About 10 percent of fractures are finger fractures. The phenomenon requires prolonged rehabilitation at the end of treatment. As soon as the bones grow together and the plaster is removed, you need to know how to properly develop your finger after the fracture so that it retains mobility and aesthetics.
The main signs that the finger is broken:
- Aching pain, extending from the site of damage throughout the finger and even in some cases, extending to the wrist and the arm itself, up to the elbow. When touching a finger, pain only increases;
- A hematoma is formed, hemorrhage under the skin;
- Edema in the damaged area;
- Explicit deformation of the finger;
- Limited movement – you can’t straighten your fingers. You can check by trying to straighten your hand on the table.
There is a risk that, at the same time as the fracture, joint dislocation may occur, or the ligaments and tendons will be damaged.
If the fingers from the index to the little finger during the fracture have more or less the same signs, then the fracture of the first thumb can be confused with a dislocation or an ordinary bruise. Most often, its main phalanx is damaged.
Which treatment method will be selected depends on the characteristics of the particular case:
|Treatment method||When applied||Features|
|Conservative||In the absence of displacement and if the joint was not affected by the fracture||Using plaster tape, the doctor will fix the area on the finger that has been damaged. A polymer dressing is also used. A nearby finger may protrude.|
|Displacement is present, but the fracture is stable.||Displacement is removed by local anesthesia. Surgical intervention is not applicable. It is fixed with plaster tape and a polymer bandage.|
|Surgery – Osteosynthesis||With an unstable fracture form, when the surfaces of the joints are damaged, there are displaced fragments, a pronounced deformation.||It is necessary to restore the anatomically correct shape of the finger and hand. The doctor makes incisions, connects the fragments and fixes using plates, knitting needles and screws. Sutures can be removed after 2-3 weeks.|
Distinctive characteristics of finger fractures in the hands:
- Big. Fracture can occur as a result of severe injury. Treatment should be as careful as possible, since the bones in this area have a particularly complex location. The doctor must first fix the injured bone, and then apply a bandage to immobilize the finger until the broken parts are completely fused;
- Pointing. Often accompanied by dislocation. It is not treated for long and without complications. In many cases, the index can be set without using anesthesia;
- Average. The quick and clear help of a qualified professional is important here. Such a fracture can provoke further general hand functionality;
- Nameless. After a fracture, it grows long and difficult. Need a cast, as in other cases. But here, the doctor’s observation should be especially careful;
- Little finger. It may break due to an unsuccessful fall on the brush. The movement of the arm as a result is limited, the pain is sharp and pointed.
Exercise for the fingers after removing the cast
In the process of treating a fracture, gypsum is applied to the finger and a substantial part of the arm. Thus, their mobility is limited. Within a few weeks, the bones grow together, the pain completely disappears and the question arises of how to develop fingers after a fracture of the arm.
There are many exercises to recover from a fracture. It is also recommended to connect special therapeutic exercises to the standard complex:
To squeeze a hand into a fist, imagine that there is a lighter ins >
Development of 2-5 fingers after a phalangeal fracture
Each of the proposed exercises is preferably repeated ten times. If it turns out easy and there is no discomfort, you can do more repetitions. If pain is felt, then the amount should be reduced.
- Exercise 1 – Lock. Fingers need to be connected in a lock and carefully knead them;
- Exercise 2 – Fist. You just need to squeeze and unclench your hand. It should be done slowly, without unnecessary efforts, trying to feel every bone and joint. The number of repetitions depends on the basic sensations and comfort;
- Exercise 3 – Caterpillar. First, put the brush perpendicular to the table surface so that the fingertips touch a hard surface. Then you need to lower your palm, press it to the table. Next, collect all your fingers into a fist and straighten again. Return the brush to its original position. Such movements imitating a caterpillar should be repeated several times;
- Exercise 4 – stretching. Fingers are combined into a lock and palms outward stretched in front of them. The lock cannot be disconnected. You have to stretch, while flexing your fingers at the same time. Then the lock is pressed to the body, palms inward and fingers are stretched again;
- Exercise 5 – a bunch. Pinch all fingers together – a big pinch. Then spread your fingers in different directions. Repeat 10-15 times;
- Exercise 6 – Fan. Spread your fingers in different directions depicting a fan. Spread them as wide as possible. Painful sensations can appear even in the case of an absolutely healthy hand. If the discomfort is tolerable, then this is normal and is a great stretch of the joints;
- Exercise 7 – Clicks. Connect two hands with palms to each other. Alternately, with each pair of fingers, make clicks, pushing them to the sides;
- Exercise 8 – the drum. Put your hand on a flat surface, palms down. Alternately raise each finger up and immediately lower it, drumming on the surface, and then raise and let all the fingers together.
Despite the intensity of this kind of exercise, rehabilitation of finger fractures can take about a month after the cast is removed. It is important not to overwork the hand, thus limiting the risk of complications. Sometimes a doctor may recommend exercise therapy, massage and physiotherapy. All this will only speed up the healing process and return to full activity.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .