- Intercostal neuralgia: symptoms on the left s >
- Symptoms of Neuralgia
- Features of symptoms in pregnant women
- Signs in children
- Can heart pain be distinguished from neuralgia?
- Causes of Neuralgia
- Therapies for Neuralgia
- Folk remedies for therapy
- Thoracic sciatica or intercostal neuralgia on the left: symptoms and methods of eliminating acute pain
- Causes of development and etiology of the disease
- clinical picture
- Effective treatments
- Preventive recommendations
- Intercostal neuralgia: recommendations of doctors for the treatment of chest neuralgia
- What is intercostal neuralgia
- Neuralgia on the left side of the thoracic region
- Neuralgia on the right under the ribs
- Symptoms of Chest Neuralgia
- Diagnosis of breast neuralgia
- Intercostal Neuralgia Treatment
- Manual therapy
- How to treat intercostal neuralgia on the left?
- Characteristics of the disease
- Symptomatology of the disease
- Diagnosis of the disease
- Neuralgia treatment
Intercostal neuralgia: symptoms on the left s >
Unpleasant symptoms that occur in the heart area always cause discomfort to people and scare. Intercostal neuralgia, symptoms on the left, in the area of the heart, in which appear in 100% of cases, indicates some problems in the body.
However, pathology is rarely associated directly with diseases of the cardiovascular system. If neuralgia has long become a chronic disease that occurs regularly, each patient should know how to distinguish its symptoms from true heart pathologies.
Symptoms of Neuralgia
The most common symptom of neuralgia is pain in the left or right intercostal region, as well as in the area of the heart. In 1-5% of cases, bilateral pathology occurs. The pain can pass from front to back, giving back to the shoulder blade, located above or below the area of the heart. Also, pathology is characterized by signs:
- tingling from the sore side on the left, as well as directly in the area of the heart, less often on the right side;
- numbness of the skin, or increased sensitivity;
- the skin turns red, there is a feeling of heat or cold;
- it is difficult for the patient to breathe, with coughing, symptoms intensify.
You can confuse the signs of intercostal neuralgia with serious illnesses, so for a differential diagnosis it is better to consult a doctor.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
Features of symptoms in pregnant women
The body of a pregnant woman does not work at all as usual, and many symptoms of diseases are blurry, incorrectly interpreted.
Intercostal neuralgia in this condition may result from compression of the nerve roots by organs. Because of this, symptoms occur not only in the area of the heart:
- acute pain can be in any zone on the left, less often on the right;
- symptoms are often given to the stomach and heart, scapula;
- the longer the term, the stronger the signs appear, after delivery they almost completely disappear.
Sometimes inactive viruses wake up during pregnancy. Herpes zoster caused by herpes is one of them. It is characterized by the presence of vesicles on the skin with subsequent formation of ulcers.
Signs in children
Intercostal neuralgia develops in childhood, especially when the baby is improperly carried in her arms. However, up to 3 years, the child cannot correctly identify the symptoms. Parents can recognize them:
the child complains of pain in the abdomen, sternum, or on the s >
It should be remembered that with intercostal neuralgia, the pain is especially severe during movement, and when at rest it quickly subsides.
Can heart pain be distinguished from neuralgia?
There are many ways to distinguish the pain on the left from a heart attack.
|If symptoms occur on the left, then the pain will intensify with inhalation and exhalation, as well as when trying to change the pose. It hurts a lot if they start to feel the ribs.||With heart lesions, symptoms persist constantly: in a standing, lying position.|
|Pain sensations encircle the upper body: shoulders, chest, rib area, shoulder blades. The pain persists for a long time.||Heart pains are given in the left hand and persist in the sternum, in the center. Discomfort lasts no longer than 15-16 minutes.|
|Sedatives, painkillers, NSAIDs help.||The pain goes away from nitroglycerin.|
|The pulse remains in a normal state, pressure rarely changes.||The pulse can increase or decrease, the pressure rises or falls sharply, depending on the concomitant heart disease.|
But you can not ignore the characteristics of the body of individual patients. Some heart diseases are accompanied by increased pain on the left with movement or inhalation. To accurately determine the disease that causes the unpleasant symptoms, you must consult a doctor.
If symptoms are given under the ribs or lower back, it is necessary to separate from the intercostal neuralgia disorders in the digestive and urinary system. Also, pathology is sometimes confused with lung diseases – pneumonia and pleurisy.
Causes of Neuralgia
A symptom such as intercostal neuralgia accompanies various diseases. It is impossible to consider a violation as an independent pathology. The process develops under the influence of the following factors:
- Pinched spinal nerve in the sternum. The main causes of pathology are protrusion, osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernia.
- The nerve is in a constantly irritated state, muscles between the ribs become inflamed. Deviation may occur due to stress, trauma or increased physical exertion. Sometimes it causes a mechanism of hypothermia or infection.
- Hormonal changes that trigger pathological processes in cells. This is observed with menopause, during pregnancy.
- Immaturity of the ligamentous apparatus. This reason becomes a factor of unpleasant symptoms in the region of the heart with intercostal neuralgia only in children, when the bones are actively developing, but the ligaments behind them do not have time.
Such processes as tumors in the spinal cord, or the constant exposure of chemicals to the body can cause a deviation. Another reason is diseases of the muscular and skeletal system, including multiple sclerosis and destruction of the myelin sheaths of nerves.
Important! Diabetes mellitus is one of the common causes of intercostal neuralgia associated with metabolic disorders and endocrine changes.
They lead to a violation of the trauma of the spine, sternum, ribs. Symptoms may also appear with constant muscular tension.
Therapies for Neuralgia
In order for the treatment of intercostal neuralgia in the heart to be correct and effective, different methods must be used. An integrated approach to drug therapy is the basis of treatment. Here’s what you need to observe and take with a pathology located on the left or right side of the sternum:
- it is necessary to observe bed rest for 2-4 days, so as not to provoke inflammation;
- sleep on an orthopedic pillow and hard mattress so that there are no relapses;
- to eliminate pain, NSAIDs based on ibuprofen or diclofenac, Movalis, Meloxicam are taken, these drugs also eliminate inflammation;
- use muscle relaxants to eliminate pinched nerves – “Sirdalud” or “Midokalm”;
- B vitamins are needed to restore muscle activity, nerve endings and immunity.
In severe cases, injections are prescribed when the nerve is pinched in the heart. Most often they use painkillers: Movalis, Ketanol, Milgamma, Novocain, Analgin.
Advice! Warming ointments help in the treatment of neuralgia with nerve damage in the heart area or slightly lower on the left side.
Gels based on snake venom “Viprosal” and “Viratoks” work very well. In addition to drugs with poison, Voltaren, Dikloran, Ketanov, and Flexen are used to eliminate the symptoms.
If intercostal neuralgia gives in the heart, but its cause comes from disturbances in the structure and functioning of the spine, joints, then physiotherapeutic procedures are prescribed:
- therapeutic massage using ointments;
- osteopathy – effects on the skeleton to improve blood circulation, lymph outflow;
- Shiatsu – Japanese massage, which affects biological points;
- Exercise therapy and gymnastics on simulators with a trainer.
Be sure to use an orthopedic mattress for spinal damage.
Folk remedies for therapy
To combat intercostal pathology, you can use traditional medicine. They are taken orally in the form of juices and decoctions, or compresses and ointments are made. It is necessary to discuss with the doctor the possibility of using prescriptions:
- black radish juice, salt solution from 0,5 l of water and 2 tbsp. l., juice of potatoes and onions 1 to 1 is used in the form of compresses;
- a decoction of chamomile is applied to the damaged area and taken orally by prescription;
- for grinding use tincture on birch buds (0,5 l of vodka per 200 g).
A sedentary lifestyle is one of the reasons for the development of diseases of the musculoskeletal system after 25 years in 45% of people. Therefore, the main way to prevent intercostal neuralgia and symptoms such as pain on the left or in the area of the heart during its development is moderate physical activity.
Advice! The patient should protect himself from hypothermia, treat hormonal and infectious diseases on time, and also prevent heavy lifting in jerks.
It is important to observe the regime of work and rest, a sufficient amount of time to sleep and eat right. Alcohol, smoking and other bad habits, including overeating, provoke the development of neuralgia. It is useful for prophylaxis to take multivitamin preparations.
Thoracic sciatica or intercostal neuralgia on the left: symptoms and methods of eliminating acute pain
Intercostal neuralgia (thoracic sciatica) is a pathological process that is characterized by pinching of the intercostal nerve, the appearance of acute pain syndrome. The main danger of the disease – it can mimic the symptoms of other diseases, including life-threatening ones, for example, myocardial infarction. Therefore, it is important if you experience discomfort immediately visit a doctor to find out the cause of discomfort.
The material is devoted to intercostal neuralgia on the left. The symptoms of thoracic radiculitis are different from different sides, it is important to be able to distinguish the signs of intercostal neuralgia from the clinical picture of other diseases. If a pathological process is detected, begin adequate and timely therapy, taking into account the recommendations of the doctor.
Causes of development and etiology of the disease
Intercostal neuralgia (ICD code 10 – M79.2) is not an independent disease, in fact, the pathological process is a complication of another disease. In the human body there are twelve pairs of ribs, all the nerves passing in this place are the anatomical extension of the pectoralis, which leave the spinal cord. Nerve endings pass in the thickness of each intercostal space on both sides.
Depending on which elements of the nerve fibers are damaged, the patient experiences different symptoms. An important role is played by the localization of the pathological process. To find out the exact cause of the appearance of intercostal neuralgia on the left, to assess the degree of damage to the nerve endings the doctor will help, after conducting a series of tests.
Thoracic sciatica develops against the background of the following negative factors:
- the course of osteochondrosis, the presence of complications that provoke pinched nerve endings;
- advanced kyphosis, ankylosing spondylitis, spondylosis;
- tumor processes in the spine;
- severe poisoning of various etiologies;
- hormonal disorders during menopause in the fair sex or the presence of endocrine diseases;
- diseases with an allergic etiology;
- ailments associated with damage to the nervous system (multiple sclerosis, polyradiculoneuritis);
- against the background of the body’s response to irritation in the nerve columns in diseases of the internal organs;
- after transferring shingles in the chest area;
- heavy physical exertion, improper weight lifting, traumatic injuries of the spine in the chest area or ribs.
Learn about the characteristic symptoms and effective treatments for chondrosis of the thoracic spine.
Read about vertebral cervicalgia of the cervical spine and how to treat the disease at this address.
Causes of intercostal neuralgia on the left can be triggered by negative factors:
- protracted stress; mental disorders;
- alcohol abuse (ethyl alcohol dramatically negatively affects the nervous system);
- infection attachment;
- deficiency in the body of B vitamins (often observed with problems with the gastrointestinal tract);
- wearing uncomfortable underwear (applies to women).
In most cases, the pathological process on the left side is formed against the background of a combination of several negative factors. Only the elimination of the root cause of discomfort will help get rid of discomfort. Exposure only to the symptoms will give a quick but short-term positive effect.
Refuse self-medication, because the symptoms of left-sided thoracalgia are similar to the mass of other ailments, it is impossible to make a correct diagnosis at home.
In the human body there are twelve pairs of ribs, pinching of the nerve roots leads to the appearance of symptoms on the side where the pathological process is observed. Left-sided neuralgia is manifested by unilateral signs in the spaces between the ribs. Pain sensations are of varying severity, can spread to the heart muscle, left hypochondrium, side, chest.
The following signs of intercostal neuralgia will help distinguish thoracalgia on the left side from other diseases:
- discomfort intensifies when trying to take a deep breath, during coughing, sneezing;
- acute pain occurs during physical exertion;
- pain can affect the spine;
- discomfort has a girdle character, so pains are felt not only in the area of localization of the pinched nerve, but also in front, behind the chest;
- the pain itself is piercing, burning in nature, can accompany the patient for several hours or two days;
- when changing position, discomfort intensifies, only after finding the correct forced position, does the discomfort subside;
- when taking Validol, other drugs for the treatment of the cardiovascular system, unpleasant symptoms do not subside. Pain is relieved by the use of analgesics;
- in the affected area, the sensitivity of the skin is lost, an increase in sweating, numbness of certain areas of the left hand, even fingers are noted (it all depends on which particular nerve is affected);
- with intercostal neuralgia, the pains are long-lasting, cardiovascular pathologies are characterized by a short-term pain attack.
Doctor’s consultation is the most important and first stage in cases of suspected chest radiculitis. At a specialist appointment, the doctor examines the area of localization of pain, assesses muscle tone, sensitivity changes, the degree of damage to nerve endings.
The following methods are used as diagnostic tests for left-side thoracalgia:
- radiography. It allows to find out the condition of bone tissue, the presence of traumatic injuries, the presence and size of osteophytes, bone displacement, other pathological changes that can cause the development of thoracalgia;
- CT, MRI. Gives an assessment of the condition of nearby tissues that are located next to damaged nerves. The techniques make it possible to determine the degree of damage not only to bone, but also to soft structures, which is important when choosing a treatment technique;
- myelography. Diagnostic manipulations are carried out under the control of an x-ray using a contrast medium with the introduction into the spinal canal. This study is used infrequently due to the large number of possible complications.
Based on the data obtained, the doctor makes a diagnosis, selects the appropriate treatment, taking into account the degree of damage to the nerve endings.
How to treat intercostal neuralgia on the left? Therapy is aimed at stopping unpleasant symptoms, eliminating the root cause of discomfort.
At the beginning of treatment, the following recommendations are indicated:
- when pain occurs, observe bed rest for several days;
- sleep on a hard mattress and a special orthopedic pillow;
- NSAIDs (Movalis, Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, Diclofenac) are recommended as analgesics. Medicines cope not only with discomfort, but also affect the inflammatory process;
- muscle relaxants (Baclofen, Sirdalud, Midokalm) will help eliminate muscle spasm, which is a common cause of pinching of nerve endings;
- Foods rich in vitamins of group B must be included in the diet. It is important to take multivitamin preparations (Neuromultivit, Milgamma), which positively affect the nervous system of the victim, strengthen immunity.
Why do injections of Movalis help? Read the indications for the use of an effective drug.
The causes of back pain in the left side of the lower back and methods for eliminating discomfort are written in this article.
Go to the address and learn about the symptoms of piriformis syndrome on the left and about the features of the treatment of pathology.
If the cause of thoracic radiculitis is a disease of the spine, the patient is prescribed physiotherapy:
- acupuncture. Special needles are introduced into biologically active points. The relief of pain, muscle relaxation is already observed in the first session, to obtain the best therapeutic effect, an acupuncture course of ten sessions is required;
- massotherapy. Warming ointments for back pain are used. Manipulations cope with unpleasant sensations, contribute to muscle relaxation, trigger metabolic processes;
- osteopathy. It improves blood circulation, lymph drainage, establishes a balance between various systems and organs in the human body;
- Shiatsu. A special technique of Japanese massage, in which the specialist presses on the biologically active points associated with the damaged area. Thus, discomfort is reduced, the body’s defenses are stimulated;
- special gymnastics performed on simulators under the guidance of a trainer. At home, exercise therapy with left-side thoracalgia is prohibited. Improper exercise can lead to an acute pain attack, worsening the situation.
After stopping the discomfort, take care of the spine, chest area from overstrain. Do not lift weights, choose a comfortable pillow and orthopedic mattress. If you abandon health care after stopping discomfort, this will lead to relapse, poor health, and the appearance of complications.
Today, about 45% of people after 25 years of age suffer from various diseases related to bone tissue. The blame for the sedentary lifestyle, the lack of regular physical training, an unbalanced diet. Therefore, the question of the prevention of left-side intercostal neuralgia is relevant.
- avoid hypothermia, viral infections;
- refuse to lift weights or perform manipulations correctly, evenly distributing the weight;
- consult a doctor in time, treat other diseases;
- minimize the use of alcoholic beverages, stop smoking;
- strengthen the immune system, take multivitamin preparations regularly.
About what intercostal neuralgia is and how to treat an ailment will tell Elena Malysheva in the following video:
Intercostal neuralgia: recommendations of doctors for the treatment of chest neuralgia
Stock! 30% discount on all types of manual therapy.
A sudden attack can bring a person out of balance, scare and make you wary. The pain dissecting the chest “hits” hard, gives it to the lumbar region or stomach and returns to the heart. All this complements the feeling of lack of air, the inability to make a full breath. Among all the reasons for the development of this condition, the most probable is intercostal neuralgia, which in Greek means “pain along the nerves.”
