Having determined the causes of knee pain, it is necessary to immediately begin treatment of pathology. Pain treatment will be most effective if you use medications at the very beginning of the development of pathology, when conservative therapy can still cope with destructive changes in the body. Otherwise, doctors have to resort to surgery and eliminate the disease exclusively by surgery.
- Urgent care
- Conservative treatment
- My knees are very sore what to do than to treat
- Pain during exercise
- Pain in children
- Flexion pain
- Knee hurts while running
- Pain at night
- Diagnosis of pain
- Treatment process
- Medication Therapy
- Healing Fitness
- Surgical treatment method
- Traditional medicine
- Treatment of the knee joint: drug and folk methods
- Why does the knee hurt?
- How to treat a knee joint
- Physiotherapy and exercise therapy
- Treatment of the knee joint with folk remedies
- Preventive measures
- We treat arthrosis of the knee at home
- How to quickly relieve pain and swelling without going to the doctor?
- Therapy of osteoarthrosis of the knee at home
- Drug therapy
- Therapeutic compresses
- Rubbing and bathing
- Joint self-massage
- Who should I contact if home treatment does not help?
- How to start treatment for knee arthrosis – doctor’s advice
- How to treat knee arthrosis
- Why joints hurt
- Three degrees of the disease are distinguished.
- How to treat arthrosis?
- Nutrition for arthrosis
- How to treat knee arthrosis
Very often, knee pain appears as a sudden attack, and people do not know what to do in such a situation. If you do not have the opportunity to see a doctor at the moment, in this case it is necessary to take all measures in order to get rid of knee pain at home as quickly as possible. Here are some tips for relieving soreness, swelling and tension in the knee:
- provide complete rest for the injured knee joint – any activity should be stopped, it is necessary to lie down for some time, and a pillow should be placed under your feet;
- when pain and swelling in the knee appear, it is recommended to use cold compresses. For this, ice is perfect, which must be wrapped in a cloth so as not to provoke frostbite. If there is no ice, you can attach any cold object from the refrigerator to the edema, for example, a pack of sour cream or mayonnaise. Application time with cold – 10–20 minutes, no more, frequency – 3-5 times a day;
- if the knee hurts from a blow, it is necessary to avoid any actions that can trigger increased swelling (hot showers, baths, hot compresses, warming up the legs);
- if after an injury two days have occurred and the pain in the knee has become much less, you can start doing exercises to restore the joint and maintain its flexibility. When restoring the knee after an impact, be sure to wrap the damaged joint with an elastic bandage or wear a knee pad. This will help not only eliminate edema, but will also contribute to the correct position of the articular parts during movement. The bandage should not be too tight so as not to impair the blood supply to the joint. If there is numbness, tingling, or pain, the dressing must be loosened;
- During pain relief, light massages are also possible, but do not massage for a long time, it’s enough 5-10 minutes several times a day to stimulate blood circulation in the area of damage and relieve pain. If during the massage the pain intensifies, it is recommended to stop the procedure;
- as soon as the pain in the knee joints completely disappears, it is advisable to spare the injured limb within a few weeks – do not get too carried away with active games, walk for a long time and endure heavy loads. All of this can contribute to the return of pain.
If the joints of the knees really hurt, for example, during a stroke or with inflammation, you can take tablets to relieve pain. As tablets for a single dose, Ibuprofen, Ketorol drugs are suitable, but when pain resumes, it can not be drowned out with painkillers. Consultation is needed with a doctor who will prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for long-term use.
Conservative treatment of joint discomfort begins primarily with the removal of pain. If a knee hurts, doctors recommend a group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – these are the most common drugs that are used for pain in any organs. Available as ointment, gel, and in tablet form. The most famous representatives:
- Nimesul >
A wide group of NSAIDs allows you to choose the right drug for the patient
The group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs provides three types of action:
- pain medication
Medications block the production of prostaglandins – triggers of the inflammatory process that appear when cartilage tissue in the knees is damaged. As a result of taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, all signs of the inflammatory process are reduced, redness and swelling go away, pain is reduced, temperature is lowered and joint functions are restored.
Among the undesirable reactions that can occur when taking these drugs are side effects from the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, with an ulcer, gastritis, some cardiac pathologies and individual intolerance, NSAIDs are not prescribed.
Treatment of pain in the knee joint is not complete without the appointment of chondroprotectors. The preparations contain the active substances glucosamine and chondroitin – the main building components of cartilage tissue. Opinions on the use of these drugs are still controversial, but doctors believe that at the early stage of treatment it is these components that can stop serious diseases such as arthritis and arthrosis. With severe joint injuries in the knee, they will not be effective.
Chondroitin and glucosamine have an anti-inflammatory effect, since they suppress prostaglandins and interleukins, but chondroprotectors are much easier to tolerate than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Among the well-known drugs that eliminate pathological processes in cartilage, it is possible to recommend:
To quickly relieve pain in the knee joint, doctors eliminate it with glucocorticoids. These are the drugs Diprospan, Kenalog, Celeston, Hydrocortisone. Some people prefer to inject drugs into the joint. Such funds received the common name “liquid prostheses.” Well help preparations Ostenil, Sinvisk, Fermatron, Dyuralan. They become substitutes for joint fluid and improve nutrition of the cartilage surface.
My knees are very sore what to do than to treat
People of different ages often ask themselves: “Why do knees hurt?” And indeed, more often arise both in young people and in old age. There can be many reasons for this. Excessive physical activity, trauma to the lower extremities, knee joints affect the components of the knee, affect the ligaments, tendons and muscles, while the blood flow in the knee is disturbed and a change in metabolism occurs. It sometimes comes to the point that the motor function of the knee joint is markedly reduced, the knee hurts when bending and flexing, and if the knee is swollen, then you should immediately consult a doctor for qualified medical help. It is he who will establish the causes, factors and advise how to treat when the knees hurt.
Any pain that affects any organ or part of the body in the human system indicates serious problems. In order to accurately diagnose and clarify why it hurts under the knee, you first need to establish the reasons. Pain in the knee joint may occur due to the following factors:
- Ever injured. The knee is very sore with dislocations, subluxations, fractures of the lower extremities and muscle sprains. The pain syndrome does not go away for a long time, a residual reaction is often felt, an inflammatory process occurs.
- Dislocation of the knee joint. If the knee is swollen, in this case we are talking about a dislocation.
- Rupture of the meniscus of the knee joint. Such a diagnosis is most often made to athletes, but an ordinary person is not safe from it. Why does the knee hurt when bending in this case? The meniscus consists of a round cartilage that is located in the knee joint. With a lack of minerals, sharp bending of the limb, it tends to be damaged.
- Ligament damage. With severe bruises and falls, the ligaments can break – this will be a source of pain under the knee behind.
- Arthrosis and arthritis. A common disease in people after 50 years. The World Health Organization estimated that more than half of older people suffer from this disease. If the disease is not diagnosed in time, motor functions are completely lost and it becomes difficult for a person to walk.
- Gout If the legs below the knees hurt, then we are talking about a large amount of uric acid in the body.
The above reasons are the main ones for pain in the knee joint. It is also worth considering the causes of pain in pregnant women. Indeed, during this wonderful period, women have an increase in the load on the whole body, pressure on the organs rises. Reasons may include:
- Weight gain. The fetus grows in the womb, amniotic fluid, which also has its own weight, is also an important factor.
- The manifestation of edema. Why do legs below the knees hurt? In the body of a pregnant woman, fluid is retained, this happens when the excretory system does not work well. Legs can swell over the entire length, special emphasis is placed on the knees, under the knees of the area.
The condition is relieved after the birth of the baby. Excess fluid to leave, the woman gradually begins to lose weight, which gained during pregnancy.
Pain during exercise
Athletes and people who play sports for themselves often face a situation where their knees hurt and wonder what to do at such a moment. As a rule, this happens due to excessive physical exertion, when a person does not know the measures and uses his body to wear out, but sometimes when exercises, such as squats, especially with loads, are performed incorrectly. The knee joint is deformed, erased, because of this, pain occurs.
