Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty “General Medicine”.
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
American scientists conducted experiments on mice and came to the conclusion that watermelon juice prevents the development of atherosclerosis of blood vessels. One group of mice drank plain water, and the second a watermelon juice. As a result, the vessels of the second group were free of cholesterol plaques.
Each person has not only unique fingerprints, but also language.
During sneezing, our body completely stops working. Even the heart stops.
According to many scientists, vitamin complexes are practically useless for humans.
An educated person is less prone to brain disease. Intellectual activity contributes to the formation of additional tissue to compensate for the diseased.
The highest body temperature was recorded at Willie Jones (USA), who was admitted to the hospital with a temperature of 46,5 ° C.
People who are used to having regular breakfast are much less likely to be obese.
In the UK there is a law according to which the surgeon can refuse to perform the operation on the patient if he smokes or is overweight. A person should abandon bad habits, and then, perhaps, he will not need surgical intervention.
According to studies, women who drink a few glasses of beer or wine a week have an increased risk of getting breast cancer.
Most women are able to get more pleasure from contemplating their beautiful body in the mirror than from sex. So, women, strive for harmony.
More than $ 500 million a year is spent on allergy medications alone in the United States. Do you still believe that a way to finally defeat allergies will be found?
Many drugs were initially marketed as drugs. Heroin, for example, was initially marketed as a cough medicine. And cocaine was recommended by doctors as anesthesia and as a means of increasing endurance.
Dentists have appeared relatively recently. Back in the 19th century, it was the duty of an ordinary hairdresser to pull out diseased teeth.
The cough medicine “Terpincode” is one of the leaders in sales, not at all because of its medicinal properties.
In order to say even the shortest and simplest words, we use 72 muscles.
Each of us heard stories about people who never brushed their teeth and had no problems with it. So, most likely, these people either did not know about the presence of themselves.
- Ankle edema
- Causes and additional symptoms
- Dislocation and other injuries
- Arthritis as a source of swelling
- Plantar fasciitis
- Gout development
- Deforming arthrosis
- How is bursitis manifested?
- How to provide first aid?
- What to do and how to treat?
- Treatment with folk remedies
- Treatment of ankle edema with drugs
- Ankle Edema: Causes and Features of Treatment
- Pathology features
- Why does the disease develop?
- Symptoms of pathology
- First aid for the victim
- How to get r >
- Folk remedies in the treatment of edema
- Swelling of the ankle
- Why swollen ankles
- The cause of foot edema in women
- One leg edema
- Swelling of the ankle joint after jogging
- What to do if you tuck the ankle
- The development of swelling of the foot without pain
- How to relieve ankle swelling after an injury
- Traditional methods of treatment
- Ankle swelling in the elderly
- Swollen foot after plaster removal
- How to treat ankle swelling and stop pain, causes and effective methods
- What are the causes of swelling and pain?
- How is the diagnosis?
- Ankle swelling and pain – how to treat?
- How can I treat at home?
- What you need to know about prevention?
- Ankle edema: how to remove, causes and treatment of a tumor
- Causes of edema
- Dislocation and fracture
- Principles of therapy
Redness and swelling of the ankle joint can occur with the development of various diseases. Often swells in the ankle area in the elderly, which is associated with age-related changes in the musculoskeletal structures. Damaged nerve fibers and blood vessels can cause swelling on the ankle, as a result of which normal nutrition and innervation are disturbed.
Causes and additional symptoms
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Dislocation and other injuries
Swelling of the legs near the bone can be associated with injuries of varying complexity. With a dislocation, swollen ankle joints are associated with a violation of the joint structure, while the capsule does not collapse. Redness and swelling near the ankles also appears after a fracture. In this case, in addition to puffiness, other signs are noted:
- soreness at rest and during physical exertion,
- deformation of the lower limb from the knee to the foot,
- the redness of the soft tissues in the lower leg,
- crunching with movements.
If the patient will be given first aid immediately after the injury, then swelling can be prevented or significantly reduced.
Arthritis as a source of swelling
Pain and swelling of the ankle are caused by the inflammatory process in the movable joints. A swollen ankle joint is associated with an infectious or autoimmune disorder. There are several types of arthritis presented in the table, each of which is manifested by different signs:
|Psoriatic||Swelling on the inside of the leg is a consequence of the progression of psoriasis|
|There is a pain symptom in the movable joint|
|Disturbed motor function of the legs below the knees|
|Rheumatoid||Extensive inflammatory reaction in tissues surrounding the ankle joint|
|The ankle is very red, sore and swollen|
|Septic||Inflammation manifests itself in the joint bag or membrane|
The causes of edema near the left or right ankle joint often lie in the progression of this pathology, which is characterized by inflammation of the plantar fascia. At risk are patients who lead an active lifestyle. Also, swelling with plantar fasciitis is often noted in women and people who pick up uncomfortable shoes. In violation, the patient also complains of severe pain localized in the heel.
