Why do the joints connecting the foot to the leg bone hurt? There can be many reasons. The joint has an unusually complex structure and connects the surfaces of three bones at once, to which several ligaments are attached. Therefore, problems with any of these elements can cause discomfort.
Most often, pain in the ankle joint occurs when walking and indicates injury. At the same time, excruciating sensations are characterized by inconstancy. The more specific nature of the ailment is typical for pathologies of the musculoskeletal system or damage to internal organs.
Shishkevich Vladimir, orthopedic and traumatologist, project editor-in-chief ExpertNews.
I have been treating joints for many years. I can say with confidence that the joints are always treatable, even in the very ripe old age.
Hondrostrong is an innovative drug that is created to combat joint diseases. It helps with arthritis, arthrosis and other diseases. Thanks to the use of cream, joint mobility quickly returns. Damaged cartilage tissue is regenerated, which prevents the further development of the problem.
Our medical center was the first to receive certified access to the latest drug for osteochondrosis and joint pain - Hondrostrong. I confess to you when I heard about it for the first time, I just laughed, because I did not believe in its high efficiency.
But I was amazed when we completed testing: 4567 people were completely cured of diseases of the organs of the musculoskeletal system, and this is more than 94% of all subjects. 5.6% felt significant improvement, and only 0.4% did not notice any improvement.
Hondrostrong cream allows you to forget about back and joint pain in the shortest possible time, literally from 4 days, and even very difficult cases can be cured within a couple of months. In addition, the manufacturer of this product is now offering a 50% discount of the full cost of .
- Other reasons
- First a >
- Which doctor treats ankle pain?
- Treatment of ankle pain
- Useful video about ankle pain
- Diagnosis and treatment of ankle pain
- Causes of pain
- Other possible causes
- Concomitant symptoms
- Conducting diagnostics
- Why does the bone on the ankle of the leg hurt sideways
- Ankle structure
- Symptoms of injuries in ankle pain
- Other causes of pain
- Causes of pain with increased swelling
- Edema is also possible with:
- First aid for injuries
- Long-term therapy against pain
- Prevention against ankle pain
- Ankle pain: causes, symptoms and methods of eliminating pain
- Etiology of pain
- Sudden pain in the ankle
- Arthritis Ankle
- Arthrosis, Gout
- How to get rid of ankle pain
- Traditional recipes
The most common cause of ankle pain. Such injuries can cause excruciating sensations:
- damage to the ligaments of the inner and outer surfaces of the joint;
- calcaneus or ankle fracture;
- dislocation with displacement and without.
If the ankle hurts while walking, the cause is most likely damage to the ligaments. This is a fairly common trauma that patients receive without noticing it themselves. Depending on the degree of damage, there are 3 stages of malaise:
- Easy. It is manifested by redness of the skin over the site of damage and pain while walking.
- Medium. It is accompanied by tangible discomfort in the joint and impaired motor activity.
- Strong She is accompanied by acute bone pain with the inability to lean on her leg. The ankle joint increases in size, reddens and becomes hot to the touch.
If the limb hurts from the inside, this indicates a rupture of the medial ligament. In case of discomfort on the right or left on the outer surface of the ankle, one can assume an injury to the calcaneofibular or anterior (posterior) talus-fibular cord.
The ankle hurts when walking and after a joint or heel fracture. In this case, the patient has the following symptoms:
- severe swelling with hematoma;
- sharp pain;
- foot displacement to the side.
The appearance of excruciating sensations in the heel also indicates a crack or fracture. This is a fairly rare injury encountered after a failed jump or fall from a height.
Another culprit of pain in the ankle while walking can be a dislocation of the joint. Such trauma often occurs in overweight patients and people with weak ligaments. If subluxations follow one after another, the risk of developing arthrosis increases sharply. Joint displacement of the bones is manifested by edema, hematoma, severe soreness. The joint thickens and changes shape.
It happens that the discomfort in the joint occurs without injury. The cause of pain in the ankle joint is the pathology of the cartilage, among which the following are most important:
Arthritis affects the synovial membrane of the joint. The leg in the ankle swells, a feeling of stiffness in the morning appears, mobility is impaired. The joint area turns red and becomes hot. Soreness more often occurs at night. Cartilage deformation gradually develops, nearby muscles atrophy.