Pain in children
Pain in the knee joint in children mainly occurs from falls, bruises, and hyperactivity. A child at a young age is not aware of his actions, so strokes accompany him for the first few years. Hematomas occur, knees swell, the baby often starts to act up. In such a situation, the main thing is to prevent fractures and dislocations, since the osteoarticular system is still being formed.
These types of pain respond poorly to medications and physiotherapy. Patients at this moment suspect arthritis and the only salvation is the surgical way to solve the problem. One of the common causes is Koenig’s disease – a condyle malfunction, an exfoliation of cartilage tissue. The knee is swollen and sore, what to treat in this case? Do exercises according to the methodology that Sergey Bubnovsky came up with. It can be downloaded free of charge on the Internet, it is freely available. He advises how to treat such a clinical picture and rid himself of unpleasant symptoms, extend the life of his joint.
Knee hurts while running
A person may experience pain during running: light or fast, during and after the process. For overweight people this is a difficult problem. Jogging is a cardio during which weight drops off well, but with obesity a huge load goes just to the lower limbs, back and front of the knee. Doctors say that running, deep squats should generally be excluded from sports exercises.
Pain at night
If the knee is swollen and hurts at night, what is the treatment in this case? Night pain occurs due to prolonged stress during the whole day, wearing uncomfortable shoes. Veins appear on the legs, blood stasis occurs, blood flow is disturbed. Therefore, after arriving home, it is recommended to remain calm.
Diagnosis of pain
It is not recommended to engage in treatment yourself, first of all, you should consult a doctor. An experienced and qualified doctor will conduct diagnostic tests, make a clear diagnosis and prescribe the right treatment that will be effective and efficient. Early diagnosis always gives a positive result.
The main types of research:
- Blood and urine tests (biochemical and general).
- Analysis for rheumatic tests. This type of analysis can find out if there is an inflammatory process in the body, as well as rheumatic and autoimmune diseases.
- X-ray of the knee joint. Able to show the presence of inflammatory processes, processes of destruction of bone and cartilage.
- Magnetic resonance imaging is performed in many diseases in which it is not possible to stop the cause and the factor that led to the development of pain.
These are the main types of diagnostic studies that help treatment physicians.
After the manipulations, you can begin the treatment process. It consists of the following components:
- Drug therapy or treatment with folk remedies.
- Healing Fitness.
- Surgical treatment method.
- Means of traditional medicine.
Such procedures are applied comprehensively, in this case the effect occurs almost instantly.
It is aimed at human internal systems. Medicines can eliminate the inflammatory process, strengthen tissues and muscles, and relieve pain.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs (Ketoprofen, Ibuprofen). They are non-steroidal, aimed at relieving pain and the inflammatory process. Only a doctor can prescribe this drug and prescribe the appropriate dosage, otherwise side effects may occur.
- Chondroprotectors. They protect the cartilage tissue and help its new formation, if it has collapsed. Use – Don, Arthra, Zinaxin. The procedure is performed intravenously or intramuscularly, depending on how the patient tolerates the drug.
- Injection into the joint. An injection is made inside the knee into the synovial fluid. It is capable of nourishing cartilage with its active substances and preventing them from collapsing. In many cases, these hormones are, for example, Celeston, Phlosterone, Kenagol. Injections give a quick result and few side effects than pills.
- The use of hyalouranic acid, which is part of many tissues, also helps relieve inflammation, improve blood flow, and saturate synovial fluid. An injection is made inside the patella, also into the synovial fluid. It is considered harmless and improves joint mobility.
- The use of ointments, gels – Fastum-gel, menovazin, Voltaren-gel. They are rubbed directly into the knee joint and the area around it, relieve pain, but the amount of active substance that penetrates inside is very small, so the effect does not last long.
- Compresses from Dimexidum.
p, blockquote 17,0,0,1,0 ->
The above drugs are available in pharmacies in the public domain and they have proven themselves in the treatment of knee pain.
In this case, Sergey Bubnovsky and his treatment technique will come to the rescue. He pays enough attention to pains in the knee and puts exercises to the forefront, giving drugs a secondary role. Bubnovsky advises when knees hurt and what to do in this case.