What is intercostal neuralgia
The disease is always accompanied by pain that goes along the intercostal nerve. Its branches penetrate each gap between the ribs on both sides of the chest. The nerve structures of this area lie territorially down to the anterior abdominal wall. This is the main reason why sharp pain radiates to different parts of the body. She is often attributed to the symptoms of diseases of the lungs, heart, stomach, liver, and pancreas.
In case of damage to the sensitive nerve fibers, pain appears, motor – shortness of breath and breathing problems, vegetative – excessive sweating in the chest area. Experts say that the pain is so severe that it is often mistaken for a heart attack, stomach ulcer, or other serious pathology. The main differences:
- the doctor may feel for the source of pain;
- the discomfort is intense and lasts for hours (sometimes days).
Pathology manifests itself mainly in middle and older age. Until this moment, the disease practically does not occur.
Neuralgia on the left side of the thoracic region
Signs of the disease often appear on one side of the body, because of this, the attack is mistaken for a symptom of malfunctioning of any internal organ. With pain on the left, it is easy to confuse the pathology with a heart attack. With intercostal neuralgia, pain in the left chest is very strong. Sometimes they are supplemented by shortness of breath, which is very similar to heart.
The most severe pain can occur below the scapula, in the spinal column and in front of the chest. Unpleasant sensations are often very sharply given to the left shoulder and arm, shooting the limb to the very brush. Great discomfort pervades the body with simple breaths, a change in body position, with coughing and loud conversation.
It becomes a little easier when a person with intercostal neuralgia leans in the healthy (in this case, to the right) side. Such a turn of the torso allows you to reduce pressure on the nerve roots due to the expansion of intercostal spaces. When a neurologist conducts an examination, he may focus on areas with reduced sensitivity, redness of the skin, or pale skin.
Symptoms of this kind do not cause concern in patients, but they are taken into account by the doctor for differential diagnosis. The condition does not pose a danger to life, so therapy is carried out on an outpatient basis. In the absence of effect, a short hospitalization of the patient is possible.
Neuralgia on the right under the ribs
Right-sided pathology is less common. Pain in this area is usually not perceived as deadly, and therefore patients in most cases do not go to the doctors. This behavior does not cause approval among specialists, because discomfort can be quickly removed, it is not necessary to endure it for a long time.
In some situations, neuralgia can deprive a person of the ability to perform normal labor functions. It literally paralyzes the patient, depriving him of the ability to move normally. Pain symptoms often go along the intercostal space, as if encircling the body. The slightest overstrain can bring torment. When palpating, the pain increases, acquires a shooting character.
The treatment of the disease does not differ much from the treatment of left-sided intercostal neuralgia. Of the general recommendations – sleeping on a hard mattress, giving up large pillows, limiting exercise and all kinds of activity. Specialists prescribe corrective measures to relieve the acute stage and normalize well-being.
Symptoms of Chest Neuralgia
Intercostal neuralgia of the chest occurs due to irritation of the nerve branches of the department. You can recognize it by the following symptoms:
- pain in the side of the trunk or chest;
- enduring discomfort in the back, girdle pain lumbar to the chest;
- with pressure on the nerve provocateur, a pain symptom develops, it intensifies, grows stronger when turning, bending, coughing.
Additionally, numbness of the skin in the places of lumbago, muscle twitching, increased tone of muscle fibers, and vegetative disorders can be observed. As partial paralysis of the muscle corset develops in the chest, shortness of breath due to compression of the lungs may occur.
Diagnosis of breast neuralgia
First of all, at the appointment, the doctor collects the patient’s complaints, finds out the circumstances of the appearance of the symptoms of the disease. The specialist asks suggestive questions that help him identify:
- when the first symptoms of the disease appeared;
- how pain manifests itself, how long the attack lasts, what medications it relieves;
- whether the patient has a history of trauma and mechanical damage to the chest;
- were there not so long ago infectious diseases of the lungs.
In the office of the clinic, a neurological examination is performed with palpation of the affected area. To clarify the clinical picture, the patient is sent for tests. He is assigned a general blood test (KLA), which can show abnormalities and signs of inflammation in the body. Electrocardiography is also done to evaluate the electroactivity of the heart, which eliminates pathologies in the work of the heart muscle. To exclude diseases of the stomach and esophagus, fibrogastroduodenoscopy is performed.