The ankle joints become red and swollen due to impaired metabolism of purine compounds. With the disease, a pathological accumulation of uric acid is noted. The exacerbation of gout and swelling of the ankle lead to such factors:
- drinking alcohol
- visits to steam rooms and saunas,
- a large number of meat and fatty foods in the diet.
A swollen joint in the ankle region is sometimes explained by a similar chronic disease leading to limited mobility and disability. The disease can manifest itself after a serious injury to the lower extremities. In addition to redness and swelling, other manifestations of arthrosis are noted:
- pain in the ankle joint extending to the entire limb,
- impaired gait
- limited activity.
How is bursitis manifested?
If the ankle movable joint is swollen, then inflammation of the synovial bag may develop. A tumor of the foot joint is associated with a pathological accumulation of intraarticular fluid. In addition to edema, the patient is disturbed by the red leg and a severe attack of pain, which is difficult to remove with medication. Bursitis is manifested by additional signs:
- regional enlargement of lymph nodes,
- impaired mobility of the ankle joint,
- weakness and malaise.
If the area below the lower limb turns red and swollen, then this may be a stretching of the ligamentous apparatus. With such a violation, edema develops rapidly due to hemorrhage in the tissue. Additional symptoms bother the patient:
- deformation processes in the heel area,
- severe pain attacks
- inability to step on a sore foot.
How to provide first aid?
In the first hours after the injury, the cold compress, which is applied for several minutes, relieves redness and swelling in the ankle joint zone well.
The sooner first aid is provided, the greater the chance of a favorable outcome. When the leg is swollen, the following actions are performed:
- Immobilize a damaged leg.
- Apply cold for no more than half an hour.
- The limb is located above the level of the heart.
- Give the victim a pain reliever for severe pain.
- Deliver the patient to a medical facility.
If the left or right leg is swollen in the region of the ankle joint, then you should not postpone the visit to the doctor. With pathology, an examination by a traumatologist or orthopedist is necessary. Often, consultation of narrow-profile specialists such as a cardiologist, endocrinologist, rheumatologist, nephrologist is required. It is possible to determine the reasons due to which swelling of the ankle joint has occurred using the following examinations:
- laboratory tests of blood and urine,
- ultrasound diagnostics,
- CT and MRI
- electrocardiography, which determines the functionality of the heart,
- phlebography, through which the state of the venous plexuses of the lower extremities is assessed,
- rheovasography of the vessels of the legs.
What to do and how to treat?
If the swelling of the left or right ankle joint, it is necessary to establish the source of the violation. It is possible to remove unpleasant symptoms only after determining the root cause of the deviation. Effective elimination of external pathological symptoms is carried out through medications. It is possible to use special ointments purchased at a pharmacy or prepared from natural ingredients. If the left or right leg is swollen, it is possible to resort to the help of physiotherapy prescribed by a doctor.
Treatment with folk remedies
If the legs swell and pathological changes occur with the ankle joint, then alternative methods of treatment can be used. You can prepare ointment, broth, baths using natural substances. Popular recipes for eliminating edema:
- Flax-seed. At 4 tbsp. l product use 1 liter of boiling water. The medicine is allowed to stand for 60 minutes, then taken orally up to 8 times a day.
- Birch buds. The tool is prepared from 20 g of dried kidneys and 100 ml of alcohol. Insist 3 weeks. Take one teaspoon 30 minutes before eating.
- Burdock. A slurry is prepared from the leaves of the plant, which is applied to the swollen ankle joint. Wrap fleece on top or put on a woolen sock.
- Apple cider vinegar + honey. The components are used in equal amounts, which are bred in a glass of water. Use once a day in 3 sets. Treatment is carried out until edema comes down.
- Baths with medicinal herbs. St. John’s wort, linden, coltsfoot, birch buds are suitable for the procedure. The duration of the manipulation is from 15 to 30 minutes.
Treatment of ankle edema with drugs
If the ankle joint is sore and swollen, then you can use traditional methods of treatment using pharmacy medicines. In case of puffiness, the following drugs are indicated in the table:
If edema in the ankle is associated with an infectious disease, then antibacterial treatment is required.
To facilitate well-being, eliminate redness and swelling, the following physiotherapeutic procedures are necessary:
- electrophoresis with drugs
- the effect of diadynamic current,
- paraffin treatment,
- ultrasound therapy.
If the patient timely treats inflammatory diseases and resulting injuries, then the swelling in the ankle joint quickly passes. An important preventive measure is to wear high-quality and comfortable shoes. You need to move more, eat right and exercise daily for legs. It is also required to control weight so that the load on the ankle joints does not increase and they do not swell.
