Neuralgia of the back – a condition that causes severe pain. It occurs against the background of damage to peripheral nerve fibers. This disease occurs quite often, it can occur in both adults and children.
The cause of extreme discomfort is compression of the nerves with inflamed tissues. Pathological changes affect the narrow interosseous spaces between the ribs. Patients have been trying for some time to get rid of the disease at home, because of which they start its course until serious complications appear. You should not take painkillers for a long time, it is best to consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Causes of appearance
A huge number of factors can provoke the appearance of painful sensations caused by back neuralgia.
Doctors refer to the immediate causes of this pathology:
- Serious diseases of the nervous system – people who often experience neuralgia should be checked regularly by a neurologist. Typically, this condition occurs in those who are at increased risk of multiple sclerosis;
- Infectious processes – pathogenic microorganisms have an extremely negative effect on the state of the body, they are able to aggravate the course of this disease. The greatest danger is influenza, lichen and tuberculosis. Even the common cold, in which a person did not receive treatment in a timely manner, can lead to similar consequences;
- The use of certain drugs. Back neuralgia can occur as a side effect of prolonged use of a number of medications. Chemical components during reactions can release toxic compounds that adversely affect the state of the body;
- Injuries. If the back is damaged, nerve injury may occur. This is the most common cause of neuralgia in children;
- The presence of tumors. Neoplasms in the spine or ribs can provoke damage to nerve fibers, because of which a person is forced to suffer from discomfort.
Diagnosing neuralgia of the back is quite simple. The patient goes to the doctor with complaints of severe dull lower back pain. It is there that the blocked nerve is located. In rare cases, patients characterize the pain as paroxysmal, subsiding from time to time.
In this case, secondary signs of the pain syndrome are observed: increased sweating, high body temperature, pallor of the skin and trembling in the muscles throughout the body.
In the initial stages, neuralgia of the back develops with a sharp muscle spasm, which occurs against the background of a sharp movement. Most often, patients begin to feel discomfort after sleeping in an uncomfortable position, weight lifting, back injury.
Another feature of back neuralgia is a strong pain syndrome during palpation of the back spine. It also occurs during manipulations with the sides of the thoracic spine. The greatest discomfort is manifested in the intercostal zone.
What happens if you ignore neuralgia?
With neuralgia of the back, the muscles responsible for the extension of the spinal column are affected. If untreated, all discs located from the shoulder blades to the lower back undergo a degenerative process. A person experiences severe pain.
If treatment is not started in time, the patient may experience serious complications.
First of all, he has specular pains radiating to his arms and legs. Over time, an atrophy of the abdominal muscles is formed, because of which a person becomes constrained in his movements.
The muscles of the respiratory apparatus are also disrupted – they become weak, a person cannot fully breathe. Over time, he develops signs of shingles, herpes – any watery vesicles on the surface of the skin. It is accompanied by all the increased body temperature, additionally there are changes in the chemical composition of the blood.
With prolonged absence of treatment, pain from back neuralgia recedes. Despite this, in the future, a person faces serious relapses: inflammation increases, soreness fetters the whole body. The patient cannot move.
If you do not provide him with full medical support, there is a risk of developing paralysis.
If you consult a doctor in the initial stages of the course of this disease, you can get rid of the painful sensations quite quickly. It is strictly forbidden to engage in home self-medication, as this can lead to serious complications.
First of all, it is necessary to do everything possible to stop the pain syndrome. To do this, the specialist needs to determine exactly what triggered the neuralgia.
To successfully get rid of soreness, the following methods are used:
- Drug therapy;
- Manual therapy;
- Physiotherapeutic procedures;
- Therapeutic physical training.
Physiotherapeutic procedures are also recommended for the prevention of neuralgia in the future. Try to do herbal baths, warm-ups, or ultrasounds from time to time. This favorably affects the state of muscle fibers, prevents spasms.
However, before you go to the doctor, you must always consult with a specialist.
The basis of the treatment of neuralgia of the back is the use of medications. They are aimed at reducing soreness, getting rid of the inflammatory process, as well as restoring the functionality of damaged tissues.
Keep in mind that prescribing drugs should be exclusively by the attending physician based on a detailed diagnosis.
The following medicines are usually used:
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs – Ibuprofen, Ortofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac;
- To relieve muscle spasm – Gabapentin, Carbamazepine, Finlepsin;
- Antidepressants to restore muscle tone – Duloxetine, Amitriptyline;
- To normalize blood circulation – B vitamins;
- For the relief of pain – novocaine blockade;
- To relieve puffiness – Voltaren, Finalgon, Diclofenac, Indomethacin.
Traditional methods of treatment
It is possible to get rid of neuralgia of the back without drug therapy, however, for this to begin treatment is necessary in the initial stages of this disease.
The most popular recipes for back neuralgia are:
- Yarrow broth. To prepare it, take a tablespoon of dry grass, pour 200 ml of boiling water over it. Leave the product for 1 hour to insist, then take 3 times a day before each meal;
- Tincture of the immortelle root. To prepare it, you will need 100 grams of dry grass and 1 liter of food vinegar. Mix these components, then tightly close the l >
Subject to certain rules, you will be able to significantly reduce the risk of back neuralgia.
To prevent pain, follow these guidelines:
- Do warm-up before doing sports;
- Avoid stress, worries, worries;
- Eat fully and correctly;
- Try to sleep at least 8 hours a day;
- Do your best to harden the body;
- Drink vitamin complexes regularly;
- Visit the pool;
- Walk outdoors as often as possible;
- Get rid of all pathogenic processes in a timely manner.
Neuralgia of the back is an extremely painful process due to which a person cannot move. If the first signs of this condition appear, consult a doctor immediately. Do not poison yourself with chemical drugs that only stop the pain. It is necessary to deal with the cause of discomfort.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .