Regular treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home can reduce the number of exacerbations and extend the intervals between them. In this article we will tell you how to improve the quality of life of the patient and improve his performance.
The basics of cervical osteochondrosis treatment at home
The treatment program has several main goals:
- improvement of well-being;
- performance improvement;
- minimize the risk of complications;
- extension of remissions between seizures.
The basic principles of successful treatment are timeliness, compliance with the clinical stage, and regularity. There are several methods that must be used in combination for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis. Drug therapy, folk remedies, physical education, massage.
They diversify the spine and improve its condition and function.
It is advisable to coordinate treatment with a doctor so that it matches the state of the body, combined with the treatment of concomitant pathology. It is especially worthwhile to exclude contraindications to certain treatment methods. This applies to folk methods and physiotherapy.
A marker of improvement is a reduction in pain syndromes, restoration of range of motion, elimination of impaired motor and sensory functions, and restoration of working capacity.
It should be remembered that there are conditions of osteochondrosis in which the patient is shown hospitalization in a hospital. This is necessary for complications, circulatory disorders in the tissues of the spine, persistent pain, inefficiency of conservative methods.
Drug treatment of pathology
Medicines do not make sense if you do not remove the negative factors that aggravate the disease. First you need to create comfortable conditions for the cervical spine and eliminate the negative effects on the body.
The following groups of drugs are used to treat osteochondrosis:
- Analgesics. They are used for severe pain in the spine, limiting mobility. Drugs – analgin, primarygon, spasmalgon.
- Sedatives. Used with severe excitement caused by a pain attack. Apply at night. Drugs – gidazepam, phenazepam.
- Muscle relaxants. Resist the tension of the muscles located along the spinal column, eliminate the feeling of tension and compression. Preparations – midocal, miaxyl, baclofen.
- Non-steroid drugs. They are used to relieve swelling, inflammation, spasm. Drugs – lornoxicam, meloxicam. They relate to cyclooxygenase inhibitors that are most consistent with this condition.
- Local preparations. To alleviate the condition, ointments and creams are used. They can be diclofenac or diclac (to reduce inflammatory symptoms) or chondroitin-based ointments, which are used to improve the condition of cartilage.
- Microcirculation enhancing drugs. Trental, polyglucin is used to stimulate blood circulation. They increase oxygen delivery to tissues, restore metabolism, and improve venous outflow.
- Diuretics. They can be used for a short time for decompression (reducing the exit of fluid into the intracellular space). Drugs – hypothiazide, furosemide.
- Drug blockades. They are used for severe pain syndrome with high intensity. They are necessary in order to resume the patient’s motor activity and improve his condition. blockades with diphenhydramine, hydrocortisone, dexamethasone are used.
- Vitamin preparations. B vitamins are used, which improve the function of innervation, restore the structure and function of the roots. You can combine tablet and injectable release forms.
All drugs should be used strictly according to the scheme, in accordance with body weight, age, and concomitant pathology. Improving the condition after the start of taking is not a reason to cancel the drug, you must continue the course to the end.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine with compresses
Compresses can be used for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at home. This is an effective and simple treatment method that is easy to use and can be done independently. For compresses, herbal and other therapeutic components are used. There are various types of compresses, depending on their effect on the tissue.
A warming compress relieves pain in the cervical spine and improves the patient’s condition. They are used for severe discomfort.
The compress consists of a bandage or gauze, leaked with medicine, coated on top with a layer of cellophane and warm tissue.
You can apply the following components from osteochondrosis:
- grated potatoes;
- hop cones;
- animal fat;
- mint leaves;
- cabbage leaves.
You can use components insisted on alcohol. As the active substance, aloe, mustard powder, propolis, elderberry, horseradish root are used. To make tincture, it is necessary to fill in the selected element with vodka or alcohol, observing a proportion of 1: 1. Keep the product in the refrigerator and use for compresses.
Medicinal decoctions for osteochondrosis are good because they comprehensively affect the body and improve the patient’s condition and can be prepared at home. The following medicinal plants are used: calendula, linden, chamomile, eucalyptus, cinquefoil, currant and raspberry leaves, dry raspberries and lingonberries, cinquefoil, coltsfoot, horsetail, ivan tea. Rosehip, lemon balm, motherwort and valerian are also used for complex home treatment of neck osteochondrosis.
You can combine herbs and make them fees, teas and decoctions.
The action of such drugs:
- reduction in inflammation;
- stimulation of the elimination of toxins and waste substances from tissues;
- stimulation of venous outflow and outflow of lymph.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine with decoctions should be regular. The fact of the matter is that the effect occurs after a long intake, when there is an accumulation of useful components.
A person who takes herbal preparations will never complain of an overdose or side effects – plants improve his condition.
Take the broth 2-3 times a day, in a calm state, in the morning and before bedtime. It is better to do half an hour before a meal. Store the finished broth for 1-1,5 days, no longer. It is better to make a new serving and drink a fresh remedy. Between meals, keep it in the refrigerator. It is better to pour the broth in a clean glass dish when it is stored in the cold.
The general effects of herbal decoctions are the soothing of osteochondrosis, an increase in immune defense, an antiseptic effect, and an improvement in the tone of muscles and blood vessels. Improving the general condition has a positive effect on appetite, sleep and the work of all organs. An excellent option is to replace the usual tea and coffee with a decoction, which, on the contrary, worsen the state of blood flow. You should also abandon other bad habits that nullify all therapeutic efforts.
The desired length of the course of administration is 20-30 days. You can take a break for several weeks, after which change the composition and take another decoction. Alternate anti-inflammatory and soothing, analgesic components.