Ankle Edema: Causes and Features of Treatment
Ankle edema (the causes of the development of pathology will be described later) is a real problem for some people. It means that there is an inflammatory process in the soft tissues of the joint. Naturally, this pathological condition is accompanied by pain, deterioration of mobility.
If a person has an ankle swelling, the reasons should be clarified first. Only in this case the treatment will be effective. The disease is characterized by the accumulation of a large amount of fluid in the specified articulation. However, if it does not appear due to injury, then the person usually has no pain.
Basically, ankle edema (its causes may be completely different) does not represent a danger to the health and life of the patient and is more common in the elderly. However, there are cases when consulting a doctor is mandatory. Sometimes the patient may not suspect what caused such a pathological condition.
Why does the disease develop?
If your ankles swell, the reasons may be:
- Injuries: Sprains, sprains or tears of ligaments, bone displacement, bruises, wounds or fractures.
- Varicose blood vessels. In this case, the tone of the venous walls is lost, the pressure in them becomes greater, the blood circulation is disturbed.
- Arthritis. This is an inflammatory pathology of the joints, characterized by swelling and pain.
- Arthrosis This chronic pathology is accompanied by dystrophy of the joint tissue.
- Gout. This disease is very common among men. Its feature is that edema of the ankle joint (the reasons for its development represent a more serious danger to human health) appears due to the inflammatory process caused by the deposition of uric acid salts in the joints.
- Bursitis. Here the disease arises due to excessive production of synovial fluid, which accumulates in the ankle.
- Heart disease.
- Bacterial or viral soft tissue infection.
- Excessive body weight.
- Long standing in a standing position or too much stress on the joint.
- Acceptance of some hormonal drugs.
- Blocking the function of the lymphatic system.
- Cirrhosis of the liver.
The cause of the edema and pain in the ankle should be determined as accurately as possible. Otherwise, therapy may not have the desired effect.
Symptoms of pathology
So, the symptoms of the disease depend on the underlying cause. However, we can distinguish the following main signs of pathology:
- Pain in the affected area.
- Redness of the soft tissues surrounding the joint.
- The feeling of pulsation.
- Increased temperature in the affected joint.
- Sensation of the presence and fluctuation of fluid in the ankle.
First aid for the victim
If the causes of ankle edema (erythema) are injured or too heavy a load, then a doctor should be urgently called. Prior to his arrival, the victim can be given first aid.
First of all, the injured limb should be immobilized, and a cold compress should be put on the ankle. To eliminate pain, you can use the pain medication “Voltaren”.
In addition to edema, the patient may have other symptoms in which an urgent need to consult a doctor. This should be done if:
Puffiness is enhanced by poor functioning of the k >
During the visit to the doctor, it is necessary to tell him when the edema appeared, at what time of the day it gets worse, if other symptoms are present. In addition, the patient is prescribed a whole range of instrumental studies:
- MRI or CT scan.
- Ultrasound of the damaged articulation.
In addition, the patient undergoes laboratory tests of urine and blood. Consultation with an endocrinologist, a cardiologist or other specialists may be necessary.
How to get r >
Treatment of ankle edema and the reasons for its development should be determined by a specialist. Self-diagnosis can only aggravate the patient’s condition.
Drug treatment involves the use of such funds:
- Diuretic drugs: “Ketazone”, “Benemid”. They help reduce the amount of fluid in the body.
- Non-hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs: “Ibuprofen”. They are prescribed if the swelling is provoked by arthritis, arthrosis or other pathology that causes inflammation. In addition, a person is recommended to observe bed rest.
- Chondroprotectors: “Ortroflex”, “Teraflex”.
- Local anesthetics.
- Intra-articular injections of hormonal drugs that can quickly eliminate pain: “Hydrocortisone”. They can be used only 1-2 times a year.
- Medicines to improve blood circulation in the affected joint.
In case of inflammatory diseases, removal of purulent contents from the joint may be necessary, as well as the use of antibiotics. Also, the patient is prescribed a therapeutic massage, exercise therapy. However, all exercises and techniques should be done very carefully so as not to harm even more. In particularly difficult cases, the patient is shown surgical intervention.
An important part of therapy is diet, because the patient needs to establish metabolic processes in the body.
Folk remedies in the treatment of edema
If the patient has edema of the ankle joint, the causes (treatment with folk remedies also gives a good effect) must be eliminated. If you remove only the symptoms, then soon they will return with a vengeance.
Such recipes will be useful:
- Broth with flax seeds. It takes 4 large spoons to steam up with a liter of boiling water, infuse for about 60 minutes (preferably in a dark place) and strain. It is necessary to take medicine on 150 ml to 8 once a day.
