest joints in the musculoskeletal system of a person. Due to daily physical activity, complex physiological structure, the joint is often exposed to various diseases and injuries. This leads to the appearance of pain, crunch, swelling, inflammation, and other unpleasant consequences that not only reduce the quality of life, become a cause of impaired mobility.
Exercises to strengthen the knee joints form the basis of the rehabilitation program of the patient who suffered an injury, as a result of which the mobility of his limbs was impaired. Special exercises to strengthen the knee joint will help fully restore motor functions, return a person to a previous life.
Before you consider in detail how to strengthen the knee joints and ligaments, we give the main causes and signs of such lesions.
- Causes of Knee Problems
- When to Kneel
- Training Effectiveness
- Exercise Tips
- Best exercises
- Recommendations of specialists
- A set of exercises for knee joints and muscles – we restore and strengthen
- What threatens a knee injury
- Exercises and Technique
- Morning exercises for the knees
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Medical complex for the restoration and strengthening of the knees
- 12 basic exercises to strengthen the knee joint (with photo)
- Knee joint development
- Hamstring tension
- Leg extension
- Lateral thigh lift
- S >
- Straight leg lift
- Raising legs lying prone
- Temple pose
- Partial squat
- Climbing stairs
- Stretching the calf muscles on the stairs
- Exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles of the knee joint
- The structure of the knee joint
- Knee Strengthening Exercises
- Muscle building exercises
- Hip Muscle Exercise
- Shin Muscle Exercise
- Muscle stretching exercises
- Strengthening the knee joints with exercises + wonderful gymnastics from knee pain
- Exercises to strengthen the knee joints and ligaments: tasks and rules
- Best Knee Joint Exercises
- Morning exercises for the knees
- Exercises to restore and strengthen your knees
- Exercise therapy for knee joints on video
- Knee Strengthening Exercises
- Knee Strengthening Exercises
- 1. Lift the knee up.
- 2. Heel lift
- 3. Leaving the legs to the s >
- 4. Extension of the knee in a sitting position.
- 5. In a standing position, bending the knee
- 6. In a standing position, bringing the leg back
- 7. Raising a straight leg from a prone position.
- 8. Shallow squats against the wall
Causes of Knee Problems
The most common reasons are:
- Excess weight, at which large physical activity is regularly applied to the joints, leading to rapid wear of cartilage tissue.
- Passive lifestyle.
- Poor diet. Joint elements do not receive a sufficient amount of necessary nutrients, and this leads to the development of a number of degenerative diseases, weakens cartilage, bone tissue.
- Strong load on the knees during training, which are athletes. Often the knee joints are injured, bruised, fractured, torn meniscus after falling.
- Metabolic disease.
- Severe hypothermia, as the cause of the onset of prolonged inflammation in the joints.
- Various hormonal disruptions.
- Bad habits.
- Individual genetic predisposition.
- Congenital structural defects, weakness of the ligamentous apparatus.
Even a minor injury after some time can easily impair mobility of the limb, leading to the progression of dangerous inflammatory diseases. It is impossible to ignore such lesions.
- the appearance of a crunch during movement;
- burning and severe pain when bending the limb, physical activity;
- increased body temperature;
- mobility impairment;
- swelling, redness of the knee joint;
- poor circulation, metabolism;
- violation of the integrity of bone tissue and cartilage;
- accumulation of fluid.
Which doctor should I contact for pain in the knee joint? If joint damage is suspected, a person is advised to immediately contact an experienced traumatologist. The patient may need to be examined and consulted by an orthopedist, rheumatologist, endocrinologist, and surgeon.
When to Kneel
Ways to strengthen the ligaments of the knee joint is determined by the root cause of the lesion. Often such problems arise with a weak ligamentous apparatus, when any injury or careless movement provokes serious damage and tears that will require long-term treatment.
Even “neglected” joint problems can be cured at home! Just remember to smear it once a day.
The most common consequences of weak ligaments, in which it is recommended to perform strengthening exercises:
Strengthening the knees is recommended in such cases:
- During the recovery period after removing the cast.
- With inflammatory and degenerative lesions (arthrosis, bursitis, arthritis).
- To recover from an injury, dislocation, or bruise.
- Long-term physical stress on the joint, accompanied by pain (flexion / extension, walking, squats, running and others).
- Lack of necessary tension on the knee joint.
- Rehabilitation after knee replacement.
To increase the effectiveness of these workouts, they can be supplemented with nutrition correction, lifestyle changes.
If all medical recommendations for performing knee exercises are observed, the following results can be achieved:
- improvement of blood circulation;
- normalization of metabolism;
- improved mobility;
- strengthening the ligaments of the legs;
- prevention of further injury;
- restoration of function of the affected joint;
- slowing down the destruction and restoration of cartilage.
Recommendations for the exercise:
- Exercises to strengthen the ligaments of the knee joint can begin to be performed only after the permission of the doctor. Engaging in uncontrolled physical activity is undesirable, especially if a person already suffers from joint diseases, or if the recovery period after the injury is not yet over.
- You can not perform strengthening exercises in the presence of severe pain, high body temperature, swelling or an active inflammatory process. Only after the doctor’s permission does such a gymnastics need to be performed by pregnant women and people with post-operative surgery.
- Only regular training will allow you to achieve noticeable improvements in the condition of the ligaments. Performing exercises is recommended daily for 15-20 minutes. This will be enough to achieve stable improvements after a month of classes.
- Exercises should be supplemented with restorative physical activity. Hiking and swimming are most preferred.
- All movements during training should be smooth, without sharp jerks and strain on the legs. If a crunch or soreness occurs, it is better to postpone the activity until the next day.
- You need to start training with pre-heating the muscles. This will improve blood circulation, protect against injury.
- To improve blood circulation, the knee joints are allowed to rewind with a special elastic bandage. With regular use, it will relieve spasm, reduce pain in the leg. It is especially effective to use in case of trauma.
- As auxiliary elements for performing exercises, a person may need a children’s ball of small diameter. It should be light, medium hard. You need to prepare a fitness mat to do at home in your free time.
All exercises to strengthen the ligaments of the knee joint are divided into two groups: training to develop the legs and exercises to strengthen the ligaments. To achieve maximum recovery effect, it is recommended to practice both sets of exercises.
How to strengthen the knee joint? The following set of exercises is recommended:
- Become level, raise your leg up. Bend it at the knee as much as possible. Slowly straighten the leg, pulling the sock towards you to tighten the calf muscles. Repeat the exercise at least ten times.
- From the same position, draw a circle in the air with one toe in one direction, then in the second. The main mobility should be localized in the knee, while the ankle does not need to be involved. Repeat the exercise five times in each direction. Exercise to perform the right and left foot.
- To stand near the bed, put your feet shoulder width apart. Lean on one leg, stand on toe. Bend and unbend the second leg in the air. Repeat ten times.
- Stand on a pillow and maintain balance for several minutes. This will enable the muscles of the legs and strengthen them. Gradually, the exercise should be complicated using two pillows.
- Lean on one leg, close your eyes with your palms. Keep your balance. Repeat with support on the other leg.
- Sit on the mat, put outstretched legs together. Pull socks towards / away from you.
- Sitting on the rug, place a ball under the knee. Press on it with a foot, bend / unbend the knee twenty times.
- Perform the exercise “bike” with two legs at once.
- Lie down and grab your bent knees with your hands. Pull them to the stomach.
- Bend your knees. Sit in a yoga pose, throw one foot on the other. Hands push on your knees.
- Take a skipping rope and perform jumps. First you need to do this slowly in order to learn how to jump well. Movement is allowed to accelerate. The main thing is to land on the legs bent at the knees.
During training, do not turn your feet so that your knees are turned out. This leads to stretching or rupture of the anterior or posterior cruciate ligaments that hold the knee joint.
Recommendations of specialists
To reduce the risk of developing problems with the knees, to improve their condition even in the presence of lesions of these joints, a person needs to adhere to the following recommendations of specialists:
- Exercise regularly, which will strengthen all the muscles of the body. For this, yoga will be the best choice, as it improves the condition of the ligaments and strengthens the muscles. Keeping fit will help with cycling and walking. It is better to refuse strong loads on joints.
- Enrich your menu with anti-inflammatory products: fish, olive oil, apples and avocados. Low-fat meat, liver, greens, vegetables and dairy products are required in the diet.
- Refuse to carry and lift weights.
- Eat enough vitamin E. It is found in peanuts, mangoes and spinach. In addition, it can be obtained from vitamin E capsules, which are sold in pharmacies.
- For the prevention of osteoporosis, it is advisable to introduce more foods with calcium into the diet. They are rich in cheese, yogurt, almonds and goat milk.
- Reduce the load on the knees. It is especially important not to move on your knees while being overweight.
- Avoid severe hypothermia.
- Timely treat those diseases that can give impetus to the development of knee pathologies.
- Wear comfortable orthopedic shoes that will relieve stress on the joints of the legs.
A set of exercises for knee joints and muscles – we restore and strengthen
Special exercises for the knees are part of the rehabilitation program after injuries, fractures, and arthritis to restore mobility and strength of muscles that provide flexion and extension of the legs in the knee. In this article we will not tell how to pump something up, because it is devoted specifically to rehabilitation issues.
What threatens a knee injury
Usually, athletes who damage the meniscus and ligaments come to a traumatologist with knee pain. The rest is referred to a specialist after complex fractures. Sometimes a fracture cannot be simply gypsum, especially in the knee. Plaster can permanently immobilize the leg.
To avoid this, surgeons correctly collect broken bone, insert special prostheses, pins, so that everything grows together correctly and quickly.
After removing the cast, the leg loses mobility. Especially after a knee fracture, it is not possible to move the leg – it hurts. Ligaments have lost elasticity, flexibility. And a person cannot bend his leg even 90 degrees. Here a set of therapeutic exercises comes to the rescue, which will strengthen the muscle apparatus and ligaments of the recovering leg.
Neglected restorative procedures, a knee injury can lead to complete immobility of the legs and, in severe cases, to a wheelchair. This is the rationale for the need for rehabilitation measures.
All exercises for the joints can be performed at home, laying a mat for fitness. Make sure there are no drafts in the room. Knees should not be subjected even to short-term hypothermia.
Exercises and Technique
As we said, you can do everything at home. We recommend that you purchase a regular children’s ball, as well as a fitball. If you have problems with finances, a baby ball with a diameter of 15–20 cm, which can be bought at any children’s store, will be enough. The ball should be light and have medium hardness (open the secret, you will use it during some exercises). This will be enough to restore the physical characteristics of the legs.
Rehabilitation is a multifaceted and complex process. Like the knee joint itself.
Some elements that make up the complex help strengthen all the muscles of the legs, while others develop the joint in isolation. We will divide the exercises into those that restore muscle tone, and those that increase the mobility of the joint itself. One cannot do one thing, because the movement is provided by the total qualities of the knee joint, ligaments and muscles of the leg.
Note that if you did not have injuries, but your knees started to crackle, or you feel pain in them, then you should pay special attention to warm-up before training or in the morning, after waking up. Let’s start with her.
Morning exercises for the knees
The following is a set of exercises to restore mobility of the knee joint after injuries and the prevention of age-related changes.
- As soon as you wake up, lift one leg slightly up, bend it at the knee so that it is not difficult to keep it in the air. Bend your leg to the smallest possible angle, and straighten it. Pull the toe so that the calf muscle is tensed. Do this exercise for each leg 10 times.
- Now, from the same position, try to draw a toe in a circle. Try to keep the circle correct. Watch your eyes closely for what your leg draws. In this case, mobility should be only in the knee. Do not touch the ankle. Pull the sock forward, as if in front of you an invisible sheet of paper, and you draw on it with your big toe. Draw 5 circles clockwise and 5 against. Repeat the same for the second leg.
So now you are ready to get up. We proceed to the next part.
We get up near the bed, feet shoulder width apart. We put the right foot on the toe, we transfer the center of gravity to the other leg. We tear off the sock from the floor so that it hangs freely in the air. We perform flexion and extension of the leg at the knee. We bend as much as possible, touching the heel of the buttocks or the back of the thigh. We bend to the usual state so as not to injure the patella. For each leg, repeat the exercise 10 times (back and forth movement is considered once). If standing up is difficult, you can sit on a chair or on the edge of the bed.
Next, lower your foot to the floor. Feet together, tilt the body and take both hands on the knees in front, resting on their palms. Now your task is to draw a circle with the knee joint using your hands. Draw 10 circles in one direction and 10 back.
And the third exercise – draw a circle with the toe on the floor. To do this, slightly raise the leg so that the sock (and it stretches down) hangs freely above the floor. Draw 5 circles clockwise and 5 against it. Do the same for the other leg.
The given complex is a measure of prevention of age-related restriction of knee mobility.
For example, salt (insoluble) may be deposited in the joint or there may not be enough joint fluid. Yes, and ligaments become denser over time, lose elasticity, as do tendons. Therefore, such a morning warm-up will allow you to keep your knees in good condition.
You can use the same exercises when restoring mobility.
We said that pumping up the leg muscles with such exercises in the usual sense is impossible. But for those who have been without movement for a long time, the word “pump up” is most suitable, along with the word “strengthen”. Now consider a set of exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments of the knee joint.
Medical complex for the restoration and strengthening of the knees
The complex contains exercises related to the rehabilitation program after arthrosis and knee injuries, and helps to strengthen them.
We stele the rug, lay back on it:
- We extend our arms upward over our heads, palms turned to the ceiling, socks stretch in the opposite direction. On inspiration, we pull the socks towards ourselves and begin to stretch each heel down (parallel to the floor). At this time, the pelvis moves slightly – this is normal. As you exhale, lower your socks down again. Do not hold your breath, just remember when to inhale and when to exhale.
- Hands lower down parallel to the body. Raise the right leg and stretch the toe up. On inhalation we pull it towards ourselves, on exhalation from ourselves. We do this 5 times for each leg, feeling a sprain in the knee.
- From the same position, we begin to make a “bicycle” – 10 rotational movements with each foot in turn.
- Then the “bicycle” is done immediately with two legs – 20 laps. Do not forget to pull the sock away from you.
- Now lower your legs, bend them at your knees 100 degrees (more than a right angle), spread your knees to the sides. Feet together. This exercise is called a butterfly. We raise our knees and bring them together – we do this 10 times.
- From the prone position, pull the knee with both hands to the stomach. Press it and stretch facing the knee. We do 5 stretching movements in this way.
- Then we wrap our arms around both knees and do the same.
- Bent legs to an acute angle, feet shoulder width apart. We place the right foot with our feet on the left knee and turn the knee of the right leg to the side and back. We do 5-10 stretching movements. Then do the same for the second leg.
- Now it’s more difficult: when one leg is on the other’s knee, use the last to lift both legs, touching the first knee of the chest.
- Feet shoulder width apart, lower the right knee inward (to the left side), touching the floor with it. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
- Now we need a ball (or a roller). We sit on a chair, put the ball under the foot. We roll it back and forth, left and right due to the movement of the knee joint. Each leg make 10 movements in all 4 directions.
- We sit on the floor, make a “butterfly” from a sitting position. Hands do not help, they are located between the legs and hold the feet.
The listed exercises for the knees can be done both alternately for each leg, and a bunch, driving 3-4 exercises for each leg in a row.
Finally, a number of recommendations:
- Exercises for arthrosis of the knee are the same.
- We noted that this is a rehabilitation complex. Naturally, not only the knees are involved in it, but also all the muscles of the legs. Therefore, in addition to the above exercises, there are also different options for mixing legs, “scissors”, etc. They don’t touch the knee joint, so we intentionally omitted them.
- Instead of the ball, you can use the roller and roll it not on the chair, but lying down.
- Joint exercises are optional. They are needed only if there are problems with the knees. When you feel that your knees begin to bring you trouble, it’s time to remember this complex.
The term “pump up” means a heavy load. Here, this is out of the question. You can pump up your legs when your knee problems go away – so try if you already have these problems.
12 basic exercises to strengthen the knee joint (with photo)
If you have had a knee injury or you suffer from arthrosis of the knee joint, you may be afraid to give the patient a bone joint load. And this is the biggest mistake a person with joint problems can make.
And after injuries, and with arthrosis, and with arthritis, and with other joint ailments, the knee must be given physical activity. Another thing is that this should be done correctly. Below are 12 safe exercises to strengthen both healthy and diseased knee joints.
Knee joint development
This is the simplest exercise that even people with severe joint damage should perform.