The exercises that Sergey Bubnovsky developed (they are performed using a rubber shock absorber):
- Starting position – lying on your back. Pulling the legs to the chest with a shock absorber.
- Lying on your back, take your legs to the sides.
- Using a rubber shock absorber, fix it on the lower leg and bend the leg at the knee so that the heel touches the buttocks.
This is not a complete list of exercises, there are a lot of them and can be found on the Internet. In addition, there is a famous book by the author: “My knees hurt: what should I do?”
Surgical treatment method
It is used in case of meniscus damage and when the situation is already hopeless. Basically, such operations are performed in elderly people. There are cases of knee replacement completely. Only then does a person feel relief and forget forever about his problem.
Traditional medicine in complex therapy always gives a positive effect, in addition, there are a lot of prescription options. Here is some of them:
- Spread knee with buckwheat honey and create the effect of a bath, that is, wrap a warm woolen shawl. Leave this compress overnight, rinse with water in the morning.
- Put fat on the knee and bandage it with a bandage. Leave for the night.
- Freshly torn burdock in a day treatment to keep on your knees.
Correctly distributing physical activity, avoiding injuries and adhering to proper nutrition, the body will never encounter such an ailment.
Treatment of the knee joint: drug and folk methods
Every second inhabitant of our planet experienced painful sensations in his knees at least once in his life, regardless of age and occupation. Sick knee joints cause a lot of inconvenience in everyday life. The impossibility of normal movement, stiffness of movements, a limp gait deprive the patient of the joy of free movement.
Proper and timely treatment will help rid the joints of the pathology and restore damaged tissue at the cellular level. To achieve a speedy recovery result, it is necessary to correctly establish the disease, the result of which is pain in the knee joint.
Why does the knee hurt?
Contacting a qualified orthopedist guarantees a diagnosis and an explanation of the cause of this symptom.
Doctors say that pain can occur due to destruction of joint tissues during trauma, degenerative changes or inflammatory processes. The purpose of treatment for the knee joint directly depends on the cause and severity of the pathology.
- traumatic injuries of various nature: bruises, dislocations, sprains, fractures;
- arthrosis of the knee joint – destructive changes in articular tissues, causing deformation and loss of functionality;
- arthritis – inflammatory processes of an acute and chronic nature;
- destructive processes with age-related changes;
- bursitis – inflammation of the synovial bag;
- increased load on the knees in the presence of excess weight and metabolic disorders in the body;
- pathologies of autoimmune origin;
- congenital changes in the structure of the joint;
- Osgood-Spatter disease – the appearance of a painful swelling in the patella, appears in adolescents who are actively involved in sports during the hormonal adjustment of the body, most often the treatment of the knee joint is not required, the pathology passes independently;
- osteomyelitis – an infectious lesion of Staphylococcus aureus joint, causing severe general intoxication of the patient;
- dissecting osteochondritis – destruction of the cartilage with subsequent displacement of the separated part into the joint cavity;
- neurological diseases associated with nerve infringement;
- tumorous growths.
Differentiate the pathology and choose an individual treatment of the knee joint for the patient can be a medical specialist involved in the treatment of joints. Self-administration of analgesics briefly eliminates pain, but does not have a therapeutic effect on the disease. In addition, neglected forms can lead to sad consequences: loss of joint mobility, the need for surgical intervention and complex rehabilitation measures.
How to treat a knee joint
With the appearance of systematic pain in the knee, it is necessary to see a doctor as soon as possible. Uncomplicated forms of diseases that can cause a similar symptom are treated successfully until the knee functions are fully restored.
In severe cases, for example, with a meniscus rupture, even a slight delay will lead to sad consequences, up to disability.
The treatment of the knee with traditional methods using drugs is determined by the attending physician: these can be oral preparations, intramuscular and intraarticular injections, ointments and gels for topical application.
Therapeutic measures for the treatment of the knee joint have a comprehensive solution:
- symptomatic elimination of pain;
- elimination of the cause of the pathology;
- rehabilitation therapy.
The appointment of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclofenac, Movalis, Indomethacin, Ketoprofen, Meloxicam) is important for the relief of pain and possible inflammatory reactions. They can be used both in the form of ointments for external use, and in injection form. The drug is determined directly by the doctor for a specific case, the use of NSAIDs without prescription can be dangerous due to the large number of side effects.
In parallel with the use of anesthetics, the orthopedist selects drugs that will eliminate the cause of the onset of pain:
- in case of injuries, a brace or plaster cast is applied, orthopedic regimen and a reduction in motor activity for recovery are recommended;
- with arthritis, bursitis – anti-inflammatory drugs (Indovazin, Amelotex);
- arthrosis, deforming changes – drugs that can restore damaged tissues (Hyastat, Dyrolan, Ostenil);
- weight loss, diet therapy;
- pathogen suppression in infectious lesions
- surgical treatment for neoplasms.
After removing the acute period of the pathology, it is imperative to take measures to restore the cells and functions of the knee joint.
Chondoprotectors (Donna, Alflutop, Fermatron) – a pharmacological group of drugs that can restore damaged joint tissues.
Physiotherapy and exercise therapy
Physiotherapeutic procedures play an important role for the fastest elimination of pain in the knees. Magnetotherapy, the use of ultrasound, hydrogen sulfide and radon baths, the appointment of infrared radiation reduces the need for the appointment of numerous pharmacological preparations.
Physiotherapy exercises is a set of exercises aimed at restoring the full motor activity of the knee. Therapeutic exercises should be carried out dosed under the supervision of a doctor, and the physiotherapist is involved in the preparation of the treatment program, taking into account the characteristics of a particular case.
Treatment of the knee joint with folk remedies
For many centuries, traditional healers have been successfully treating joints, including the knee. Safe natural remedies are used as an addition to the main, but in no case replace it. In addition, alternative recipes can be used only after the approval of the attending doctor.
Tincture of honey on alcohol
For a long time honey has been known for its healing properties. An analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect is exerted by honey rubbing with regular use. The only contraindication to the use of honey for the treatment of knee is the possibility of allergic reactions.
To prepare the tincture, you need to place two teaspoons of honey and ten milliliters of medical alcohol in a container. Keep the resulting mixture in a water bath until completely dissolved. Apply the cooled solution to the knee area in the morning and in the evening, to enhance the reaction, you can create a compress effect with a food film.
Fresh onions must be crushed to a mushy state and mixed with a little sugar. Form the resulting mixture in the form of cakes with a height of one and a half centimeters and attach to the sore joint for twelve hours. Onions will anesthetize the knee and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Grinding from medical bile
Doctors recommend rubbing heated medical bile into a painful joint to reduce pain. An inexpensive but effective remedy can be bought at a pharmacy without a doctor’s prescription. In addition to the analgesic effect, bile improves blood circulation and stops the destruction of tissues in the joint.
To prevent the occurrence of pain in the knee, it is necessary to observe simple rules of prevention:
- seek medical attention in a timely manner when symptoms of pathological processes in the joint appear;
- monitor your own weight;
- Healthy food;
- to live an active lifestyle;
- do sport;
- use orthopedic bandages to prevent injuries;
- Do not self-medicate.
We treat arthrosis of the knee at home
The treatment of knee arthrosis at home is a long and systemic process. In addition to taking medications, it is necessary to organize proper nutrition, regularly engage in therapeutic exercises, do self-massage and use funds from the arsenal of traditional medicine.
How to quickly relieve pain and swelling without going to the doctor?
If there is no way to immediately consult a doctor, you can take some emergency measures at home.
To relieve pain, you can take 1-2 tablets of Ketoprofen or Diclofenac.
- A good analgesic property has a tincture of golden mustache. Those who suffer from arthrosis of the knee joint are advised to insist on fresh parts of the stem and leaves of this plant on vodka (13-15 pcs. Per 0,5 l of alcohol, insist 2 weeks) and always keep the remedy on hand. For pain in the knee, rub the product with massaging movements.
- A tincture of dandelion leaf vodka has a similar analgesic effect.
- Severe pain and swelling will help eliminate the compress with ice (you can attach any item chilled in the refrigerator).