- Tincture of birch buds. You will need 20 g of dried raw materials and 100 ml of alcohol. The mixture should be infused 3 week. Apply the tool so: 1 teaspoon for 30 minutes before eating. This medicine allows you to speed up metabolic processes in the body.
- Compress of burdock leaves. The plant must be thoroughly crushed and mixed to a viscous liqu >
If a person periodically has ankle swelling, causes, treatment of pathology – this is the information that must be studied in order to be able to fight the disease. Naturally, you also need to know the rules of disease prevention. It is important to follow these recommendations of specialists:
- After a long walk the foot should be allowed to rest. You need to lie down, and put the ankle on the pillow so that it is at the level above the heart.
- Give up a sedentary lifestyle. It is advisable to perform daily simple exercises that strengthen the muscles and ligaments.
- Reduce the amount of salt consumed, which only retains excess fluid in the body.
- It is required to constantly maintain a normal body weight.
- Choose such underwear and clothing that will fix well the ankle and hip. However, nothing should squeeze the limb.
That’s all the information about this pathology, as ankle swelling. The reasons for the treatment are now known to you. Be healthy!
Swelling of the ankle
One of the clear symptoms of having an ankle problem is the formation of swelling. Why does the leg swell in the ankle? Is it possible to do without the help of doctors? How to quickly remove swelling from the ankle? You will read about this and much more in our article.
Why swollen ankles
Swelling of the ankle joint is not a separate disease. This is just a symptom that indicates the presence of problems in the indicated location. At the same time, there are a sufficiently large number of both direct causes of the development of swelling of the ankle and secondary provoking factors, which together can contribute to the formation and development of the corresponding pathological symptom.
In addition to injuries, a variety of chronic pathologies of the musculoskeletal system in relation to the lower extremities and joints can create prerequisites for the development of severe ankle edema. The most famous causes of ankle edema:
- Arthritis. It is an inflammatory process in the ankle joint. May be septic, infectious, rheumatoid and psoriatic;
- Arthrosis A fairly common disease with a change in the cartilage structures in the joint. It can affect both soft tissues and bones, acting as a classic degenerative and inflammatory systemic process;
- Gout. In the general case, the disease is caused by a complex violation of the metabolic processes of purine compounds and excess normal accumulation of uric acid in the body. Typical localization of lesions are joints;
- Bursitis. With bursitis, purulent exudate accumulates in the articular cavities and provokes both pain and swelling;
- Fasciitis. Most often, pathology is manifested in the sole area with the transition of puffiness to the upper part of the foot.
In addition to the above reasons, an ankle tumor also develops due to wearing improper shoes, congenital abnormalities of the musculoskeletal system, being overweight, taking alcohol regularly and leading an improper lifestyle.
The cause of foot edema in women
As mentioned above, the most typical causes of swelling are various injuries of the ankle, as well as a number of chronic pathologies, syndromes and negative conditions of the musculoskeletal system, both congenital and acquired. In addition, certain provocative circumstances make a certain contribution.
Hormonal imbalance, a slowdown in metabolic processes and other physiological changes as part of the aging of the body provoke the accumulation of fat deposits, which increases the total body weight and creates an additional load on the ankle.
As well as being negatively affected, especially in relation to ligaments, tendons and cartilage structures, losing their flexibility, elasticity and ability to regenerate. In young women, the reasons for swelling of the legs in the ankle are associated with the period of pregnancy due to a slowdown in the process of removing excess fluid from the body.
One leg edema
The leg in the ankle swells overwhelmingly due to a foot injury on one of the lower extremities. Moreover, in some cases, a person may not even suspect the presence of damage, for example, if he slightly twisted his leg.
In the absence of qualified medical care, comprehensive diagnostics, and other necessary measures, along with the lack of access to a traumatologist, prerequisites are created for the development of degenerative-dystrophic processes in the medium term. A person begins to regularly feel discomfort in the ankle joint, damages him even after too little physical exertion on the appropriate location.
Swelling of the ankle joint after jogging
The development of swelling of the ankle joint after active physical exertion on it can indicate the following circumstances:
- Too much strain on the lower limbs. A long run for an unprepared person, or an athlete who does not comply with the technique of carrying out activities, as well as excessive overloading himself, can contribute to excessive effects on the ankle joint. For this reason, after running, the ankles and feet swell and hurt;
- Increased body weight. For people who are prone to obesity, having increased body weight, any excess normal physical activity, in particular running, are sufficient conditions for microtrauma of the ankle joints with the corresponding development of characteristic pathological symptoms;
- Congenital or acquired diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Swelling during exercise can indicate the development of arthrosis, arthritis, the presence of flat feet and other circumstances of this kind.
What to do if you tuck the ankle
In the general case, if a person tucked his foot in the ankle, he was swollen and turned blue, it was necessary to provide first aid, then consult a traumatologist who will conduct an initial examination and direct the person to a comprehensive diagnosis to clarify the severity and nature of the damage, as well as develop appropriate therapy . What should be done if a person has swollen ankle after a fall or other injury:
- Restriction of physical activity. The injured person should rest as little as possible on the leg with a damaged ankle. If possible, lower limb should be immobilized using tires, elastic bandages or other devices that are available;
- Cold and anesthesia. Cold should be regularly applied to the swollen joint of the ankle, for example, ice through several layers of matter.
The development of swelling of the foot without pain
As modern clinical practice shows, the absence of a pain syndrome due to the development of swelling usually does not indicate an acute ankle injury. In this case, we can talk about the formation of prerequisites for chronic pathologies – acquired in the medium term or congenital at the end of remission.
In addition, ankle edema without pain can indicate an improvement in metabolic processes in the body associated with the removal of fluid from it. In addition, this symptomatology is formed with the regular wearing of uncomfortable shoes, as well as the presence of flat feet or too high feet.
How to relieve ankle swelling after an injury
Swelling after injury is eliminated through complex conservative therapy and physiotherapy as part of the main treatment. It should be understood that the above symptom is only one of the signs of the presence of pathology in the localization, therefore, it is not eliminated separately.
After the end of the acute period of trauma, the patient is prescribed a set of exercise therapy procedures, passive massage, as well as instrumental physiotherapy procedures that facilitate resorption of hematomas, relieve swelling and regeneration of all ankle structures.
Traditional methods of treatment
Traditional medicine offers a wide variety of recipes for the treatment of ankle swelling, which potentially help reduce the level of swelling in the victim. Modern doctors consider such methods only in the context of a potential supplement to the main prescribed therapy and only after prior consultation with a specialist.
Using any of the methods below on your own, including replacing them with the main therapy, is fraught with the development of a wide range of complications, especially if the edema as a symptom is associated with a previous injury, as well as chronic or generative processes in certain parts of the ankle joint.
Most often, various compresses are applied to the ankle joint, both dry and classic, based on various decoctions and tinctures. The most typical folk remedies for leg swelling in the ankle:
- Warming up with salt. One glass of ordinary table salt is heated in a pan, after which it is placed in several layers of material and applied to the problem localization until it cools. The procedure can be repeated 4 times a day for several weeks. Moreover, the method is prohibited to use it in the first days after injury and in the presence of any signs of an active inflammatory process;
- Healthy foods. If swelling is not associated with injury, but is a consequence of poor fluid removal from the body, then traditional doctors recommend consuming a sufficient amount of products that actively remove water from the human body. The most effective in this context are cucumbers, grapes, various juices, watermelon, parsley and pumpkin;
- Onions and honey. Traditional healers say that a combination of onions and honey will help to quickly eliminate edema. To prepare the product, you will need several large onion heads, as well as about 5 tablespoons of high-quality honey. The components are thoroughly mixed, after which it is applied in the form of a compress to the problem localization and removed after 2 hours. The procedure is repeated twice a day for 1 week.
Ankle swelling in the elderly
In the vast majority of cases, ankle edema in the elderly without visible signs of injury is a consequence of the natural physiological aging of the body. After 50 years, most people have significantly slowed down metabolic processes, bone fragility appears, elasticity, flexibility, and the ability to regenerate ligaments, tendons and cartilage are lost.
Another significant negative factor is the development of chronic diseases of the musculoskeletal system, as well as background secondary reactions, as a result of problems with the liver, kidneys, pancreas and thyroid gland, etc.
Swollen foot after plaster removal
A sufficiently large number of patients who are removed from plaster after receiving injuries and providing primary care as part of the implementation of stage 2 of the rehabilitation period complain of the development of swelling in the area of ankle damage. The reasons for the development of such symptoms are obvious – with rigid fixation and compression of soft structures, swelling simply does not form.
After removal of the support system and increased physical exertion on it in conditions of insufficient recovery of peripheral blood flow and the corresponding outflow of fluid, puffiness forms regularly even after minor physical exertion.
Victor Sistemov – expert at 1Travmpunkt
How to treat ankle swelling and stop pain, causes and effective methods
The ankle is a complex in structure, mobile connection of the tibia, fibula and talus. It is located on the bend of the lower limb, connecting the lower leg and foot. Thanks to the joint, it is possible to bend and unbend the foot, to carry out its abduction and reduction.
The joint can withstand significant daily loads, but it is rather vulnerable – a person unsuccessfully tucks his leg (which is easy to do, for example, while jogging or when jumping even from a small height) and instantly gets a dislocation or fracture. Injuries are the most common joint pathology. Pain and swelling in the ankle joint without injury can be for other reasons – as a result of various diseases.
What are the causes of swelling and pain?
- In addition to fractures and dislocations of the ankle, which are often accompanied by an ankle fracture, swelling and pain in the joint can cause other injuries:
- sprain or rupture of the ligaments (medial from the inner s >Types of Ligament Damage
Edema in fractures with a change in bone structure is called trabecular. Such edema can also occur with arthritis and osteoporosis.
- With injuries, ankle edema and pain, as a rule, are observed on one leg. The likelihood of the same injury to both limbs is extremely small, if we are not talking about a targeted external effect on the joints.
- A tumor and pain in the joint area can occur when muscle damage occurs as a result of trauma.
- Swollen ankle with varicose veins. With this pathology, the veins expand, wriggle, and their valve apparatuses are destroyed.
At the initial stage of the disease, stars from the vessels and nodes form, heaviness in the legs is felt, a slight swelling is visible, pain is felt when touching the veins.
With the development of varicose veins, edema of the feet and lower leg begins, cramps the calf muscles, trophic ulcers are formed, etc.
- Ankle swelling and pain can occur in arthrosis, a chronic disease that first affects the cartilage, and then all other structures of the joint (capsule, ligaments, synovial membrane).
- A symptom of swelling of the ankle with reddening of the skin above it and pain is observed with diabetic osteoarthropathy. In this case, bone and joint tissues are destroyed, deformation of the foot occurs, and joint mobility worsens.
- Another reason is ankle arthritis. This is an inflammatory disease that has a chronic or acute course. With arthritis, all elements of the joint are affected.
- In rare cases, synovitis (inflammation inside the joint with accumulation of fluid) leads to pain and swelling.
How is the diagnosis?
The diagnosis is made on the basis of a survey and examination of the patient, followed by instrumental examination. If necessary, the diagnosis is supplemented by blood tests, urine tests. However, in each case, there are distinctive features in the diagnosis.
- Injury is an occasion to contact a traumatologist. To clarify the preliminary diagnosis made by the doctor, the following instrumental methods are used:
- ultrasound examination (ultrasound);
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI);
- computed tomography (CT);
The main method is radiography. Under it you need to understand the photographing of the joint using x-rays. This is a proven and informative way to identify various internal pathologies.
Ultrasound, as the name implies, is based on the use of ultrasonic waves. The method is safe, allows you to study the soft tissues of the joint.
MRI of the ankle
MRI allows you to get an array of information, process it on a computer and simulate a three-dimensional image of the joint being examined.
CT works according to a similar principle, only X-ray radiation is used here.
Arthroscopy is performed using a special apparatus – an arthroscope. This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a small incision is made. Through it, the movable parts of the arthroscope are inserted into the joint and all pathological changes are examined, as well as medical manipulations are performed.
- If osteoporosis is suspected, the patient is referred for densitometry to assess bone density.
- With varicose veins, a phlebologist will help. When diagnosing, ultrasound Doppler ultrasonography, duplex angioscanning are mainly used.
Doppler ultrasonography allows for a detailed assessment of the state of blood vessels using ultrasound.
The second method combines Doppler examination and traditional ultrasound. The information obtained during its application is almost the same as that provided by the ultrasonic ultrasound scan.
- The situation is more complicated with arthritis and arthrosis, as these diseases are caused by many reasons. A rheumatologist, for example, specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatoid, psoriatic, reactive arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, etc. If arthritis is caused by infectious pathogens, the help of an infectious disease specialist will be needed.
In other cases, depending on the origin of the pathology, surgeons, orthopedists or traumatologists will help.
To clarify the diagnosis, use radiography, MRI or CT.
- The same methods are used in the diagnosis of diabetes, plus ultrasound or duplex scanning of blood vessels. Diagnosis is carried out by a rheumatologist and endocrinologist.
- With synovitis, arthroscopy, biopsy, cytological examination are used.
Ankle swelling and pain – how to treat?
Treatment boils down to eliminating pain, relieving edema, and treating the pathologies that caused them.
These factors determine how long the therapy will last. Duration can be one day, week, month or longer.
- To get rid of puffiness, diuretics are used (Furosemide, Hypothiazide, etc.).
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, etc.) relieve inflammation and reduce pain.
- Local anesthetics are used (Lidocaine, Novocaine, etc.)
- To accelerate the restoration of cartilaginous tissue, the use of chondroprotectors (Orthoflex, Teraflex, etc.) is practiced.
- The hormonal drug “Hydrocortisone” is injected into the joint. It is prescribed to slow down the process of joint destruction and alleviate the patient’s condition.
- In those cases when infections are the cause of the joint pathology, antibiotics are prescribed.