Sit on a chair. Feet are on the floor. Hands rest on your knees or lowered on the s >
- Stand up straight. You can stick to the wall or chair. However, it will be better if you perform the exercise without support. This will not only give a load on the tendon, but also improve the functioning of the vestibular apparatus.
- Slowly bend one leg at the knee, taking your foot back.
- Repeat 20 times for each leg.
If you have no serious knee problems, give them extra workload. To do this, do not lift your free leg, but use it to pull an elastic band or an expander.
- Stand facing the wall with your palms on it.
- Take your right leg back, and put your left leg forward and bend at the knee, transferring the entire body weight to it. In this case, the knee of the right leg should remain straight, and the feet of both legs – pressed to the floor.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Repeat for the second leg.
Lateral thigh lift
- Lie on the floor on your left s >
Straight leg lift
- Lie on your back. Hands are parallel to the body and tassels are pressed to the floor.
- Bend one leg at the knee, and lift the other up. The leg should remain straight and form a 90 degree angle with the body. Do not lift your lower back or arms.
- Repeat 10-12 times for each leg.
Raising legs lying prone
- Lie on your stomach.
- Lift one leg up without bending it at the knee, as high as possible.
- Hold the pose for 3-5 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times for each leg.
- Stand straight, spreading your legs 1.2-1.4 meters.
- Fold your arms in front of your chest.
- Bend your knees slowly. >
- Stand up straight.
- Slowly sit down so that an angle of 45 degrees is formed (knees should not extend beyond the toes).
- Lock the pose for a few seconds. In order not to fall, insure yourself behind with a chair.
- Repeat 10-15 once.
- Stand straight with a small bench in front of you.
- Lift your right leg on it, and then pull up your left.
- Return to the starting position and climb the bench, starting with the left foot.
- Repeat for each leg 20 times.
To increase the load, take dumbbells.
Stretching the calf muscles on the stairs
- Stand on the step of the ladder so that the heels have no support.
- Get on your toes.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat three sets of 10-15 times each.
To complicate the exercise, you can perform it on one leg. To simplify, do it not on a step, but simply on the floor.
Exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles of the knee joint
The health of the knee joints depends not only on the age of the person. A large role is played by lifestyle, genetic diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, arthrosis, coxarthrosis, gonarthrosis, etc. Many drugs have been developed that improve the condition of sick knees, but without physical exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles and ligaments of the knee joint, recovery will not come soon .
The structure of the knee joint
Lower limb health stands on several platforms:
- Bone. Strong bone tissue is the basis for a healthy active lifestyle. Her condition depends on the functioning of the hormonal system, as well as on the availability of vitamins for the body.
- Ligamentous apparatus. Ligaments are special anatomical structures that connect muscles and bones. They do not have their own blood vessels, so with a sprain or inflammation, the pathological process is delayed and leads to disruption of the surrounding soft tissues. Healthy ligaments preserve muscle tone and ensure the full functioning of the limb.
- Cartilage tissue. The cartilaginous surface should be perfectly smooth. It is washed by joint fluid and enriched with nutrients. Any inflammatory processes or fluid congestion lead to a violation of pressure and cause roughness, ulcers, cracks on the surface of the cartilage.
- Muscle is one of the main mechanisms for the delivery of nutrients to bone tissue, ligaments and cartilage. It feeds on blood vessels. The intercellular substance located in the muscle, through diffusion, supplies all other anatomical structures with the necessary elements. Regular physical activity improves blood circulation in the muscles and increases trophism of the knee joints.
Knee Strengthening Exercises
To strengthen your knees, you need to regularly perform certain exercises and gradually increase the load.
General exercises for strengthening the knee joint:
- Jogging. Improves blood circulation and prevents oxygen starvation of cells. If you’ve never run, start by walking slowly one kilometer a day for a week. The body will get used to increased physical activity. Then you should increase the duration of the walk or pace. Gradually switch to daily running at a speed convenient for you. You can choose any time for running.
- Exercises on the Orbitrek simulator. They have a general tonic effect on all muscle groups. Due to the gentle movement of the lower limb, the knee joint experiences a minimum of axial load. The healing effect is as high as possible.
- Exercise on the Bicycle simulator. Suitable for elderly people with chronic diseases of the cardiovascular system. When resting on the handlebars of a bicycle, a small circle of blood circulation is unloaded, therefore shortness of breath, heart pain and other symptoms of cardiovascular pathology will not be disturbed. Gradually increase the intensity of the exercise and the duration of the lesson.