Ointments for home treatment of osteochondrosis of the neck
The use of ointments with drugs has several aspects. on the one hand, it is an excellent treatment method that does not require special skills, such as when injecting drugs. Ointments are available, easy to use. But, on the other hand, the intake of drugs in the blood is significantly reduced. The patient must understand that the ointment does not act on the spine directly through the skin. It is absorbed into the bloodstream – vessels that are located under the skin and subcutaneous tissue and acts on damaged structures like a regular drug.
Ointments and gels have an effect, but it is much less pronounced than any other form of administration. The method can be used as additional, along with tablets or injections. Therefore, do not be surprised if you expected an instant action from the ointment, but got a weak result.
Topical ointments based on diclac, ibuprofen are used. This is diclac gel. diclofenac, ketonal, indomethacin. They have anti-inflammatory effect, reduce pain, reduce swelling of tissues.
Ointments can have a warming effect. It is much more effective, since it really acts locally on the vessels located next to the spine. Finalgon, Nikoflex, capsicum – these ointments dilate blood vessels, which is accompanied by a sensation of warmth in the skin and muscles. This improves the condition, relieves discomfort and pain, restores motor activity.
Apply ointment to clean skin, it is best to do this before bedtime. Make sure that it is completely absorbed into the skin, hold the place where the preparation was applied without clothes, so that the ointment does not soak into the tissue. It is better to apply gels and creams when you are in a calm state, it is especially good to apply them before bedtime or rest.
You can make a compress based on ointment. To do this, it is applied to a layer of gauze or bandage, applied to a painful area. A layer of plastic film and warm cloth can be used on top. It is convenient to fix the compress with a scarf or neck scarf.
Physical therapy is an ally of the patient in the fight against osteochondrosis of the cervical spine. But there is one important point: gymnastics is contraindicated in acute periods of osteochondrosis. Contrary to the internal setup, that acute pain can be alleviated through exercise or warm-up. Forget about it. In the acute phase, the neck should be protected and try not to burden. Between periods of exacerbations, gymnastics can be used.
The following exercises are used to treat osteochondrosis:
- flexion and extension of the head;
- circular rotation of the head;
- pressing the chin on the palms locked into the lock. The elbows rest on the table;
- hand pressing on the frontal part of the head;
- bring the head to the chest and hold it from above with your hands on the back of the head. Press lightly on the occipital region and at the same time try to return the head to its normal position;
- hand pressure on the head from the sides.
All movements must be performed smoothly and accurately, they should not bring pain or discomfort. You can perform lying movements – raise your head from the floor, bring it to your chest, make light movements with your hands with pressure on the neck and head.
With any movements that involve pressure on the head, the head at the same time makes a standoff, as if relying on pressure. Movements should not be intermittent or jerky.
Do exercises after a light warm-up, rotational and circular movements of the neck. Exercise will easily stimulate the muscle layer and prepare the spine for gymnastics.
Do not exhaust yourself with exercises – if you feel tired, then you should stop and give your joints rest.
Massage for osteochondrosis
High-quality therapeutic massage is the best assistant to reduce unpleasant symptoms in osteochondrosis. It is important that the massage is done by a person who is trained in this and will not harm the spine. Massage must be carried out in a course, each session at the designated time. Procedures are important to take in a relaxed, relaxed state.
Massage is not performed if the patient has oncopathology, an active phase of the infectious process, pathology of the cardiovascular system, aneurysm, and hypertension.
What is the effect of massage for cervical osteochondrosis? It reduces muscle tone, relieves spasms, improves microcirculation, eliminates pain and discomfort. Also, the patient rests during a massage, exfoliates and receives benefits for the whole body.
Collar massage is the best option for osteochondrosis. It is only necessary to ensure that there is no pressure on the spine, but just muscles flexing around it. Acupressure is also used. It connects reflex points that interact with each other, resulting in relaxation of muscle tissue.
The most optimal option for the treatment of osteochondrosis at home is self-massage. It is convenient to do it yourself – firstly, the patient feels the pressure and controls it, and secondly, he feels the most problematic area and applies increased attention to it. It is necessary to gently stroke the skin, you can do it with the fingertips, palm edge. You can also capture the skin and tighten muscles – this stimulates them and improves microcirculation.
Prevention of osteochondrosis is primary – which aims to prevent the disease from occurring at all and secondary – which reduces the risk of complications and improves the patient’s condition. Preventive measures act on the spine directly and indirectly, through the general condition of the body.
Prevention of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine consists of the following components:
- good nutrition, which includes the necessary amount of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Also, it is desirable to give preference to fresh, high-quality products, without preservatives and chemical additives;
- normal drinking regimen. A sufficient amount of water maintains the balance of mineral metabolism, improves the condition of bone and cartilage;
- minimize the amount of tea and coffee in your diet, as well as alcoholic beverages;
- quit smoking. because it leads to a narrowing of arterial vessels;
- normalize body weight;
- limit the time spent on your phone, tablet or computer. Take work breaks if your activities are related to them. During the working day, try to get up from the table for any reason, take short walks, change your body position and exercise;
- limit physical activity that is aimed at the cervical spine;
- wear comfortable shoes that make your body position comfortable and comfortable;
- wear corrective devices if your doctor has recommended them. Corsets or various clips;
- pay attention to your sleep – it should be a smooth comfortable surface, and ideally – orthopedic massage.
Do not delay the treatment until later – your health depends on when the treatment was started. If you are worried about symptoms, you need to start treatment immediately so that osteochondrosis does not start and does not lead to complications.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .