Surgical treatment of esophageal hernia is necessary only in one out of ten cases, therefore conservative therapy is widespread among patients with protrusion of the abdominal organs through the esophageal-diaphragmatic opening. Such a disease occurs in people with weakened muscle walls or impaired functioning of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, which lose their anatomical position. The danger is only strangulated hernia of the esophagus, which could not be diagnosed on time, therefore it is important to pay attention to nonspecific symptoms indicating a disease of the esophagus.
Signs of a hernia with which you need to see a doctor:
- diaphragm discomfort;
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath;
- the appearance of pain after saturation;
- heartburn, hiccups, chest pain;
- tachycardia, indigestion.
These symptoms can speak of many diseases, but after diagnosis and revealing a hernia of the esophagus, there is every chance of starting a conservative treatment without the need for surgery. It is important to understand that, in some cases, esophageal hernia is a surgical disease, and it is impossible to cope with it without surgery, self-medication can end fatally.
- Methods of non-surgical treatment of hernia
- Medication Therapy
- Folk methods
- Esophageal hernia diet
- Contraindications for hernia self-medication
- Esophageal hernia diaphragm treatment without surgery
- The essence and features of pathology
- Types of hernia
- Causes and factors of the development of the disease
- When is surgery necessary?
- Non-surgical methods for the treatment of esophageal hernia
- Special breathing exercises
- Dietary food
- Esophageal hernia: symptoms and treatment
- Drug treatment of esophageal hernia
- Esophageal hernia diet
- Esophageal hernia lifestyle
- Esophageal hernia surgery
- health blog. We have folk simple treatments
- Popular Posts
- Popular Posts
- STOMACH HERNIA: HOW TO BE MANAGED WITHOUT AN OPERATION
Methods of non-surgical treatment of hernia
Specialists after diagnosing a hernia of the esophagus prescribe a comprehensive treatment without surgery, which includes medication, physiotherapeutic effect on the disease. But this is not all measures are necessary when protruding in the area of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm. You can improve the condition by performing simple but highly effective exercises to eliminate pain, normalize digestion and increase muscle tone.
The main stages of hernia treatment without surgery:
- Medications are prescribed for pain relief, prevention of inflammation of the esophagus, elimination of intestinal cramps, normalization of secretory function and acidity of the gastric juice;
- The patient is trained in special respiratory gymnastics, which not only strengthens the muscles, but also allows you to get rid of respiratory disorders associated with this disease;
- Appointment of therapeutic and prophylactic gymnastics to improve blood circulation and increase muscle tone;
- Correction of lifestyle, elimination of bad habits, including overeating, sleep after eating, eating junk food, physical inactivity;
- The use of alternative methods of treatment with medicines, which are time-tested and eliminate heartburn, increased acidity of the stomach, inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Compliance with diet, a complete ban on certain products, sometimes a hernia can be cured by extremely strict dietary restrictions.
Important! Symptomatic treatment of protrusion of the esophagus can be carried out at home, which is practiced in 90% of cases.
Treatment with drugs takes up most of the therapy, tablets and solutions can remove the symptomatic complex, which prevents the patient from living normally.
With a hernia of the esophagus, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
H-2 blockers of histamine receptors that reduce the secretion of hydrochloric ac >
In the case of concomitant gastrointestinal diseases, additional medications may be prescribed to the patient. In case of internal bleeding and anemic syndrome, hemostatic and antianemic drugs are prescribed. Ursodeoxycholic acid preparations are used to treat reflux, they reduce the aggressiveness of bile, which is thrown into the esophagus. Long-acting antacids are indicated for a serious local inflammatory reaction. This is not all treatment of hernia of the esophagus, which is selected individually in each case.
Home treatment with folk remedies can be underestimated, but there are recipes that are so strong that they help for many years to cope with serious and not very pleasant symptoms.