- With varicose veins, diabetes mellitus, a specialized treatment of these diseases is carried out with the use of venotonics, sugar-lowering drugs.
The list of physiotherapeutic procedures includes UHF-therapy. It is based on the use of ultra-high frequency electromagnetic fields.
Well resolves edema and reduces pain by using interference currents.
With severe pain, transcranial electrical stimulation helps.
In addition to these procedures, magnetotherapy, paraffin and ozokerite applications are used.
When a joint is damaged, temporary immobilization is important to prevent further damage. Previously, medical bandages were used for this. Today, orthoses are more often used to immobilize the joint. They resemble golf or a sock in shape. Made from modern materials.
In the case of traumatic injuries, the diet does not matter. Diet is important in terms of normalizing weight to reduce the workload on the joint. It plays a certain role when swelling and soreness of the joint are caused by metabolic disorders or other diseases.
In diabetes, you can’t eat chocolate, sweets, honey, raisins, grapes and other sweets. Smoked, spicy, salty, spicy dishes are excluded from the menu. Sugar is consumed in small quantities, in doses recommended by your doctor.
With varicose veins, the diet is aimed at eating more foods that help improve the condition of blood vessels and blood, and also reduce coagulation to prevent blood clots.
In the first case, we are talking about foods with a high content of vitamin C. Black currants, citrus fruits, sauerkraut, etc. must be present in the diet.
It is recommended to increase the use of seafood (mussels, shrimp, etc.), which contain substances that strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
Products such as redcurrant, garlic, lemon, onion thin the blood.
How can I treat at home?
You can get rid of edematous and painful manifestations at home. Traditional medicine offers a wide range of recipes for the treatment of edematous phenomena and pain. However, before applying them, you need to remember that some recipes, such as alcohol, have a warming property. Immediately after the injury, heat must not be applied to the site of damage. I need a cold. To this end, ice may be applied.
After a couple of days, you can use recipes with a warming effect. The list of recipes includes alcohol tinctures on herbs for rubbing and compresses, potato compresses, ointments, foot baths.
Rub, smear, apply compresses must be at least twice a day. Pathological manifestations, depending on their causes, either pass or decrease.
What you need to know about prevention?
- It is necessary to strengthen the muscles and ligaments of the ankle.
- In a state of fatigue, do not exercise.
- You can’t jump from a height.
- It is necessary to keep body weight normal.
- You need to eat right.
- It is necessary to treat diseases in a timely manner.
When the ankle hurts and swells, it is necessary to consult a traumatologist. Do not wait for everything to go by itself. Timely treatment started will help to avoid undesirable complications.
You can learn more about ankle arthritis from the video:
More information on various injuries can be obtained from the video:
Ankle edema: how to remove, causes and treatment of a tumor
The ankle joint must withstand enormous loads daily: walking, running, jumping, maintaining balance. With an intense rhythm of life, it is quite difficult to do without various kinds of injuries.
If there is swelling of the ankle joint, even without the addition of a pain syndrome, it is urgent to seek medical help. After all, swelling is only a symptom, and the underlying disease can be very dangerous, timely treatment is important here.
Causes of edema
An ankle is a complex joint made up of tibia (namely the ankles) and the talus. Connecting with the help of tendons, this joint provides the ability to rotate the foot, bend and unbend it. Unfortunately, this joint does not have “protection” in the form of a developed muscle layer and fatty tissue. Therefore, any, even minor damage can have unpleasant consequences.
Leg swelling in the ankle does not always mean injury. It can occur with a number of other diseases. If in time to find out the cause of the edema of the ankle joint, then the prescribed treatment will be correct and effective.
This is a disease in the pathogenesis of which there is a violation of the metabolic processes of a purine compound, as a result of which uric acid accumulates in large quantities in the body. Most often, with this pathology, the joints of the toes of the foot are affected, but in advanced cases, the process also affects larger joints of the bones.
Incorrect therapy, drinking alcohol, visiting a bath or sauna, excessive consumption of meat or fatty foods can provoke the development of edema and soreness of tissues in the joint.
In this chronic disease, deformation of the cartilaginous surfaces is noted, which leads to a gradual “wear” of the joint. Over time, bone tissue is involved in this process.
Since arthrosis belongs to the group of degenerative inflammatory diseases, with exacerbation of the process, swelling of the tissues will be mandatory. With age, the probability of developing pathology only increases, and with traumatic damage to this area, the chances are steadily increasing.
The appearance of this inflammatory process is often associated with infection or autoimmune diseases. Clinicians distinguish the following types of disease:
- psoriatic arthritis, in which psoriasis is the main disease. Its main symptoms are joint pain, swelling and stiffness of movements; all bone joints can be affected without exception;
- rheumato >
Fasciitis is another inflammatory disease in which tissue swelling is noted. The fascia of the sole is involved in this pathological process. Particularly susceptible to this disease are people who lead an active lifestyle, engage in physical activity. Overweight, prolonged wearing of improperly selected shoes or an abnormal foot structure can also be considered risk factors.