Why does the ankle joint still hurt? The culprit of the ailment may be arthrosis, in which the destruction of the entire musculoskeletal system occurs. The main symptoms of this ailment are:
- aching joint pain;
- crunching while moving;
- ankle swelling (noted after exercise and in the morning);
- deformation of bone and cartilage joints.
The ankle joint also hurts with achillitis. The disease is manifested by inflammation of the calcaneal tendons, discomfort during walking. In the chronic form of tendonitis, the patient complains of burning and tension in the calf, pain in the ankle joint, swelling and loss of flexibility. Over time, tendons thicken and shorten, lameness and rapid tiredness from walking appear.
If the ankle hurts at night, it is most likely a gout. The discomfort is so strong that it is impossible to touch the inflamed joint. In this case, the lesion site swells and reddens. The patient cannot walk and is forced to maintain bed rest throughout the acute period.
Soreness in the ankle joint can also occur when the venous circulation in one or both limbs worsens. Discomfort is provoked by swelling and squeezing of tissues. There is a feeling of heaviness in the legs, rapid fatigue when walking. Sometimes pain in the ankle joint becomes a sign of infectious inflammation of both the joint itself and the muscles adjacent to it.
Often the ankle joint swells and becomes inflamed for no apparent reason. The patient did not fall anywhere, did not hit and did not tuck his foot, and it hurt to stand on his leg. A variety of factors can provoke this condition:
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar. In this case, the discomfort is sharp, shooting character.
- Malignant tumor. The leg, as a rule, begins to hurt already in the late stages of the lesion. Discomfort occurs at night or when the patient is in a horizontal position for a long time. If the neoplasm captures the sphenoid bone, the pain is localized not only in the ankle joint, but also spreads to the top of the foot.
- An increased load on the joint during pregnancy leads to unpleasant sensations.
The cause of pain in the ankle can be uncomfortable shoes, high-heeled shoes, standing work, too tight elastic on the toes.
First a >
Photo from the website pielegniarkadodomu.pl
First aid is usually required when injured. It consists in the following actions of the victim himself or those present nearby;
- fixing the ankle with a bandage or any suitable dressing;
- limiting the load on the leg;
- applying ice to an inflamed area.
For severe joint pain in the ankle, 1-2 tablets of an analgesic (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac) should be taken or, if the condition allows, apply an anti-inflammatory ointment (Voltaren, Troxevasin).
To eliminate serious joint damage, you should approach a specialist as soon as possible. If there is a fracture or rupture of the ligament, it is necessary to call a team of doctors.
With exacerbation of gout, first aid is to provide rest and quick pain relief. The affected leg should be kept in an elevated state, an ice compress (pieces of ice wrapped in a napkin) should be applied to the inflamed area. This method helps to reduce the intensity of pain and reduce swelling.
Which doctor treats ankle pain?
Which doctor should I go to when the ankle joint is aching? First of all, you need to go to a traumatologist. Even if the leg does not hurt due to a fracture or rupture of ligaments, the specialist will examine and prescribe treatment or refer to another doctor.
If there is no such profile in the local clinic of a doctor, it is recommended to visit a local therapist or make an appointment with a family doctor.
Several diagnostic methods are known with which to determine the cause of pain in the ankle joint. First, the doctor conducts an external examination of the patient with palpation of the joint, asks about the symptoms and specifies the time of occurrence of discomfort. To confirm the initial diagnosis, a number of laboratory and instrumental studies are performed:
If the pain in the ankle started unexpectedly and is not a symptom of trauma or pathology of the motor apparatus, a complete clinical examination is prescribed for the patient.
Treatment of ankle pain
What to do if the ankle joint hurts and achs? The articulation must be seriously treated, and the methods of therapy should depend on the cause of the discomfort.
With bruising, slight sprain or subluxation, you can do the usual home care. Fracture and rupture of cords requires hospitalization. Such damage is treated long and hard.