Three effective methods of self-healing hernia:
You can eliminate the symptoms of heartburn and sensations of a foreign body in the throat by decoction of orange peels and licorice. To do this, you need to displace in equal parts these two ingredients and add water to completely cover the crusts. Boil over low heat until the liqu >
Important! Folk recipes seem safe, but to be completely sure and evaluate their effectiveness, you should first consult your doctor.
Esophageal hernia diet
Proper nutrition is the basis of the treatment of hernial protrusion of the esophageal-diaphragmatic opening, and only with the observance of dietary principles can we talk about the effectiveness of other treatment options.
How to eat with a hernia AML?
- Strict diet: one meal should not completely satisfy the hunger, so as not to strain the stomach. This does not mean malnutrition, because you can fool your brain if you eat slowly. You need to eat a small portion of food, stretching the meal for 10 minutes – enough time for a saturation signal to arrive. When a person eats quickly, he can eat anything within 10 minutes, hunger, of course, satisfy, but the stomach will be full, which will result in great discomfort and even pain for a person with an esophageal-diaphragmatic hernia;
- Selection of products that reduce the acidity of gastric juice: it is strictly forbidden to eat spicy dishes, you need to limit spices, sweets, smoked meats and fried foods. Such food provokes increased production of gastric juice, which is thrown into the esophagus, causing inflammation. Gentle nutrition for the mucous membrane of the stomach and esophagus – a zoologist effective and safe treatment;
- Esophageal hernia is aggravated with a large accumulation of gases in the intestine and in case of constipation, because the patient excludes food that provokes these processes. Dangerous foods include corn, cabbage (excluding cabbage juice), soda, legumes, and yeast.
Without an adequate diet drawn up with a doctor, the hernia will progress and carry more and more negative consequences every day, which accumulate over time and can turn out to be life threatening.
Contraindications for hernia self-medication
You can not relieve pain and other concomitant manifestations of esophageal hernia at home, when there is a risk of complications. A dangerous period can be determined by several important diagnostic signs.
Signs of complicated hernia:
- the appearance of nausea and vomiting with blood or feces;
- enlargement and tightening of the abdomen, a symptom of a hard board;
- prolonged lack of bowel movement, the appearance of blood with feces;
- severe chest pain, tachycardia, respiratory failure.
A pinched organ can rupture, and perforation leads to acute intoxication of the body, which without treatment ends lethally. Such a complication is always treated surgically, after which rehabilitation and drug treatment are already underway.
Esophageal hernia diaphragm treatment without surgery
The incidence or manifestation of this pathology in clinical practice is about 5% of all cases, while its formation is characteristic of patients older than 50 years, especially women. The pathology itself manifests itself by protrusion of the upper parts of the stomach or lower elements of the esophagus into the chest cavity. The bulk of the various hernias involves surgical methods of treatment, which, firstly, is not always effective, and secondly, not every patient is able to withstand the operation, especially when it comes to older patients. Is esophageal hernia treatment acceptable without surgery? Experts answer this question ambiguously, but almost all recognize the effectiveness and efficiency, as well as the safety of inoperable methods of treating this pathology.
The essence and features of pathology
Hernia of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm is a chronic pathology, namely, the abdominal esophagus, cardinal zones of the stomach, and in some cases, loops of the small intestine are displaced through the esophagus in the diaphragm into the chest cavity. The desire to cure a hernia of the esophagus without surgery is largely due to the fact that the disease does not cause severe pain syndromes.
The disease in the bulk of cases of great discomfort does not deliver to patients, since the course of the disease occurs almost asymptomatically. The ability to detect the presence of pathology at an early stage of formation largely depends on the qualification and competence of the attending physician. Most often, patients are disturbed by a pressing dull pain in the epigastric zone. Such pathologies are detected, as a rule, by chance, during diagnosis by x-ray of other diseases of the stomach, esophagus. The similarity of symptoms with manifestations of cardiological pathologies complicates the diagnosis of this disease.
Types of hernia
So, the following varieties of hernia are distinguished:
- Axial hernia, also referred to as sliding. This type is different in that hernias falling into the chest area can independently come back;
- Paraesophagenic hernia – in this case, only part of the fundal zone falls into the chest area;
- Mixed hernia – this type has the features of the two previous types of hiatal hernia.
Causes and factors of the development of the disease
Among the factors that can cause a disease, the following are distinguished:
- Weakening of the ligaments that strengthen the esophagus in the area of the opening of the diaphragm;
- Increasing abdominal pressure;
- Various types of disorders of the motility of the esophagus and digestive system as a whole.
Among the complex of reasons that can cause HPOD, doctors distinguish such as:
- Pregnancy, which can cause an increase in intra-abdominal pressure, also a similar condition causes constipation, also characteristic of pregnant women;
- Neoplasms in the esophagus of a benign and malignant type;
- Intrauterine pathology;
- Abnormalities in the development of the esophagus, such as the “short esophagus”.
At the same time, diseases such as gastroenterological reflux disease, varicose veins, hemorrho />
When is surgery necessary?
Despite the many advantages of inoperable treatment methods, in some cases they are a necessity and the only possible way to get r />
Non-surgical methods for the treatment of esophageal hernia
The opinion of experts is such that in most cases, this ailment can be successfully treated with non-surgical methods. The main conservative methods of treatment include:
- Drug therapy;
- Special breathing exercises
- Special diet;
- Appropriate lifestyle;
- Folk methods.
Let us examine each of the methods in more detail.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
It should be comprehensive and the main direction is the elimination of the main symptoms – belching, heartburn, discomfort and pain in the esophagus after a hearty meal. The following drugs are prescribed:
Almagel, Maalox, Gastal, etc. are drugs with an antac >If complications arose during the course of the disease, then in addition to the above, the doctor prescribes additional drugs.
- In chronic bleeding – hemostatic and antianemic drugs. They should prevent blood loss and the formation of hypochromic iron deficiency anemia;
- If the contents of the duodenum are regularly thrown into the esophagus, then preparations of ursodeoxycholic acid are prescribed. They break down bile and reduce its irritating effect on the mucous membrane of the esophagus;
- If there is stenosis (narrowing) of the esophagus, then antacids with prolonged action and local anti-inflammatory drugs are used.
If patients with hernia of the esophagus have other chronic diseases, it is imperative to notify the doctor about them. Since some medicines do not combine with each other.
Special breathing exercises
Many patients neglect it, saying how to cure a hernia of the esophagus by breathing and do it in vain. The only drawback is that improvement occurs after 2-3 months of regular training.
Exercises – there are only three of them:
I.P. lying on the s >It is carried out on an empty stomach, at least 30-40 minutes before meals. Exercises can be taken from the attending physician, since the gymnastics complex is one of the mandatory in the treatment of esophageal hernia without surgery.
There is a need in small portions – this is the so-called fractional nutrition. Food should be rich in protein, vegetables, fruits. But it is necessary to exclude from the diet those dishes that cause bloating, gases. Do not forget to eat dairy products.
Patients with a hernia should monitor their weight. Move more. Sleep in a special pose – half-sitting or with a raised headboard.
Forbidden large physical exertion, especially associated with torso forward.
It is necessary to give up smoking and alcohol.
Clothing should be loose, no tight clothes, corsets or bandages.
She treats hernia with collections of medicinal herbs. These fees are designed to combat heartburn, constipation and bloating. These are the following decoctions – a slipper of red, an alcohol solution of propolis, an infusion of leaves of stone bones.
Esophageal hernia: symptoms and treatment
Many people suffer from a disease such as a hernia of the esophagus, which takes a long time to treat. According to professionals, to treat a hernia at the opening of the diaphragm is necessary only in 10 percent of cases. In other situations, medications, special physical exercises, breathing exercises and diet help. In addition, you must observe the correct regime of the day, as well as monitor nutrition. In addition, many people use recipes from traditional medicine. They are quite effective as an auxiliary method.
Drug treatment of esophageal hernia
Medicines help eliminate the main symptoms of the disease, such as discomfort and pain in the chest and abdomen, heartburn, belching, hiccups, problems with swallowing, nausea, vomiting, and more.