- Skiing. In the winter season, when there is a lot of snow on the street and good frosty air, go skiing. Exercise accelerates blood in the lower limb with minimal axial load.
Muscle building exercises
To classify these types of exercises, it is best to use the anatomical one.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Hip Muscle Exercise
The quadriceps muscle or quadriceps is attached to the bones in the area of the knee joint, therefore their development is important for the health of the knee.
- Squats Legs shoulder width or wider, feet looking outward. While squatting, keep your back straight, knee joints should be directed to the sides to reduce the axial load on the menisci and ligaments located inside the joint. Do 5-6 deep squats, you can hold on to the handrail or chair. Exercise is not recommended for overweight people and for pathologies of cartilage.
- Mahi forward straight leg. Stand near the support: a chair, a table, a Swedish wall will do. The back is flat, the shoulder blades are together. Lift your straight leg up. Lifting height and intensity of repetitions depends on the fitness of the muscles. First, raise your leg no higher than 45 ° with a repetition rate of 25-30 per minute. Next, increase the lifting height and the number of swings.
- Flexion and extension of the leg in the knee joint. Sit in a comfortable chair or sofa. The knee should be located on the edge of the surface, and the shin should lower freely. After relaxing your back and abdominal muscles, raise the lower leg to the level of the knee joint to a characteristic pain sensation in the muscles of the anterior thigh.
- Flexion and extension of the knees, lying on the stomach. The exercise is similar to the previous one, only in this case it is necessary to move the place of application of force from the front to the rear surface of the thigh. To enhance the effect, lower your legs below body level, the back muscles will connect to the work.
Shin Muscle Exercise
- Walking on toes. 10-15 minutes of walking on toes on a flat surface prevents flat feet and tones the calf muscle.
- Flexion and extension of the foot in the ankle joint. Sitting on a flat surface, stretch your legs forward. Together or alternately bend and unbend the feet. Exercise develops the muscles of the back and front surface of the lower leg. The periosteum receives more nutrients, bone tissue is strengthened.
Do not limit your workouts to a couple of exercises to strengthen your knees. Gradually increase the load and improve the technique. If you can’t attend the gym, watch the video tutorials.
Alternate dynamic load with static to pump tendons.
Muscle stretching exercises
One muscle injection is not enough. Exercises for stretching the knee joint provide nutrient access to the tissues. Muscle elasticity is one of its main qualities.
- Fold Sitting on a flat surface and stretching your legs forward, try to grab your toes with your fingers. If possible, lie on your hips with your stomach. To complicate the exercise, with one hand in the calyx area, hold the knee near the floor, and with the other raise your foot above the floor. This training stretches the entire back surface of the legs.
- Stretching the front of the thigh. Standing near the support, hold the heel near the buttocks. For complexity, lean forward, while increasing the angle between the thigh of the supporting and working legs.
Knee muscles strengthen sports:
- water polo or swimming in the pool;
- trampoline jumping.
Before training, make sure there are no strict contraindications:
- Acute injury
- Severe chronic diseases, the course of which may worsen with intense physical exertion. .
Do not despair in the presence of pathology, every problem is solved. Physical therapy is provided for any joint disease.
Strengthening the knee joints with exercises + wonderful gymnastics from knee pain
The knee joint is one of the most complex and mobile in the human body. He is charged with heavy loads when walking, running, jumping, climbing stairs, static loads. Various injuries, inflammatory and degenerative-dystrophic processes of the knee joint lead to a deterioration in blood supply and nutrition of tissues, thinning of the cartilaginous layer of intraarticular bone surfaces, destruction of menisci, and disruption of the muscular-ligamentous apparatus. Changes in the integrity of ligaments and bones, arthritis and osteoarthritis provoke chronic progressive inflammation and impaired mobility of the knees. For therapy, medicines, physiotherapy, and exercises for the knee joints are used. The latter can be used both for prevention and for treatment at various stages of the disease. They help to significantly improve the function of the musculoskeletal system and the condition of the person as a whole.