Basic principles of ankle joint therapy for trauma:
- immobilization of the joint with a plaster cast or orthosis;
- the use of NSAIDs and painkillers – Analgin, Ibuprofen, Aertal, Nimesil, Nemuleks, Ketorol;
- surgical intervention if necessary;
- the use of orthopedic appliances.
During the recovery period, the patient is prescribed physiotherapeutic procedures, exercises to restore the flexibility of the joint.
When the ankle joints are sore against the background of a synovia lesion or cartilage tissue dystrophy, the following drugs are used:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs of the non-steroidal group – Voltaren, Diclofenac, Ortofen. They can be in ointments, injections or tablets.
- Chondroprotectors – Arthra, Structum.
- Glucocorticoids – Prednisone, Betamethasone, Triamcinolone.
If the ankles on both legs hurt, the treatment is carried out similarly to the above.
To combat gouty inflammation, analgesics and NSAIDs alone are not enough. The patient is recommended medications to reduce the level of hyperuricemia: Colchicum, Allopurinol, Adenurik.
If the ankle joint hurts due to damage to the veins and the legs get very tired when walking, treatment involves the following measures:
- the use of local drugs to improve blood flow (Troxevasin, Venorutan, Heparin ointment, Lyoton, Dolobene);
- wearing compression underwear;
- daily limb massage.
Therapy allows, if you do not completely get rid of the disease, then significantly improve your well-being, relieve inflammation and swelling, and stop the further development of pathology.
In general, the main treatment for pain in the ankle joint should be aimed not so much at alleviating the symptoms as at eliminating the root cause of the discomfort. Therefore, if any unpleasant sensations in the joint appear, you should consult a doctor, and not engage in amateur performances. After all, not only bruises and dislocations, but also other, much more serious ailments, can provoke malaise.
Posted by: Elena Medvedeva, Doctor,
specially for Ortopediya.pro
Useful video about ankle pain
List of sources:
- Restoring the shape and function of the ankle joint / O. V. Oganesyan, S. V. Ivannikov, A. V. Korshunov // Binom, Medicine, 2003.
- Joint diseases. Manual for Doctors / Ed. V.I. Mazurova.// St. Petersburg SpetsLit, 2008.
- Joint diseases / O. N. Rodionova. // M .: Vector, 2012.
Diagnosis and treatment of ankle pain
Pain is localized in the ankle joint, it occurs very often in a person, nobody is insured, and there are cases when such problems arise due to other reasons. Experts note that unpleasant sensations of this kind can be associated with the tibia, as well as the talus or fibula. Due to such a variety of options, it is not possible to independently determine the cause of the pain, and even more so to choose any medications and ointments. If you have any concerns, you should immediately contact a qualified specialist and undergo an examination. Pain in the ankle joint is a very serious symptom that can lead to dangerous problems.
We recall that in this area there are not only bones, but also the muscles responsible for flexion of the limb. Pain syndrome in the overwhelming majority of cases appears with a bruise, fracture, as well as a dislocation or sprain, and arthrosis and arthritis should be distinguished among common diseases.
Causes of pain
Many people are perplexed when this kind of pain appears for the first time, especially if nothing bodes this. Here are the main problems and pathological changes due to which it appears:
- Mechanical damage, that is, injuries affecting not only the ankle joint, but also the foot;
- Dystrophic diseases;
- Pathological inflammatory processes that occur in the joint;
- Achilles tendon problems.
As mentioned earlier, mechanical damage leads the list of common problems for the occurrence of such pain. This may include:
- Stretching or even complete rupture of ligaments;
- Fracture of the ankle or other bone (e.g., tibia);
- Problems associated with the phalanges of the toes;
- Dislocation of the foot and so on.
Such violations may appear even because a person unsuccessfully steps on his foot, turning his foot in a certain direction, and patients who fall from a rather high height to the heel also often come to medical facilities. We also mention subluxations, which are often diagnosed in people who are overweight, and they often have no other reasons for the development of this damage.
Problems can arise due to weak ligaments, which in most cases ends with constant turns of the leg. Damage resulting from such injuries, fortunately, this kind of damage disappears within a week, if you give the foot a rest from stress. If you try to step on it and continue to load as usual, then the problem can drag on for up to 1 month, in the most serious cases even irreversible dystrophic changes can occur. Frequent dislocations and turns of the legs can significantly increase the risk of developing a disease such as arthrosis, since all this extremely negatively affects the cartilage tissue of the joints.
The fact is that in the absence of quick and competent medical care, serious complications will begin to appear, which include not only pain and other symptoms, but also internal changes. One of these complications is deforming arthrosis of the joint, which is accompanied by its swelling, as well as a significant restriction of movements. The treatment of arthrosis of this kind is an extremely difficult task, which not every doctor can afford.
Other possible causes
It should be mentioned that it is not only injuries and diseases that are localized here that can cause pain in this area. Often this can also provoke stress for other reasons, for example, due to:
- The presence of standing or sedentary work;
- Problems associated with nutrition (improperly prepared diet can lead to malnutrition of the joints, and, consequently, to its weakening);
- Development of scleroderma;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Regular wearing of uncomfortable or poor-quality shoes that spoil your foot and lead to flat feet and other diseases, and this, in turn, results in an uneven distribution of the load on the joints and pain in them.
In no case should you try to make a diagnosis on your own or identify the causes if this happened as a result of an injury or any violation you did not know. Turning to a specialist will significantly speed up this process and make sure that the diagnosis is uniquely correct. Thus, you save time that can be spent on preventing the further development of the problem and fighting it.
Yes, the ankle joint can be ill due to various reasons, as has already been described, therefore, the accompanying symptoms in this manifestation can be quite diverse. Here are common problems and symptoms that accompany them:
- Sprain. Almost no one can be protected from such an injury, because it can occur due to the fact that a person simply stumbles. A sharp pain appears in the leg, and it will also be possible to notice swelling of a different nature, the size of which depends entirely on the severity of the damage. Note that when you touch the ankle in this case, the pain noticeably increases.
- Ankle fracture. If an external ankle injury occurs, the symptoms will be about the same as with a sprain, the only difference is the increase in joints in volume, as well as the appearance of sharp pain even when trying to move in the joint.
- Calcaneus fracture. Such injuries are also not uncommon, and their symptoms consist in a slight turn of the heel and in its thickening. A person will not be able to stand on his leg due to such an injury, and the manifestations of the problem will noticeably increase when you click on it.
- Fracture of the diaphysis. If the injury affects the diaphysis located in the metatarsal bones, then a hematoma will become a characteristic symptom. The leg will significantly increase in size, and pain will also appear when moving the foot.
- Subluxation or complete dislocation. If a dislocation occurs, the injuries also affect the patient’s ankle, and the first symptoms that can be noticed are manifestations of changes in the joints. This may include their thickening, as well as a significant turn in the heel, on the other side, hematomas of extremely large sizes almost always form. As for the subluxation, this injury involves only a partial exit of the joint from the joint bag, and it manifests itself with the same symptoms, only they are not so pronounced. We recall that this kind of injury, that is, subluxation, is often the result of gaining extra weight, which creates additional load, and the reason for its receipt may be the weakness of the ligaments.
- Deforming arthrosis. A defeat of this kind in most situations captures not only one joint, but not even several, since the entire musculoskeletal system of a person suffers from it. Deforming arthrosis can manifest itself in different ways, but among the signs that are always observed, swelling of the joint, as well as the appearance of muscle pain, impaired gait and a significant restriction of movements should be highlighted.
As already mentioned earlier, it is very important to diagnose with this and any other ailment or disorder. The fact is that without it it will only be possible to get rid of the existing manifestations, and the main cause of the disease will not be eliminated, which will undoubtedly lead to serious complications and to further progression of the disease itself. Here are the main diagnostic methods used by doctors:
- Roentgenography. This procedure is the most common, as it has an excellent overview effect, that is, it makes it possible to study the condition of bone tissue in the ankle. Of course, in some situations, an examination of this kind will not be enough, but at the beginning of the diagnosis and in the absence of contraindications, an x-ray is still taken.