- A simple and affordable ambulance is a decoction of onions. It is believed that the beneficial properties of this vegetable help relieve pain and swelling. Peel 2 large onions and cook together with husks in 1 liter of water. Take 0,5 cups before meals until the desired effect is achieved and for preventive purposes.
- A compress from a fresh cabbage leaf will quickly help eliminate pain and swelling. It needs to be slightly kneaded so that the juice comes out and put on a sore spot until the condition is relieved. Cover with a warm cloth.
- A warming and analgesic effect has a simple ointment from mustard and honey, taken in equal amounts, and 1 chicken egg. With severe pain, it is applied to the knee and covered with a clean cloth and cling film. Hold for 20-25 minutes, avo >
Therapy of osteoarthrosis of the knee at home
At home, you can use both medications (it is advisable that they be prescribed by a doctor), and apply traditional medicine methods – compresses, rubbing, therapeutic baths. Self-massage and therapeutic exercises have a good effect in the treatment of gonarthrosis.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
For the treatment of arthrosis, it is recommended to take glucocorticosteroids – Hydrocortisone, Betamethasone, Triamcinolone. Assign them to a specialist.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen possess good analgesic properties. Dosage forms such as tablets and ointments can be used.
To protect the cartilage of the knee joint, chondroprotectors – Teraflex, Structum are used. Take them in long courses.
It is advisable to take vitamin complexes, for example, Calcium D3 Nycomed, Complivit.
For pain and puffiness, compresses that can be applied daily have a good effect. A lotion with Dimexide, Diclofenac and Novocain has warming and analgesic properties. It is applied in a warm form for 25-30 minutes.
Often they use burdock and honey for a compress. A swollen knee is smeared with a thin layer of honey mixed with salt, covered with a leaf of a plant and wrapped overnight.
To relieve pain, cold treatment is applied – ice is applied to the knee, wrapped in several layers of gauze. Hold such a compress until the condition is relieved.
Rubbing and bathing
To relieve pain and swelling of the knee will help rubbing the interior fat. It is drowned over a slow fire, at this time a decoction of a maternity baguette, birch buds, lilac flowers, a medicinal donut, root maria taken in equal amounts is prepared. The broth is mixed with fat and rub the knees.
At night, the joints are rubbed with a mixture of camphor, vodka, turpentine and vegetable oil.
Herbal baths have a good effect. For cooking, hay dust, pine and spruce needles, and onion husks are often used. The duration of the procedure is 15-20 minutes with a frequency of 2-3 times a week.
For the effective treatment of gonarthrosis, massage is often used, which can be done independently. The procedure helps increase blood circulation in a painful joint, helps relieve swelling and increase the flow of nutrients. Regular self-massage can help restore lost motor functions.
Depending on the degree of the disease, the procedure begins to be performed from the leg on which the pain syndrome is less pronounced.
Before the procedure, you should not eat 1-1,5 hours, it is advisable not to smoke. Massage is done while sitting, under a sore knee you need to put a small tight roller. To enhance the effect, you can use various ointments and home rubbing.
Some experts recommend doing self-massage while sitting in the bath. In this case, for grinding, you can use hard sponges, washcloths, terry towels. A strong shower jet also massages the skin and internal tissues of the knee joint well.
Self-massage with arthrosis of the knee node provides for different effects:
- stroking (flat, plucked);
- grinding (rectilinear, circular and spiral movements);
- kneading (pressing, shifting, stretching);
- finger shower (striking);
The fingers of both hands need to be stroking the longitudinal and transverse movements first to massage the front surface of the thigh, starting from the patella and moving up.
Then, with deep jerky movements, massage the kneecap until it is slightly reddened.
After they proceed to rubbing the side surfaces of the joint, acting with the fingers and the bases of the hands. Massage should be deep, but not deliver strong pain.
Then, rubbing in different directions of the tendon of the quadriceps femoris, the own ligament of the patella and the lateral ligaments (tibial and fibular muscles) is carried out using finger pads.
Before moving on to the next area of massage, you need to perform a few simple exercises – bend and unbend the knee, turn the lower legs in and out, while the leg is bent at the knee joint.
Self-massage should be completed by shifting the patella in different directions 3-5 times in each direction.
After the procedure, you need to shake the leg, keeping it on weight. Vibrating movements will help get rid of static stress in a sick limb.
Similarly, you need to massage the second leg.
The treatment procedure is carried out for 15 minutes on average 4 times a week, sometimes a two-time 10-minute self-massage is enough to achieve a positive result.
In the initial stages of the development of the disease, a course of physiotherapy exercises is of great benefit. The specialist will select the necessary exercises that are aimed at strengthening the muscles and joints of sore feet.
Classes can be carried out 2-3 times a week, while they should not bring pain, cause discomfort.
- slowly bend and unbend your knees;
- raise legs bent at the knees, lying on the stomach;
- raise legs straightened at the knees at a right angle, their breeding and mixing;
- “Bicycle” lying on your back;
- bending to straightened legs from a prone position.
In the treatment and prevention of DOA (deforming osteoarthrosis of the knee joint), nutrition is of great importance.
The diet should be designed to normalize weight, because the main causes of the disease include overweight, leading to deformation of the cartilage and joints.
The menu should include: dairy and sour-milk products, meat and fish, animal fats and vegetable oil. Strengthening of cartilage tissue is facilitated by aspic, aspic, Armenian khash. In addition to animal proteins, vegetable ones found in buckwheat, lentils, and beans are also recommended.
Who should I contact if home treatment does not help?
If the methods of home therapy have not yielded results, it is necessary to consult a therapist.
Osteoarthritis is treated by rheumatologists. They use drug therapy, intraarticular injections, physiotherapy, massage, exercise therapy.
In difficult cases, it is advisable to consult a traumatologist orthopedist, who can prescribe an operation if necessary. He can solve the issue of arthroplasty.
You can not neglect medical care, since untreated arthrosis of the knee joint can lead to serious health consequences.
How to start treatment for knee arthrosis – doctor’s advice
Hello dear readers.
In a previous article, we found out the reasons why joints hurt. We continue this topic today. Osteoarthrosis is a disease of the joints, accompanied by the destruction of the cartilage that covers the bones connecting in the joint, which causes pain and impaired joint function.
Any of them can be amazed, but most often the most loaded ones, the knee ones, suffer. Today we will consider the treatment of knee arthrosis.
How to treat knee arthrosis
Normally, cartilage cells produce a protein fluid that plays a cushioning and nourishing role. Thanks to her, the joint is maintained in working condition. For a reason unknown so far, these cells cease to cope with their function. Therefore, the cartilage becomes soft, loose and cracking.
The load on the bones of the joint becomes uneven. In congested places, blood circulation is disturbed, which not only helps to accelerate the destruction of cartilage, but also damages the underlying bone. It is rebuilt, cysts and tissue growths are formed in it, the configuration of the joint is disturbed.
In places of cracks and destruction, inflammation develops, which exacerbates pain and accelerates destructive processes.
This explains all the symptoms of arthrosis of the joint.
Why joints hurt
The first thing that starts to bother is pain. It is of a mechanical nature, that is, it occurs during movement, passes after rest. Especially great is the intensity of unpleasant sensations during the descent, while the rise and movement on a flat surface do not cause them. Starting pains may also be disturbing, when at the beginning of the walk the pain is more intense than during its continuation.
They arise due to the fact that the “dust” from the destroyed cartilage rubs between the surfaces, and during walking is shifted away from the working areas. Sometimes the pain becomes so intense that it is impossible to move a foot. The reason is a piece of cartilage stuck between the articular surfaces. Gradually, it falls out and sensations pass.
With the addition of inflammation, the pain becomes constant, aching. The joint swells, blushes, morning stiffness appears, when it is necessary to disperse, so that the movements return to normal.
Three degrees of the disease are distinguished.
- Osteoarthritis of the 1st degree is the easiest of them. It begins gradually, very slowly, so it is difficult to name the time of the appearance of the first signs. Cartilage changes are minor, manifested by pain when walking up the stairs. Sometimes the joint begins to whine constantly and swells a little, but everything goes away on its own usually does not attract much attention.