Intercostal Neuralgia Treatment
During attacks, bed rest with placement on a hard surface, applying heat to the chest (heating pad), using warming ointments, taking medications with anesthetic effect is recommended. When the acute moment passes, the doctor may prescribe vitamin therapy with predominant consumption of B vitamins, acupuncture, medications against inflammation, pain. Hormone-containing anti-inflammatory formulas may also be recommended.
Painkillers such as Spazgan, Spazmalgon, non-steroidal pain medications such as Diclofenac, Ibuprofen and anticonvulsants will help relieve pain during an intercostal neuralgia attack. Antidepressants, muscle relaxants can be prescribed.
To blunt the discomfort, breathing exercises are performed. It is strictly forbidden to prescribe medication yourself. The patient needs a thorough examination under the supervision of a doctor. In the opposite case, taking pills and using ointments can give the exact opposite effect.
Physiotherapeutic techniques give a good effect, relieving discomfort and pain. Examples of effective therapy include microwave exposure through electromagnetic field energy and darsonvalization. The latter technique involves the use of a profile apparatus that allows you to work with high-frequency pulse currents.
- stimulates blood circulation in the treatment area;
- activates cellular metabolism;
- anesthetizes, relieves spasmodic attacks.
At the time of cramping, UV irradiation, UHF and UHF therapy showed itself well. Often, the patient is prescribed electrophoresis using an ice-cain supplement.
If intercostal neuralgia occurs against a background of spinal column diseases, therapeutic mud is prescribed in the form of applications for painful areas, paraffin therapy, and Sollux lamp radiation. By increasing the body temperature in the treated areas, the doctor expands the blood vessels, improves blood supply to tissues, strengthens metabolic processes.
Gentle manual exposure allows delicately treating painful parts of the body, restoring physiologically correct parameters of the location of internal organs and structures. As a result of the wizard:
- the vertebrae fall into place;
- muscle tone returns to normal;
- the effect of general healing is achieved.
An experienced specialist of the doctor’s clinic, Doctor Lenght quickly and accurately detects violations, immediately eliminates them, achieving restoration of normal health.
The founder of the clinic, S.V. Dlin, is known for his proprietary techniques based on the best achievements of Russian medicine and progressive Western directions. In the course of using such products, it is possible to obtain a lasting effect that lasts as long as possible.
How to treat intercostal neuralgia on the left?
In another way, this disease is called “thoracic radiculitis.” Its manifestation is often disguised as a disease of internal organs, although in fact the cause is pinching or compression of the nerve root in various forms of osteochondrosis.
Treatment of intercostal neuralgia on the left is carried out after a differential diagnosis, in which all possible diseases with similar symptoms are eliminated. Since we are talking about neuralgia on the left side – this is the vast majority of cases of heart disease: heart attack, angina pectoris and others.
Characteristics of the disease
The disease is characterized by acute pain in the area of nerves passing between the ribs. Treatment of intercostal neuralgia on the left will be successful if correctly diagnosed. It is challenging because this disease has common symptoms with most heart diseases. Before treating intercostal neuralgia on the left, you need to discard all diseases of the internal organs located on the left side of the chest. These, in addition to the heart, may include the stomach, spleen, and lungs.
Intercostal left-side neuralgia can have symptoms of diseases of these organs, therefore, its diagnosis and treatment should be carried out by qualified doctors who can not only accurately differentiate this disease, but also prescribe the correct course of treatment, including physiotherapy sessions, vitaminization and the use of medications.
The causes of this disease may be:
- lesions of the nervous system;
- consequences of various injuries;
- tumors in the bones of the ribs or spine (see Metastases in the spine);
- consequences of taking medications.
All about intercostal neuralgia in women: signs, main goals of treatment.
Read about cervical neuralgia: features of the course of the disease and treatment methods.
Left-sided intercostal neuralgia is generally difficult to diagnose. The process of identifying it is long enough, because you have to unambiguously reject all diseases that masquerade as it, which can take some time.