- Computed or magnetic resonance imaging. Such examination methods are much more accurate and informative. With their help, a specialist can thoroughly study the condition of even the soft tissues of the ankle, which will help to identify any ailment. Of course, for this reason, the procedures cannot be called cheap, they are carried out only if there is a need for such a study, because the same fracture can be detected using an ordinary x-ray.
Yes, magnetic resonance imaging will help to identify the cause of any pain, but in most cases it will start with taking tests, taking an anamnesis and consulting.
We mention right away that treatment should always be based on this problem, which was identified during the diagnosis, but we must not forget about the existing disorders, here are other goals that doctors set for therapy:
- Normalization of the circulatory process in the region of the ankle joint;
- Decreased vascular wall permeability;
- Solving problems associated with exudate and more.
As for the removal of the most painful sensations, for this, specialists use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with anesthetic effect and ointments with a local effect. The use of such means, as you might guess, may well be carried out at home.
If an injury occurs, it is important to deliver the victim as quickly as possible to the doctor, here are the basic first aid measures, which are important to remember:
- Immobilize a limb;
- Make a compress or apply ice;
- When a stretch occurs, apply a bandage, it must be so;
- Keep your leg elevated so you can reduce blood flow.
Specialists diagnose the problem and prescribe painkillers, and with complicated injuries it is even possible to have surgery, but his doctors always try to avoid it if possible (the fact is that the operations have serious risks).
Why does the bone on the ankle of the leg hurt sideways
When a bone on the leg hurts (on the side of the ankle), the problem is associated with a change in the position of the bone. The main bone of the ankle, the talus, can move and cause external and internal pain. This creates discomfort, pain, and with prolonged development can lead to joint diseases. Damaged tissue can become inflamed and start one of the bone diseases.
Timely recognition of the cause of pain will help to avoid harmful consequences. If it is associated with an injury, prompt treatment with plaster linings and tires is used. If the discomfort is caused by bad shoes or joint diseases, the emphasis is on solving these problems.
The ankle consists of three bones. The main one is ram, it has a supporting function, connects all three bones together. It protrudes slightly in the side, with its diseases, a lump on the ankle is formed near the prominent bone. It is she who is most exposed to shock and injury. This bone hurts with injuries on the leg on the side of the ankle, from the outside.
The tibia and fibula, supplementing it, are rarely exposed to injuries and negative external influences. But they can be damaged.
Gathering symptoms helps determine the exact cause of the pulsation. They differ with dislocation, when the bone needs to be sorted out, with a fracture and problems of different bones, but an additional and mandatory measure of diagnosis is to visit a doctor to establish an accurate diagnosis.
For severe pain, an x-ray is prescribed, which is sent to the ankle region, and each of the three composite bones is examined for injuries.
Symptoms of injuries in ankle pain
Ankle cutting can be caused by several factors. Each has its own special symptoms that help to pre-determine the problem:
- Sprain. The patient experiences sharp pain in the ankle, markedly (but not necessarily) hemorrhage. It is accompanied by pain when probing the damaged area, movement and actions with a load on the affected area. Appearance is characteristic: the leg swells strongly, the heel and ankle swell the most. The heel turns inward.
- Fracture. After a sharp pain, a person also loses the ability to move, but it is more pulsating and dull. When probing the damaged area it hurts, and when moving, the pain is felt not only in the focus, but also higher along the development of the leg. It can give to the knee joint, but is often transmitted lower (ankle hurts). A fracture is divided into two likely causes of discomfort: a metatarsal bone fracture and a calcaneus fracture. Lumps on the aching ankle in the bone area may indicate a fracture. The calcaneus in case of damage characteristically turns out, preventing the patient from standing up and delivering severe pain. A fracture of the metatarsal bones can be distinguished by paying attention to a sharp edema, an extensive hematoma that extends to the inner part of the ankle. In both cases, the foot has a swollen appearance and outwardly increases, but is stronger when the metatarsal bones are injured.
- Dislocation of the legs. If the swollen bone on the leg hurts on the side (on the ankle), on the inside, then the patient has a dislocation.