- Osteoarthritis of the 2nd degree is manifested by an increase in the intensity and duration of pain, you have to take drugs to get rid of it. Inflammation is already joining, so morning stiffness occurs, the joint increases in size. Some pay attention to the crunch when moving.
- Osteoarthritis of the 3rd degree is accompanied by the maximum severity of all symptoms. The pain disturbs not only when walking, but also at rest. The joint is enlarged, deformed, the range of motion is narrowed.
How to treat arthrosis?
At the first suspicion of joint disease, you need to go to the therapist and do all the necessary tests to be sure of the diagnosis and stage of the disease. Only in this case will the treatment be as effective as possible.
If the doctor is unavailable or there is no money or time for examinations, you will have to treat arthrosis at home.
The first step is to reduce the load on the damaged joint, that is, get rid of excess weight and exclude running, long walks and heavy lifting from the exercise. Important is a lifestyle change that begins with proper nutrition.
Nutrition for arthrosis
- Diet for arthrosis should, on the one hand, contribute to weight loss, and on the other hand, supply the body with all the substances. Therefore, in no case should you resort to starvation or weighty teas that remove “toxins” from the body, and along with them useful substances.
- A special diet is not drawn up, but you can independently choose your diet based on their correct premises.
- Proteins are an important building block, so they should be enough. You must include in your diet low-fat fish and meat, milk and dairy products, legumes (soybeans, lentils).
- Fats are part of cell membranes, many hormones, so in no case can they be excluded from nutrition. Therefore, the menu must necessarily contain butter or vegetable oil, fish oil.
- Carbohydrates are a source of energy. So that they do not bring trouble, laying on the sides, you need to give preference to the slow ones that are found in fruits.
- Orange and pomegranate juices reduce the intensity of inflammation, so a glass of one or the other per day will improve the situation.
- In order for food to be better absorbed, it must be steamed or baked.
- Mayonnaise, fast food, fatty meat, refined oil, canned food and flavor enhancers (glutamate in chips, instant noodles, bouillon cubes) should be excluded from the diet. They stimulate appetite and make you eat more than you need.
Diet can relieve symptoms, but how can I treat arthrosis of the knee?
How to treat knee arthrosis
Ambulance drugs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory: nimesulide, movalis, celebrex, diclofenac and others. You should avoid taking indomethacin, as it worsens the condition of the cartilage. They are drunk with a short course of 3-5 days for pain. Exceed it is not worth it, as they adversely affect the liver and stomach.
Edema and redness remove ointments such as voltaren, nimesulide and others, the contents of the same non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.
If there is no inflammation, but the aching pain in the knee is still worrying, you can use warming ointments: capsicum, menovazin, nikoflex.
Good pain relieves compresses with dimexide or bischofite.
However, all of these drugs fight only the symptoms, but do not affect the condition of the cartilage.
Medicines that affect the joint itself are derivatives of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. They are combined under the name “chondroprotectors.” One of the best medicines with proven clinical research activity is Arthra. Piaskledin also showed himself well. There are several more drugs on the market: Don, Structum, Elbona and some others.
It is proved that glucosamine in a dosage of 1000-1500 mg and chondroitin sulfate 1000 mg per day contribute to the regeneration of cartilage and slow down the course of the disease.
Drugs are contraindicated in phenylketonuria. Individually may cause allergic reactions. Otherwise, there are practically no side effects. Sometimes, very rarely, there are discomfort in the abdomen, bloating, headaches, dizziness.
Do not wait, as if they will help immediately. And after the first week the effect will not be noticeable. You need to set yourself up for a long daily (at least three months) intake of the drug. This slows down the course of the disease, but does not stop forever, so the courses will have to be repeated several times.
Can arthrosis be cured? Unfortunately, he is a chronic disease, that is, having happened once, he will remain with his “master” forever. However, if you leave it unattended, you can simply lose your knee. At this stage, drugs will not help at all, it remains only to replace it with a prosthesis. Attentiveness to your health will maintain leg mobility for as long as possible.
As soon as the necessary time appears, you need to make an appointment with a doctor, since a diagnosis made by yourself may be erroneous, which means that all treatment will be in vain.