Symptomatology of the disease
How does intercostal neuralgia on the left side hurt? Pain, as a rule, manifests itself very sharply and can have a aching or burning character. But this is not one of the possible signs of the disease.
Signs of intercostal neuralgia on the left also include numbness of muscle and skin tissue along the path of the nerve from the spinal column to the area between the ribs.
Nerve compression can be either at the point of exit from the spine, or at any point where the process passes near the muscle between the ribs.
How can I determine the intercostal neuralgia on the left:
- pain sensations will be especially bright in the areas of muscles between the ribs, especially closer to the bones of the spine on the left side;
- pain manifestations can have great strength not in the region of the spine, but closer to the outer left side of the ribs, and since one or two nerves are involved, from time to time the localization of pain will be difficult.
There is a clear correlation between physical activity in intercostal neuralgia and the symptoms of the disease: any movement of the chest leads to exacerbation of pain on the left under the ribs. It calms down a little a few minutes after the movement is completed.
Additionally, with intercostal neuralgia, the following symptoms can be observed on the left side of the heart: a tingling sensation or burning sensation, short-term twitching of the rib muscles, aching bone pain.
Sometimes intercostal neuralgia is accompanied by pain symptoms on the left under the scapula; this is observed in the case of extensive damage to the intercostal nerves, coming from 3 and 4 vertebrae of the thoracic region.
Common signs of how intercostal neuralgia appears on the left can also be: cramps, sweating, sleep disturbance.
Diagnosis of the disease
The beginning of this process occurs at the general practitioner. He gives the appointment of the necessary tests and directs the patient to specialists of a narrower profile. Diagnosis of intercostal neuralgia on the left under the ribs consists of a large number of directions, identifying various chronic diseases, analyzing the patient’s injuries and the surgical interventions he has undergone.
In any case, the following actions are performed:
- manual examination, which aims to determine the causes of the disease;
- localization of pain and muscle tone is determined;
- a comprehensive neurological examination is performed, violation of the sensitivity of the upper extremities is assessed.
The main tools for diagnosing this disease are:
- Ultrasound is used as an auxiliary method, since the high density of bone tissue does not allow a good monitoring of the nature of damage to the nervous tissue.
- The use of x-rays allows you to explore the structure of bones and more accurately localize the pinched nerves. It is used quite widely and, most likely, will be assigned without fail.
- Computed tomography allows a comprehensive analysis of nerve and bone tissue, however, due to the nature of functioning, it is more often (like x-rays) used to analyze bone tissue pathologies. In the case of applying contrast, it gives good results in the study of processes in the nervous tissue, that is, its use in conjunction with myelography is desirable.
- MRI allows the most complete analysis of pathologies of all tissues and is currently the most accurate diagnostic procedure used for cases of this kind.
Intercostal neuralgia is not a particular threat to the patient, despite the fact that its symptoms consisting of acute pain and other sensations on the left under the ribs are very unpleasant (see Treatment of pain with intercostal neuralgia). Treatment in the active phase is mainly symptomatic. This does not mean at all that it will not include getting rid of the causes of the disease.
The treatment of this kind of disease is a long and painstaking process that requires a serious approach and mandatory completion, as often repeated pain attacks do not allow the patient to live normally.
The initial stage of treatment includes:
- a course of vitamins B6 and B12, restoring nerve fibers.
In acute forms of the disease or complications, apply:
- analgesic blockade;
- electrophoresis procedures;
- the introduction of sedatives;
- bed rest.
Treatment includes manual therapy and massage. Wearing a corset and exercise therapy is recommended. The treatment plan for each is individual and requires the coordinated actions of all doctors: from the therapist to the neurologist.
With acute pain in the case of this disease, the treatment of medications comes to the fore. There are a lot of them and it is impossible to give any recommendations in the general case, we name only the main groups:
- pain relievers;
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- local anesthetics.
Learn about intercostal neuralgia in the heart: the main symptoms, differential diagnosis.
Note to future mothers! Intercostal neuralgia during pregnancy: self-correction and self-help.
Left-sided intercostal neuralgia is a non-dangerous, but very unpleasant disease. Her diagnosis and treatment lasts a long time and requires a lot of effort. Ignoring symptoms with simple anesthesia will not lead to a positive result. Complex therapy and constant monitoring are required.