The doctor should prescribe antacid drugs. These include: Gastal, Rennie, Almagel and Maalox. These drugs are able to bind hydrochloric acid, which is part of the gastric juice. Otherwise, the fluid will enter the esophagus and irritate the mucous membranes.
The doctor prescribes proton pump inhibitors. Such drugs include Pantoprazole, Omeprazole and Esomeprazole. These drugs can prevent the overproduction of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
Histamine receptor blockers are required. Among such agents, Ranitidine, Famotidine, Roxatidine, Nizatidine, Cimetidine are known. They reduce the production of hydrochloric acid and prevent it from entering the stomach.
Prokinetics stabilize the work of the food canal, which prevents the gastric juice and the food coma from escaping back into the esophagus. Among these drugs, Metoclopramide, Cisapride and Domperidone have proven themselves well.
In some cases, treatment may be complicated by side effects of a hernia, so the doctor prescribes additional drugs.
If a person is constantly suffering from blood loss, then he may develop a syndrome such as iron deficiency anemia. Then drugs are needed that can stop the blood. In such a situation, the doctor should prescribe and funds for anemia.
If a food lump enters the esophagus, which was supposed to pass into the duodenum, but returned from there, then drugs are needed that contain ursodeoxycholic acids. They are able to break down bile, so there will be no irritation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus.
If, due to a hernia, the lumen in the esophagus gradually narrows, then antacids with a long action are needed. In this situation, drugs with an anti-inflammatory effect are indicated.
If patients who suffer from a hernia of the esophagus have other diseases, it is necessary to warn the doctor. In this case, drug treatment can be adjusted.
Esophageal hernia diet
A patient with such a disease should eat in very small portions, but often enough. Dishes should contain a large amount of protein. Very useful fruits and vegetables.
In addition, fermented and dairy products are needed, as they help the digestion process. You can eat semi-liquid and liquid cereals, because they are well absorbed by the stomach.
It is necessary to completely abandon excessively fatty foods. The same applies to fried, spicy, smoked products. In addition, it is necessary to eliminate from the diet all foods that can cause bloating, constipation and lead to increased production of gastric juice.
Esophageal hernia lifestyle
It is best to try to gradually lose weight if a person is overweight. Between eating and sleeping, you need to withstand at least three hours of pause, which will give the body time for processing foods. Otherwise, heartburn and digestion problems begin. The same applies to periods between food and physical activity. It is best to sleep half-sitting or raising your head higher. A sleeping position is allowed on the side, but only on the right. It’s better not to lean forward. In addition, you need to completely give up smoking and alcohol. Clothing should not compress the chest and abdominal areas.
You can engage in special breathing exercises. But the effect will be noticeable only after 3 months. All actions are allowed 3 hours after a meal.
If a person wants to cure a hernia of the esophagus without surgical intervention, then a set of exercises will need to be repeated daily. All actions are performed on an empty stomach. It is allowed to eat only one hour after the end of all actions.
As an adjuvant, you can drink decoctions, tinctures and herbal teas. These remedies will help overcome bloating, heartburn and diarrhea. These herbs include bone leaves, red slipper and propolis. In addition, gooseberry leaves, coltsfoot, mint, caraway seeds, fennel, anise are useful in this ailment. With diarrhea, you can use olive oil, kefir. Olive oil can be replaced with corn.
Esophageal hernia surgery
If conservative treatment does not help, a hiatal hernia will continue to grow.
Medicines, therapeutic exercises, diet and folk recipes can only eliminate the symptoms of this disease, but they can not slow down the process when the disease progresses.
This leads to the fact that it becomes necessary surgical intervention. Surgery is required in the following cases:
- when the neoplasm increased in size;
- if the patient is constantly experiencing heartburn (frequent ingestion of gastric juice into the esophagus destroys the tissues and mucous membrane and leads to inflammatory processes);
- problems with swallowing begin: it is difficult to swallow first only sol >At the attending physician it is necessary to discuss the operation in advance. The main goal of surgery is to prevent the passage of gastric juice and stomach contents into the esophagus. The operation can be performed by several methods. The most commonly used Nissen fundoplication. This operation can be open or laparoscopic. But the second option cannot be used if a patient has a hernia of the esophagus a second time.
There are several groups of surgical operations in this area. Firstly, the surgeon can do crurography and hernia repair. This means that the gate near the hernia will need to be sutured, as well as to strengthen the ligaments in the esophagus and diaphragm zones. Secondly, the surgeon can fix the stomach. This operation is called gastropexy. Thirdly, the doctor can perform a resection of the esophagus, but only if the stenosis is cicatricial and it is not amenable to medical treatment. Fundoplication is also distinguished when the correct angle between the abdominal sector, esophagus and stomach is restored during the operation. The prognosis for such methods is considered favorable.
People who suffer from the disease think about how to treat a hernia of the esophagus. This is a serious enough disease that brings discomfort to the patient. First of all, it is necessary to limit nutrition. The doctor will explain which diet is right for the patient. In addition, drug treatment is necessary, since inflammatory processes can begin.
In addition, medications can help eliminate symptoms. However, this will not be enough, so after a while the patient will need surgery. In most cases, an operation cannot be dispensed with, since with a hernia of the esophagus, medication treatment only helps to alleviate the symptoms. As additional methods, you must definitely go on a diet, do special gymnastics and breathing exercises. Alternative medicine recipes will also be helpful.
health blog. We have folk simple treatments
STOMACH HERNIA: HOW TO BE MANAGED WITHOUT AN OPERATION
STOMACH HERNIA: MAY BE MANAGED WITHOUT AN OPERATION
A fair amount of letters accumulated in the editorial mail with questions regarding the treatment of hiatal hernia. “I am 59 years old. The diagnosis is a hernia of the stomach, writes Svetlana Mikhailovna Ovchinnikova from Krasnodar. – Stomach pain, vomiting, belching, hiccups, bloating, constipation are tormenting. They offer an operation, but I would really like to avoid it. Are there really no other treatments? Maybe there are some folk remedies for this ailment? ”TG Zhilkina from Angarsk, Irkutsk Region, also offers surgery for a hernia of the stomach. “I would like to get advice from a good specialist: how to be treated?” The reader writes. “You have to go under the knife only as a last resort.” ZOZh correspondent Vladimir Kirillov met with the head of the Strana Zdorovya multidisciplinary clinic, a doctor of medical sciences, professor Vitaly Evgenievich NAZAROV and asked him to answer the questions of the residents of Zozhevtsy.
Vitaly NAZAROV: With a hernia of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm, or, as readers call it, a hernia of the stomach, the situation is quite simple. This is one of those diseases that can be said about: the devil is not so terrible as he is painted.
Between the abdominal and chest cavity there is a thin muscle plate that separates these cavities and isolates the lungs, heart and aorta from the stomach, liver, intestines and other abdominal organs. It is called a diaphragm. It has only one large opening through which the esophagus passes. Normally, the diameter of this hole is equal to the diameter of the esophagus. If a person has a habit of overeating, and after a hearty lunch, lie down on the couch or, conversely, engage in heavy physical labor for a full expert advises
it can manifest itself in the form of heartburn or belching, pain in the sternum, or even interruptions in the work of the heart that occur when the contents of the stomach are thrown into the esophagus due to defective work of the muscle ring that blocks the exit from the esophagus to the stomach (cardiac pulp).
At the same time, an interesting fact was noted: while a person does not know that he has a hernia, nothing bothers him, but if he undergoes an examination and finds out about the hernia, moreover, if the “kind” doctor says that an operation is necessary, then begins. The patient plagues both himself and the doctors with complaints and gradually begins to believe that his suffering is painful and unbearable. This suggests that the hernia of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm to some extent belongs to the category of psychosomatic diseases.