Other causes of pain
It is not necessary to think that only a fracture or dislocation can be the cause. If the bone does not hurt on the injured leg on the side of the ankle, and the symptoms do not coincide with the descriptions of injuries, the problem may lie otherwise:
- Shoes are the wrong size. Models with a high bootleg touch the ankle, rub it and begin to put pressure on it. Even if the rubbing is not visible externally, (although a bump should usually protrude), it is felt by constant deaf pain. The easiest way to get rid of this problem. The rubbed area may become coarser, but then it is enough to rub it with a special roller.
- Gout, found in older men. Excess uric acid in the blood adversely affects the health of bones and joints, because of it a person experiences continuous discomfort.
- Among the injuries that caused the onset of unpleasant sensations, there is also a muscle rupture. This is the most serious damage, characterized by loss of motor function. The cause of injuries is careless actions, jumping, tucking up the foot.
- Arthritis. A disease caused by negative changes in the body can be called osteoarthritis and simply arthritis. Osteoarthritis is associated with age-related changes.
- Rheumatoid arthrosis. The disease develops in that group of people who constantly injures bones and joints, presses on the ankle, wears narrow and tightening shoes. The negative side of arthrosis is that when the primary cause of pain (shoes, unusual position) is eliminated, it does not disappear.
- Osteoarthrosis is characteristic of the elderly. Their joints wear out, lose their former functions and begin to constantly sore.
This list is not a complete list of reasons why you may experience discomfort. In addition to traumatic causes and those that develop, coupled with the suppression of joints and bones, there are weaker ailments that cause tingling and aching sensations.
Causes of pain with increased swelling
Edema often occurs in people with an active lifestyle. Constant presence on the legs leads to overstrain of the supporting limbs, malfunctions in their work. If during the day a person drank a lot of water, and he is prone to edema, then they will certainly appear by 8 o’clock in the afternoon. And edema is directly related to pain. The swelling area presses on the bones, muscles and joints.
Edema is characteristic during pregnancy, when the body undergoes multiple dysfunctions of various organs. For those types of people who feel discomfort in connection with work or position, home therapy, immersion of feet in soothing baths, applying ointments and healing extracts of herbs will be sufficient therapy.
Edema is also possible with:
- cardiovascular disorders that cause stagnation in blood circulation;
- problems with the kidneys and urinary system;
- varicose veins: expansion of veins and blood vessels when the skin is covered with blue nets;
- strong degrees of flat feet;
- metabolic dysfunctions;
First aid for injuries
In the event that the cause of the pain was an injury, the person who received it needs urgent medical attention. After a lightning call, the ambulance, an assistant located next to the patient, should provide first aid. In its absence, the likelihood of complications, pain shock, loss of consciousness of the victim increases several times.
A tightening bandage is applied to the ankle (where the seal is near), regardless of the specific injury: fracture or dislocation. A bandage should be made of a dense bandage, preferably specially designed for these manipulations. But, if this was not at hand, the usual one will do. The bandage should be pulled tight, but not blocking the patient’s blood flow. It is necessary to constantly ask the patient about the condition, pain, and whether he is satisfied with the quality of the bandage applied.
With open fractures and dislocations, hematomas and bleeding appear. The first type of hemorrhage is not dangerous, and the second requires an early exposure. The ankle area concentrates large vessels and veins, so blood loss may be irreparable. To stop the blood, the same dressing is enough, but a “herringbone” is applied around the wound area, and not from above. The bandage should squeeze the tissue around the wound because blood flows from there. Squeezing these areas slows the flow of blood and its exit from the wound. But the pressure on the injured area itself will only lead to increased bleeding, it is impossible to press too much.
To prevent inflammation, you need to treat the wound with alcohol.
Long-term therapy against pain
If the cause of the unpleasant sensations is insignificant (narrow shoes, incorrect position of the legs, light blow), the symptoms are eliminated with the help of baths, warming massage or acupuncture.
During pregnancy, severe edema, compression dressings are applied, the purpose of which is to reduce the accumulation of fluid and help the joints experience less pressure.
With injuries, treatment is more serious, prolonged and is prescribed by a doctor. In the event of a fracture, the ankle is X-rayed; if necessary, bone fragments are collected using surgery or skeletal extraction.
Plaster or splint is applied, the patient goes through a period of recovery and primary regeneration. With a dislocation, the displaced joint is first repaired. After a dislocation, a compression bandage is required.