Exercises to strengthen the knee joints and ligaments: tasks and rules
Therapeutic gymnastics for the knee joints is prescribed by a specialist taking into account factors such as the severity of the pathological process and its nature, the presence of concomitant diseases, the patient’s age. Full-fledged training can begin during the period of the acute phase of the disease calming down, when the pain syndrome decreases, the body temperature normalizes, and local inflammatory manifestations decrease. Gymnastics is aimed at solving the following problems:
- increased elasticity of the ligamentous apparatus of the knee joint;
- strengthening the muscles of the thigh and lower leg, which take part in the process of movement of the knee joint;
- normalization of blood circulation, which has a beneficial effect on metabolism, activates the synthesis of synovial fluid and helps to restore cartilage cells;
- Improving the general well-being and mood of the patient, which also has a good effect on recovery.
If you perform exercises to restore the knee joint every day, then over time, the function of the knee joints will be able to fully or partially recover depending on the degree of disturbance in the anatomical structures.
When performing gymnastics, the following should be considered:
- You need to train regularly. The course of treatment is 14-30 days. In the future, it is also recommended to perform exercises for prevention.
- Do gymnastics 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. The total duration of the lesson should be 30-45 minutes.
- The load on the knee joints should be increased gradually. At first, it is recommended to repeat the exercises 3-4 times, gradually increasing this amount to 10-15.
- At the beginning of the training, the amplitude of movement should be low, and towards the end it should increase.
- Perform exercises to strengthen the knee joint must be carefully, thoroughly working out all the muscles and ligaments.
- After completing physical education, relax, lying with your knees extended on a hard surface – this will help improve blood circulation in the joints being worked out.
- After gymnastics, you can take a contrast shower, massage the joint and the surrounding soft tissues.
Do not expect positive results instantly. In the presence of diseases, to achieve the effect, you will have to deal with long and hard.
Best Knee Joint Exercises
You can do it at home. It is recommended to have a fitball and an ordinary children’s ball for training. The ball should be light, with medium stiffness.
Some exercises in the gymnastics for the knee joints help strengthen all the muscles of the legs, while others only work out the joint in isolation. It is conditionally possible to divide them into two groups – those that restore muscle tone and those that increase the mobility of the joint itself. You cannot do just one thing, because the movements are provided precisely by the total characteristics of the joint, ligaments and muscles of the legs. Before performing the main complex, you need to warm up. It is especially important for those who have not had injuries, but who have experienced pain or a crunch in their knees.
Morning exercises for the knees
The exercises suggested below for developing a knee joint help restore its mobility after injuries and help prevent age-related changes.
- Immediately after waking up, lift one leg up a little, bend it at the knee so that it is not difficult for you to hold it. Bend the leg at a slight angle, then straighten it. Pull the sock towards yourself to tighten the calf muscle. For each leg, do this exercise 10 times. Then, from a similar position, draw a circle with the toe of the foot, and preferably so that it is correct. In this case, only the knee should move, let the ankle remain motionless. Pull the sock forward as if in front of you is a sheet of paper, and you risk your big toe on it. You need to draw five circles clockwise, and five – against. Now get up and start the next exercise.
- Stand bes >
Such exercises to strengthen the muscles of the knee joint help to prevent the restriction of knee mobility, which often becomes relevant with age. For example, salt may be deposited in the joint or lack of joint fluid. Ligaments and tendons become denser over time, lose their elasticity.
You can use this gymnastics when restoring limited mobility. Thanks to it, you can not build muscle, but you can strengthen it, especially for those who have been without movement for a long time. The next complex includes exercises to strengthen and restore the muscles and ligaments of the knee joint
Exercises to restore and strengthen your knees
The following exercises are designed to restore the ligaments of the knee joint, its strengthening. They are often included in a rehabilitation program after knee injuries and arthrosis.
Lay the rug on the floor and lay your back on it. Follow these steps:
- Pull your arms up behind your head, palms turned to the ceiling, pull the socks in the opposite direction. As you inhale, pull the socks toward you and begin to alternately stretch down with each heel parallel to the floor. At this time, the pelvis may move a little – this is normal. As you exhale, lower your socks down again. You do not need to hold your breath – just remember when to inhale, and when to exhale.
- Lower your arms down parallel to the body. Lift your right leg and stretch your toe up. Pull it toward you while breathing in, while exhaling from yourself. Do this five times for each leg to feel a sprain in the knee.
- From a similar position, do the exercise “bicycle”, performing each leg in turn 10 rotational movements.
- Now do the bike with two legs at once, 20 laps. In this case, the sock must be pulled away from you.
- Lower your legs, bend them at your knees about 100 degrees (slightly more than a right angle), spread your knees apart, keep your feet together. Spread your knees and bring them together. Repeat 10 times. This exercise is known as the butterfly.
- In the supine position, pull the knee to the stomach with both hands. Hold it and stretch facing the knee. Perform five such movements.
- Wrap your arms around your knees and repeat the same.
- Bend your legs at an acute angle, place your feet shoulder w >
These exercises can be performed for each leg in turn, and a bunch, doing 3-4 exercises in a row for each of the legs.
Finally, consider a number of important recommendations:
- With arthrosis of the knee, the above exercises are also shown.
- The complexes are rehabilitative, and they involve not only the knees, but also the muscles of the legs as a whole.
- In the absence of the ball, it can be replaced with a roller and rolls not in the chair, but in the supine position.
- As long as you have knee problems, do not set yourself the goal of pumping up your leg muscles. This implies a large load, and initially you need to improve the joints, and only then seriously engage in muscles.
- Perform exercises regularly and correctly – the only way you can achieve a positive result.
Proper therapeutic exercises for the knee joint for pain will help get rid of this and other problems, prevent a number of diseases, improve the condition of the body in general. We suggest watching a few videos with such exercises.
Exercise therapy for knee joints on video
Knee Strengthening Exercises
Strong knees are critical to daily activities. “Doing exercises to strengthen your knee helps reduce the progression of any arthritis,” said Ashley White, a physical therapist at Harvard-based Massachusetts General Hospital. Strengthening the thigh muscles also helps stabilize the knees.
Even a small amount of exercise every day will affect the health of your knee. Just a few repetitions will give the knee joint greater stability, increasing its ability to withstand loads. Perform several repetitions when watching TV or talking on the phone. Make it a habit to do several repetitions each time you wash your hands or brush your teeth.
Knee Strengthening Exercises
1. Lift the knee up.
How it helps: strengthens the quadriceps and abdominal cavity.
How to do it: Standing with the support of a rack or chair, slowly raise your right knee up, then lower your leg. Repeat eight to ten times with each foot.
2. Heel lift
How it helps: strengthens the muscles of the lower leg.
How to do it: Standing with the support of a rack or chair, stand on your toes, lifting your heels off the floor, then lower. Repeat eight to ten times.
3. Leaving the legs to the s >
How it helps: strengthens the muscles of the thigh and abdomen
How to do it: Standing with the support of a rack or chair, slowly raise your leg straight to the side 30 cm from the floor, then lower your leg. Repeat 8-10 times with each foot.
4. Extension of the knee in a sitting position.
How it helps: strengthens the quadriceps of the anterior thigh and abdominal muscles
How to do it: Sit directly on a chair with your hands on your feet and your feet on the floor. Raise your leg, then return to the starting position. Repeat eight to ten times with each foot.
5. In a standing position, bending the knee
How it helps: strengthens the hamstrings in the back of the thigh and abdominal muscles
How to do it: Standing with the support of a rack or chair, move your right foot so that your toes touch the floor. Slowly bend your leg back, pressing the heel to the buttock, then lower it. Repeat eight to ten times with each foot.
6. In a standing position, bringing the leg back
How it helps: strengthens the buttocks.
How to do it: Standing with the support of a rack or chair, tilt the body forward 45 degrees. Slowly move your foot back without bending your knee. Hold this position for a moment, then slowly lower your leg. Repeat 8-10 times with each foot.
7. Raising a straight leg from a prone position.
How it helps: strengthens the quadriceps of the thigh.
How to do it: Lie on your back, raise your leg 10-15 cm with a straightened knee with emphasis on the thigh muscles. Hold your foot for 10 seconds. Slowly lower, repeat until a light load appears in the thigh muscles. Then do the exercise with the other leg.
8. Shallow squats against the wall
How it helps: strengthens the quadriceps of the thigh.
How to do it: Stand with your back to the wall. Bend your knees and slowly lower yourself into a shallow squat. Hold this position for 20 seconds. Do a few repetitions. How else can you squat here