“HLS”: Why do many gastroenterologists say that it is possible to completely cure a hiatal hernia only by surgery?
VN: At present, there is a consensus, that is, an international agreement reached by leading experts in the field of gastroenterology for the treatment of hiatal hernia, including the following points. The first – you need to operate only giant hernias, that is, those that occupy more than a third of the esophagus. The second – complicated hernias should be operated on when there is an ulcer of the esophagus associated with bleeding. The third – in all other cases, and this is more than 90% of hernias, surgery is not required. Fourth – operation anyway
does not eliminate the causes of hernia. What are these reasons? Overeating, smoking, drinking hard liquor. Fifth, the patient who is diagnosed with a hernia of the esophageal diaphragm should give up bad habits and undergo a course of conservative treatment, which is aimed at eliminating the reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus and eliminating the consequences of this reflux, such as inflammation and erosion.
“Healthy”: What is the conservative treatment?
VN: First of all, this is the intake of antisecretory drugs that suppress the acidity of gastric juice. The most popular in this group is omeprazole and its derivatives lansoprazole, rabeprazole, pan-toprazole, esomeprazole. In addition, drugs are needed that increase the tone of the muscle valve between the esophagus and stomach and make the stomach work in only one, right direction. These are the so-called prokinetics: motilium, cerucal, cisapride. All the drugs I mentioned are prescribed strictly individually.
And finally, antacids: the well-known maalox, almagel, and smecta.
“Healthy”: Obviously, diet is important in the treatment of this disease?
VN: As for diet, first of all, nutrition should be fractional. It is necessary to eat 5-6 times a day in non-large portions, without overflowing the stomach. The last meal is 2-3 hours before bedtime. It’s important to try to reduce the acidity of the gastric juice,
so that it does not irritate the mucous membrane of the esophagus. To do this, restrict fried foods, spicy foods, spices, sweets in the diet. The cessation of flatulence will help the rejection of products that cause increased gas formation, such as brown bread, milk, peas, beans, sauerkraut and fresh cabbage, grapes. And to eliminate constipation, it is good to eat beets, prunes, seaweed, drink on an empty stomach half a glass of plain water. It would be nice for each patient to make an individual list of products, after which he develop heartburn, bloating, belching. For example, after deep-fried donuts, heartburn occurs in everyone, even in healthy ones, but there are also individual characteristics. There are people whose heartburn is caused only by some varieties of instant coffee, while ground coffee they can drink calmly. That is, the patient must make his own list of products that he does not tolerate, and accordingly exclude them from his diet.
Patients who are diagnosed with a hernia, as I said, should once and for all abandon the habit of lying down after eating or, conversely, physically work, especially in an inclined position, on a full stomach. After eating, I advise you to sit for an hour, or rather, walk around, this will accelerate the evacuation of food from the stomach. You should also not drink water, as, indeed, any other liquid (especially gas-containing drinks), in between meals.
It is advisable to sleep on the right side, since in this position, due to the anatomical features, the contents of the stomach are less often thrown into the esophagus.
“Healthy”: In conclusion, our traditional question: can folk remedies help in the treatment of hiatal hernia?
VN: For lovers of herbal medicine I can recommend a good herbal remedy for heartburn.
• Grind and mix 1 tbsp. spoon of marshmallow root, peppermint grass, coltsfoot leaves and flax seeds. 3 tbsp. tablespoons of the mixture pour 1 liter of cold water, insist 1 hour, then boil for 5 minutes in a water bath. When it cools, strain and drink 0,5 cups 5-6 times a day.
• When bloating, I recommend crushing and mixing 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaves, fennel fruits, anise seeds and cumin seeds. 1 tbsp. pour a spoonful of the mixture with 300 ml of hot water, boil for 15 minutes, insist 1 hour, strain and drink 0,5 cups 3-4 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
• Effective in the treatment of hernia infusion of gooseberry leaves. 1 tbsp. a spoonful of gooseberry leaves pour 0,5 liters of water, leave for 2 hours and drink 0,5 cups 3-4 times a day before meals.