2-3 days after the application of gypsum, pain is tried to reduce, starting to do a massage course. Massage techniques reduce the sensitivity of damaged areas, accelerate healing and help swellings resolve faster. The blood flow, which intensifies after massage manipulations, gives the injured place sufficient nutrients. A bump, if it continued to creep out before, quickly disappears.
Together with massage and therapeutic baths, exercise therapy and physiotherapy are prescribed. Physical therapy is a universal remedy for various causes of pain: sprains, recovery after a fracture, the presence of edema, chronic discomfort. Particular attention is paid to physiotherapy for disorders in the joints, when the bone increases in size. Water procedures and instrument massage quickly eliminate the negative effects.
The cause of walking problems may be a normal callus on the side. To get rid of it, a simple folk recipe is suitable.
Prevention against ankle pain
Preventive actions aimed at preventing, and not treating ailments, are more effective. It’s easier and easier to just eliminate the cause of the pain than to spend a lot of money and time on therapy.
To maintain ankle bones in good condition, doctors recommend:
- constantly make short, but load-bearing walks;
- train the ankle in other ways;
- when playing sports wear special supporting elements;
- Do not wear tight shoes or smaller models. if the shoe is rubbed, stretch it with the pad;
- monitor the amount of water consumed, metabolism and lifestyle;
- take calcium supplements internally to reduce the likelihood of joint disease;
- limit speeding and dangerous physical activities;
- Be careful at sporting events, when jumping, walking. it’s enough to hit the ankle to get injured.
The doctor gives recommendations that will help prevent ailments and maintain the health of an adult or child prone to joint and bone diseases.
But if the bone on the ankle hurts, and prevention does not help, it is urgent to consult a specialist.
Ankle pain: causes, symptoms and methods of eliminating pain
Every day a person takes thousands of steps, travels great distances. The ankle joint is often subjected to overloads and injuries. The pain can be sharp or gradually increasing. Ankle pain how to treat? We will understand why pain occurs, and we will find the most effective methods of therapy.
Pain in the ankle joint
Etiology of pain
The causes of pain in the ankle can be different. They can be divided into two large groups:
The pain in the affected limb during trauma is sharp and severe, and there are additional characteristic symptoms for each type of injury. Most often, this type of pathology occurs in people leading an active lifestyle, playing sports.
Non-traumatic lesions leading to the appearance of pain, in turn, are divided into the following diseases:
Constant pain when walking develops when there is a heel spur, flat feet or clubfoot.
Sudden pain in the ankle
The predisposing factor in this case is most often a leg injury. This may be a sprain, rupture, dislocation, fracture, or other pathology. Injury to the extremity leads to severe pain. To correctly determine the type of damage, you need to know what are the characteristic signs of each injury.
- Sprain As a rule, periarticular tissues, namely ligaments and muscles, undergo stretching. Stretching occurs at the moment when the foot rotates incorrectly (the leg is twisted, for example, when walking in high heels). Immediately after the injury has occurred, severe swelling joins the pain. It is impossible to touch the ankle, and flexion of the foot inward provokes increased pain.
- Injury. It is also accompanied by severe pain, most often when a heavy object falls on a bone or periarticular region. Severe edema and hyperemia appear, subsequently a bruise lasts for a long time. The limb is limited in movement, the pain is constant.
- Dislocation. A characteristic feature of this injury is the wrong position of the foot, its pathological displacement. Also, the limb swells, movements in the ankle joint and independent movement are impossible.
It is categorically impossible to independently correct dislocations, it is urgent to contact a trauma doctor!
The Achilles tendon is located on the back of the ankle. Most often, increased physical activity, wearing narrow shoes, and tendon injuries lead to the development of inflammation. People whose calf muscles are short are more prone to this disease. Initially, pain in the leg is moderate and only bothers with movements, then it intensifies and becomes permanent.
The main population affected by this disease is the elderly. Joint inflammation can be of several types:
We will analyze each subspecies of inflammation in more detail in order to choose the right treatment.