This is an inflammatory disease in which purulent exudate accumulates in the joint cavity, thereby affecting all components. Edema and pain are caused not only by the mechanical effect of the accumulated fluid. As with any non-specific inflammation, the exudate cells themselves and inflammatory mediators affect the condition of the surrounding soft tissues.
Dislocation and fracture
With a dislocation, the joint structure itself is disrupted, but not the integrity of the capsule. This is an important difference between this injury and ligament rupture, which is accompanied by similar symptoms. Dislocation of the ankle is a fairly common injury among athletes, young ladies who prefer high-heeled shoes, and overweight people.
Edema with a fracture is in many ways similar to edema with sprain or dislocation. However, when the bone itself is damaged, pain occurs at rest and during exertion, leg deformation, redness and, with some types of crepitus fracture. Swelling is noted not only in the area of the joint itself. It spreads more medially and laterally from the site of injury.
With any mechanical effect on the soft tissues of the legs, it is urgent to seek medical help. After all, timely medical treatment will help to avoid a huge number of formidable complications.
If the leg in the ankle joint is swollen after an injury, you can provide first aid: apply a cold compress, provide immobilization of the limb. Even if there is no severe pain syndrome, it is worthwhile to see a specialist so that he examines the tumor.
One of the important points in the course of the recovery period during a fracture of one of the components of the ankle joint is to reduce the load. The stabilization of the position of the talus can be disturbed, which leads to the disposition of both tibia. If at this stage you are not alert, then the tibial ligament may rupture, followed by trauma to the bone itself.
Also, prolonged edema can lead to a violation of lymphostasis, which only provokes an increase in swelling. Compression of blood and lymph vessels does not contribute to the rapid and proper restoration of damaged tissues.
If edema is determined exclusively in the region of the ankle itself, and the foot cannot be turned to the side due to sharp, pulling pain, then this symptom indicates precisely an ankle sprain. In this case, topical treatment with warming and restoring gels or ointments is effective. In any pharmacy you can find Diclofenac or Finalgon.
To improve the condition after sprain, it is recommended to provide rest and immobilization to the injured limb. For this, a tight bandage made of an elastic bandage and a reduction in everyday load are perfect.
In case of severe injury, a special ankle clamp can be used to immobilize a damaged limb. To reduce edema and rapid tissue repair, folk remedies can be used. But you should not be guided by them as the main and only methods of treatment.
Principles of therapy
The treatment of ankle edema depends on the symptoms. Thus, we can find out the main cause of the developed condition and act directly on it.
For example, with metabolic diseases, compresses and tight bandaging will not bring any result. Yes, and following a diet with a cracked bone does not contribute to its speedy healing. There are basic principles for the treatment of ankle swelling:
- Restoring tissue integrity (repair of fragments, taping, plaster immobilization, Ilizarov apparatus, etc.)
- Improving microcirculation of blood and lymph.
- Increased vein tone.
- Decreased vascular permeability.
- Removal of exudate.
With bursitis, the exudate accumulated in the cavity must be removed as soon as possible. Thus, not only the mechanical effect of the fluid on the surrounding tissue is reduced. The inflammatory mediators themselves, the lysosomal components of pus will no longer provoke the development and increase of edema. Antibacterial drugs that actively fight the pathogen are injected into the joint cavity. Also, steroid hormones can be used for treatment (but not simultaneously with an antibiotic).
If the swelling is caused by arthritis, it is advisable to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs both in tablet form and in the form of ointments and creams. They effectively reduce swelling and pain. But it should be remembered that the tablet forms have one formidable complication – they can provoke the development of stomach ulcers and the duodenum. That is why they should be taken only under the supervision of a specialist.
B vitamins actively contribute to the restoration of damaged nerve fibers. After all, with the development of edema, not only various vessels, but also peripheral nerves suffer. Intramuscular administration of vitamins helps not only to improve conductivity, but also the general trophic tissue.
This technique is based on local restoration of the damaged tissue structure and can be used for all diseases of the ankle joint. Regular physical therapy exercises for injuries of bones and soft tissues will help to quickly restore structure and function.
Exposure to tissues by ultra-high frequencies (UHF) stimulates the expansion of blood vessels and the restoration of their walls, thereby reducing the exit of plasma into the surrounding tissue.
Ultrasound as an independent method of physiotherapy or in combination with drugs helps not only to normalize blood and lymph flow, but also has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
An integrated approach provides quick results and is an excellent prevention of complications in the future.