- Rheumatoid. Failures in the body’s immune system cause the development of a pathological reaction in the joint tissue. Inflammation appears gradually, pain at first aching, then becomes pronounced. Gradually, deformation and stiffness of the ankle develop.
- Psoriatic. Differentiate this disease is easy enough. Pain and swelling in the ankle joint appear against a background of characteristic rashes on the skin. Psoriatic plaques can be not only on the skin in the joint area, but also on the entire body.
- Septic. It develops with a generalized bacterial infection, when microorganisms enter the bloodstream. In this case, this is a rather formidable complication of the underlying disease, often leading to disability in the absence of timely treatment.
- Osteoarthritis. Appears when the cartilaginous tissue of the ankle joints is worn out. The disease leads to thinning of the cartilage, the risk of their complete disappearance is high. The lack of treatment entails severe inflammatory changes in all joint tissues and muscles.
These diseases belong to arthrological pathology of a non-inflammatory nature. With this disease, a gradual wear of the cartilaginous layers of the articular surfaces occurs. The joint partially loses its motor and shock absorbing function. Due to severe damage to the cartilage, bone surfaces are increasingly affected.
They respond to constant trauma during movements of bone outgrowths. This leads to a significant limitation of the range of motion in the joint and an increase in pain. The ankle is gradually deformed, degenerative-dystrophic changes also cover the adjacent ligaments and muscles. Arthrosis is often formed during physical overload, after inflammation and trauma. The cause may be endocrinological pathology.
Gout is a joint pathology caused by a violation in the body of uric acid metabolism. At the same time, it accumulates in the blood, is deposited in the form of crystals in various tissues, including articular.
Gout is characterized by manifestations of acute arthritis, accompanied by fever, severe pain, swelling, and movement disorders. The skin over the joint turns red, it becomes hot to the touch. After the inflammation subsides, gouty deposits are found in the joint cavity. A clinic of gouty arthrosis is formed.
How to get rid of ankle pain
In the event that severe pain is caused by an injury, it is urgent to seek help from a traumatologist!
You can only temporarily relieve pain yourself: raise a limb, make a cold compress. Further treatment is determined by the doctor. With fractures, gypsum is applied. Bruises are treated without special devices.
When stretching and after setting the dislocation, it is recommended to apply bandage dressings, they can be removed only with the permission of the doctor. In all cases, it is necessary to create the maximum rest of the damaged limb, to move as far as necessary, using crutches or a cane. Severe pain syndrome is stopped by ingestion or intramuscular administration of pain medications.
It is not possible to get rid of gout, arthrosis and other diseases on your own. It is simply necessary to consult a doctor with constant pain and swelling of the legs. After differential diagnosis, anti-inflammatory, vascular drugs, drugs that restore cartilage are prescribed.
In conjunction with medicines, physiotherapeutic procedures are necessary. So, electrophoresis with novocaine helps to significantly reduce pain. Ultrasound promotes resorption of infiltrates. Ultraviolet effectively fights residual symptoms after dislocations, fractures, bruises. Physiotherapist consultation is required, treatment is carried out in courses of 7-15 procedures.
The use of alternative medicine is undesirable, but possible with the permission of a specialist after diagnosis. So, to alleviate the condition, you can use the following recipes:
- Compress from salted bacon. It is considered one of the most effective means. The fat plate is placed on a sore spot, covered with oilcloth and a warm scarf or towel.
- Honey and salt. Both ingredients are taken in equal proportions, mixed, applied to linen fabric. Then the compress is applied to the affected joint, covered with a film and a warm scarf.
- Compress from potatoes. Grind potatoes in a blender or on a grater and apply to the affected joint. After 20 minutes, remove.
- Homemade ointment. One glass of comfrey leaves and vegetable oil are taken. The mixture is brought to a boil and kept on low heat for 30 minutes. Next, you need to strain through cheesecloth and add two-thirds of a glass of beeswax. Apply in the morning and before going to bed for 30 minutes.
Pain in the ankle joint can be a consequence of various reasons. It is important to consult a doctor in time to diagnose a pathology. In this case, the treatment prescribed by the doctor will help eliminate the pain syndrome and, most importantly, prevent the possible development of the disease.